Wow.....it finally arrived

Phil Wright

Phil:

Good information!  My personal concern is that I will feel less vulnerable on the grass or dirt rather than the sidewalk or roads, especially when first starting out. There is a local park about 3 miles from my house and I will scope that area for adequate use. I am both excited and anxious!  Good to know the learning curve is pretty short if you are willing to spend the time.  I did have a very bad experience with a cheap electric unicycle that lasted only 30 minutes before it broke and I shipped it back.  I am expecting the 9BE+ to be much more sturdy and well built!   Also good to know that 6 is a good setting for the beginner. 

Thank you again, cheers, 

Jim

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jim,

yeah the grass is great as you will tip the Bot a number of times, so on grass its all good.

I got some black electricians tape and used it to apply the protection strips that come with the unit, I had big troubles with the sticky tape supplied making the protective strips stay on...

I taped the hell out of the sides and the calf areas with the black tape, so that once Im proficient I can peel it all off and the Bot will still be looking ok.

The first thing that struck me with the 9BO E+ was the weight....at 14+ kg its a very sturdy unit. Im 6ft tall and weigh around 90 kg so a lite unit wasnt going to cut it for me, this one is great. I have a few hills at my park and it takes them on quite simply.

Im still learning to turn, and there are times when I question the whole thing after a trip up, but once I hop back on and ride, i soon realise the reason I bought it in the first place.

i have tomorrow off and plan to spend the day on it and go for my first ride along Melbourne's Yarra River on the sealed path there, so it'll be fun im hoping.

Hope thats helped a bit, this is a great Forum with lots of advice - A month ago Id never heared or seen these things, and now Im hooked

Decided after 4 hrs of riding time - a cording to the App, to take the Bot for its first public outing.

I live in Melbourne CBD, close to the water, so a ride to Docklands was the go. Must admit the first few minutes riding along with people walking towards me were a bit nerve racking, but got through it ok.

Once down along the water we have a  bike/ skateboard/ running path which stretches out over a few hundred metres. I hopped on and away I went...not fast mind you, but id say around a comfy 10kmh, rode for a few minutes, stopped and turned back around to go the other way. 

I had 3 couples ask me about it, and take pics as I was riding along, so I guess I mustve looked like I knew what I was doing in their eyes anyway.

I rode out along the water which at times got a bit "hairy" as I nervously avoided getting too close to the edge.....lol

All in all I was happy with my first time in public ride, no big falls and all in all getting over my "public riding nervousness"...

I took a pic of Docklands today, it was a little overcast but a pleasant 22C

image.jpg

Thanks Jim, yeah Im sure you'll love it too.

Working 3 jobs, sometimes has me straining to get on it, but my gf has just moved to within 2 kms of me, so no doubt I'll be able to commute back and forth there...

keep us all up to date on your progress.

ps: is this your first ever wheel, or have you had others before this one?

Congratulations on your getting your wheel. Glad to read you're enjoying it.

Everyone learns at a different pace. Here's a few things that might help you.

1. Learn to mount and dismount your wheel comfortably. This will come become natural in time.

2. Practice controlled figure 8's. This will help balance out your left and right turning. You'll also learn where your weak points are in turning and balancing. Once you get really smooth doing this you'll notice how much easier it is to ride in more crowded areas.

3. Learn to ride slow, like walking speed. It's easy to ride fast but riding slow is useful in tight quarters.

4. Be aware of your surroundings. Be AWARE of your SURROUNDINGS. BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS! People in cars don't really pay attention to crosswalk sign/lights and are usually on their phone and in their own world.

There's a bunch more things I could list but some things are better left figuring out for yourself. Enjoy your wheel and enjoy the ride. ;) 

Phil:

Three jobs!  Wow, its amazing you find time to ride at all!   This will be my first real wheel.  I picked up a used one from Amazon a few weeks back (a cheap knockoff), it broke within about 30 minutes of me "learning" so I sent it back the next day. 

SerpentineGX, awareness of your surrounding is 100% spot on! 

Cheers,

Jim

JFP9, good to hear that you've upgraded to a good wheel.

A month ago, I was close to buying an Airwheel x3 until I saw a Youtube post they did and said it was a kids or beginner wheel, from there I looked at the Airwheel x8, and was a touch of a button away from buying it when I clicked on a clip showing the Ninebot One.....I was blown away, it looked like an "Iphone on wheels"...

I've been able to get 5 hrs riding/practicing time on it in the last week and am now able to hop on and off it quite easily, and the last 2 days have taken it "public" for a cpl of short 2-3 km rides with no accidents or spills so Im happy with that.

One needs to be very aware of surroundings, and whats coming up ahead, uneven ground, cobblestones, gutters etc, which for the experienced rider might be easy, but for me I just need a bit of practice with them. I have however comfortably moved over speed humps without issue, so Im sure its just a confidence thing.

Start slow, hold onto something, or someone and before long you too will be stretching your rides from 3 mtrs to 10mtrs to 50 mtrs and more from there...never thought Id get it as quickly as I have after 5 hrs on it, but something is clicking...

Enjoy your wheel

22 hours ago, SerpentineGX said:

Congratulations on your getting your wheel. Glad to read you're enjoying it.

Everyone learns at a different pace. Here's a few things that might help you.

1. Learn to mount and dismount your wheel comfortably. This will come become natural in time.

2. Practice controlled figure 8's. This will help balance out your left and right turning. You'll also learn where your weak points are in turning and balancing. Once you get really smooth doing this you'll notice how much easier it is to ride in more crowded areas.

3. Learn to ride slow, like walking speed. It's easy to ride fast but riding slow is useful in tight quarters.

4. Be aware of your surroundings. Be AWARE of your SURROUNDINGS. BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS! People in cars don't really pay attention to crosswalk sign/lights and are usually on their phone and in their own world.

There's a bunch more things I could list but some things are better left figuring out for yourself. Enjoy your wheel and enjoy the ride. ;) 

Me and my family ride at our small local park. Even though we are the only ones riding EUC's, the families and children around us are now accustomed to our presence. We now know how to ride slow at walking phase when there is congestion just like what @SerpentineGX stated. and I also agree that Figure 8 practice should be done as often times as you could which will serve as the core for making sudden and tight turns when needed. :)

3 hours ago, JFP9 said:

What a bummer!  It is Sat AM and My 9B1 is sitting on a FedEx truck in Tampa (20 miles away from my house) and I have to wait till Monday!  Aarrrggghhh!   The horror, the horror!   

image.jpeg

Go pick it up!

I'm riding about 15 to 20 miles a day :)   Whay I noticed is that I have not given a chance for my leg muscles to adjust so its actually getting harder to turn.   It been just over a week and I can't stop riding lol.  I'm hoping my legs catch up with my eagerness.   I am being more careful turning because i can feel the shakiness in my muscles 

I thought about heading out and picking it up, then decided to spend the day scoping out practice areas and checking the sidewalks.  I also drove out to a few parks of varing distances to check out the paths and parking.

And,  I need to review all those 'how to ride' YouTube videos too.  

Starting to get a little anxious.....excited, but also anxious.    

Cheers,

Jim

You'll love the bot. I have a "hoverboard" as well, in fact I got that first. I feel much safer on the ninebot because you don't have to coordinate two motors like on the two wheeled scooters. I wiped out badly on the hoverboard at speed and it isn't fun. It's easy to throw yourself off of one by accidentally moving one foot too much. You can't do that on the ninebot. I also really like that it takes work to learn how to ride it and it's worth it once you get really comfortable on it. Good luck and don't worry if it's tough at first. Keep at it.

Yea, I own a 2-wheel scooter as well.  don't like it at all.  too unstable. I took a bad spill backward getting off it. A few brushed ribs a few weeks back.   now it is collecting dust. I'll give it to my step son for campus scooting.  I'll keep everyone informed, but I am OK with the learning curve of the 9B1.  24 hrs and counting down....

My 9B1 arrived this morning!  So, I took a long lunch break and in about an hour I was able to ride consistently about 50-80 yards without falling off.  Of course my arms were flailing all over the place, but I was able to control the 9B1 (most of the time).   My biggest issue was staying relaxed and keeping my knees slightly bent. I also was having a rough time looking too far downfield....I could look only about 6 feet ahead; when I tried to look further my balance got wobbly and I had to ditch the Bot in the grass.  

I practiced at a park right near my house (see pic) so the Bot is dirty but not gouged up.  I wore my biking helmet, elbow pads and long pants.  I never really hit the dirt (which is good because I have a few bruised ribs) but I did have to jump off more than a few times.  It was in the mid-80's so I got sweaty pretty fast.  

YES, I am having a blast with it!!!  My only issue is my left ankle - the rubbing gave me a nice red bruise.  Tomorrow I will add extra padding to the 9B1 and my ankle. 

Another few hours on the grass and I will be ready to try the paths and sidewalk.  

Cheers,

Jim

564a2ab382d47_IMG_1504250691.thumb.jpg.b

564a29e65c44f_IMG_1500236653.thumb.JPG.b

Great you're enjoying your new NB1 and sounds like solid progress too.

i put a folded pair of socks inside my worn socks against ankle which really helped.  Also make sure when you start to try and turn twist your hips as it can put a lot of twist strain on your knees if you don't whilst learning.  My knees hurt slots but turning by twisting hips in the direction I wanted to turn really sorted it out.

Well done Jim, sounds like you've got the bug too...

the grass is a good place to start, and will help you transition to street and path use. The old ankle knocks are a part of learning on it I think, as Im nursing sore calves atm, and have had a few ankle knocks into the bargain which dont tickle...

Once you can hop on it without holding onto anything, you'll start to really get yr confidence on it, once again practice, practice.

My gf wants a bike for Xmas, so that we can go riding together so that'll be fun, just wish there were a few more hours in the day, so i could fit more ride time around work, but ohh well....we'll get there.

Im working tonight 5pm - 1am so I'll be attempting to ride it home, about 4km for the first time, traffic wont be a problem so thats good, and I've fitted head and tail lights to the unit as well, so fingers crossed.

Keep working on it and you'll be right.....ive only got 6 hrs of ridding experience on mine and every time im on it Im learning kore and more about it - enjoy.

Phil

Phil, 

Thanks for the encouragement!  I started out holding on to a series of poles a few feet apart, then realized i'd never learn that way.  so I went into the middle of the field and just slowly worked towards longer and longer rides.  it was actually quite a workout. I hadn't been to the gym in a few weeks so I was pretty tired after an hour.   tomorrow more time on the grass.  It is starting to feel more natural, and I am also getting a feel for the pressure with my feet.   I guess old dogs can learn new tricks!  Cheers,

Jim

Jim,

Yes, that was one ti g that struck me the first few days with it, was how much I was sweating....my Tshirt after a cpl hours was drenched, but Id hardly stayed on it more than a few seconds...

It was explained to me by another on this awesome site, that the sweating is occourring as a safety measure as the brain directs ALL MUSCLES to help out and try to make this strange one wheeled thing work...The secret however is completely the opposite. And once you can get onto it, accellerate and let it just roll, you will start to relax all those muscles that thought they needed to help. 

Im still a newbie, but Im not anywhere near as stressed on it as I was at the start, i think its just a matter of time on it, and understanding that less is more, get on it, a slight forward pressure with "soft knees" and away ya go, then if people are ahead of you, or you begin to feel uneasy, just let a slight shift in weight go to the heels and you'll slow to a crawl.....Ive found being able to adjust the speed by doing this is a great help to getting to know the wheel...

Keep us all informed on your progress Jim, you'll be fine

Riding on the grass was one of the best things I could have done when starting out.

It does get you accustomed to unexpected bumps and is far more forgiving when it comes to falling off. It also tends to encourage you to go slow and not push speed, which is a good thing.

LorenW.  Agree with you 100%.   I am glad I started out on the grass as well.  Not only did it help build my confidence (not getting pavement rash), but also made me more comfortable on the 9B1. 

So, after a few days of practice on the grass I migrated over to the pavement today.   Two immediate observations, the grass is definitely more forgiving. I don't mean in terms of crashing (which is true), but also in terms of body motion.  I immediately noticed that I had to relearn how the tire reacts to my body movements.  Lots less movement is needed to get things done.  So I had to learn to dial it down quite a bit.  which meant a LOT less arm flailing.  Also, the battery life is much longer on the pavement.  When I practiced in the field yesterday, I got about 5 miles before I was already down to 50%.  On the pavement this AM, I was out there for about 45 minutes, went about 3 miles and the battery showed 15 miles remaining. 

Today was mostly circles, and a few (crude) figure 8's.   Every day I am learning new things!

Cheers,

Jim

Archived