Hi

The price is being adjusted.

No personal sales at this time.

To be sold outside of Amazon in April.

Thank you. 

-----Original Message-----
To: <ironkorea100@naver.com>; 
Cc: 
Sent: 2020-01-13 (월) 21:48:20 (GMT+09:00)
Subject: Iron 100

When is it possible to purchase this new e-wheel ?

I also follow the conversations in the forums and YouTube.

Thank you.

James Kutchera

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2020 at 10:36 AM, houseofjob said:

원래 질문이: 안에 휠의 뇌로 역할해주는 머더보드가 (한국어로 잘 모르겠네요~) GT16이랑 IRON-100이 같은건가요? 아니다면, IRON KOREA에서 직접 머더보드를 만드나요? 보드 사진상으로 공개 할수있나요?

전혀 더 넓은 타이어 버전 만들생각이 없나요?

요즘 3인치 휠 트렌드 인해, 대다수의 EUC Forum 회원 맴버들이  3" 넓은 타이어를 더 선호합니다, 충격을 더 잘먹고, 해외에서 길 보도가 많이 안 좋아서, 넓은 타이어가 더 안전적이어서요 (한국이랑 다르게, 많은 해외 라이더들이, 특히 도시 라이더들이, 휠을 출퇴근용 이나, 휠 타고 배달일을 많이합니다, 한국에서 주로 레져용으로 타는것 보다...)

====

원조 GT16 사용자로서 질문을 추가 하고싶네요:

1. 락GT16의 발판을 고정시키고 모터에달린 axle이 많이 얇았었는데 (제 GT16 axle이 평소 안전한 라이딩 하다 이유없이 부러졌거든요), IRON-100의 axle이 횔신 두꺼워지고 더 단단해졌나요, Gotway 최근 24mm axle 처럼?
  2. 락GT16 분해하는게 엄청 복잡했는데, 이 IRON-100 분해 방식이 더 나아졌나요?

미리 감사드립니다! 아,... 그리고 펀딩이라면, 해외 고객들도 포함인가요?

Sorry for the late reply

1.The axle on the motor is changed to 24 mm.

2.The decomposition method is the same as before.

The funding part is going to be hard.
If you send me an email, I will reply with a good mail.

On 1/12/2020 at 3:20 AM, Young il KIM said:

* 3 inches impossible. See for details.

Unfortunately this seems to be a big issue for the hardcore enthusiasts most likely to gamble on purchasing this wheel.  It is possible though that this wheel once tested will be fine, but 2.8" - 3" tire seems to be more suitable to one wheels and heavy e-bikes.

On 2/14/2020 at 3:15 PM, FreeRide said:

Unfortunately this seems to be a big issue for the hardcore enthusiasts most likely to gamble on purchasing this wheel.  It is possible though that this wheel once tested will be fine, but 2.8" - 3" tire seems to be more suitable to one wheels and heavy e-bikes.

People who want the maximum torque will be happy with the thin tire. This is a 16in version of the Mten3 and MCM5, both with great torque. 

This brings larger diameter and battery, which is great. 

I may be one of the Iron Korea buyers...

Edited by Jean Dublin

11 hours ago, Jean Dublin said:

People who want the maximum torque will be happy with the thin tire. This is a 16in version of the Mten3 and MCM5, both with great torque. 

This brings larger diameter and battery, which is great. 

I may be one of the Iron Korea buyers...

I don't think torque has anything to do with how wide the tire is. It's the diameter, among other things. IMO.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't think torque has anything to do with how wide the tire is. It's the diameter, among other things. IMO.

I'm not an expert, but the wider the tire, the more mass to spin by the motor/battery amps. Maybe someone here will know.

Like pedalling a road bike, a MTB or a fatbike all with same diameter. 

Also they say 16x3in is more like 17in actually. 

However that's the argument Iron Korea gives for keeping it thin/normal.

Edited by Jean Dublin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jean Dublin said:

I'm not an expert, but the wider the tire, the more mass to spin by the motor/battery amps. Maybe someone here will know.

Like pedalling a road bike, a MTB or a fatbike all with same diameter. 

Everything I’ve ever read on this topic states manual pedal bikes use thinner tires due to less rolling resistance when physically pedaling.

But we are motorized, not manual, and don’t have to worry about such nuanced efficiency from manual/physical pedaling with our God-given legs (remember, pretty much all sub 18” EUC tires are borrowed from the bike/eBike world still).

I’m with @Chriull, the mass difference between the 2 tire widths is negligible for motor powered devices in terms of torque IMHO. More important factors that aren’t spoken of on the forums for me are rounded vs flatter wide width tires; overall tire tread aggressiveness pattern and material composition, etc.

In my opinion, it’s more about the tire getting in the way of realizing the hypothetical peak motor torque, more than it is a certain tire size “increasing torque”. And FWIW, I have yet to come across a 19” and below EUC tire that has a more aggressive tread down the midline, which should help for traction off-road without going full spaced-out knobby. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the input, I agree. It would be good to see what @Young il KIM says about that then. 

It may just be that they didn't want to make the case even wider (it's already wide enough on the GT16, to store a wider battery pack). That could be a good reason, as the shape of the EUC is square, it doesn't go any thinner at the top part. 

Edited by Jean Dublin
  • Like 2

On 2/20/2020 at 5:54 PM, houseofjob said:

the mass difference between the 2 tire widths is negligible for motor powered devices in terms of torque IMHO

It's not all about the mass, it's about the rolling friction, also. Bigger tyres tends to have less inner pressure, which is compensated by the friction of the tyre. Personally, I noticed quite significant mileage drop on the ks16s after installing 2.5" tyre. Also, it's generally known, that wider and/or bigger tyres are dramatically reducing the torque of motorized vehicels, aka automobiles.

Edited by WaveCut

2 hours ago, WaveCut said:

It's not all about the mass, it's about the rolling friction, also. Bigger tyres tends to have less inner pressure, which is compensated by the friction of the tyre. 

We were talking wider tires, not bigger diameter tires.

Personally, I noticed quite significant mileage drop on the ks16s after installing 2.5" tyre.

Unless you can source 2 same diameter but different tire widths with the same material consistency/makeup, and maybe general tread tyre pattern style, can't make such a gross generalization IMHO.

Also, it's generally known, that wider and/or bigger tyres are dramatically reducing torque of motorized vehicels, aka automobiles.

For such a generally known claim, I have yet to come across such proven evidence (again, only width change, not coupled with diameter change). 

Care to link some substantiated articles on the supposed fact that wider but same diameter tires reduce torque?

Edited by houseofjob

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2020 at 11:07 PM, Michael Tucker said:

For United States customers, this wheel may be a good deal as it is hopefully made in and ships from Korea and therefore bypasses the current 25% Chinese tariffs in place.

pretty sure they would still be utilizing rockwheel factories in China just with Korean entrepreneurs taking the lead. I think that doesnt bypass the tariffs? 

I like that Ironwheel is updating us on their wheel but there seems to be no release on when it's expected to launch?

I personally don't like the design but enjoy that it's pushing boundaries. The tire just seems too small for it to be aesthetically appealing. 

I remember a Rockwheel reseller trying to sell me on one however without enough riders tested it, I wasn't about to be the crash test dummy myself. 

On 3/5/2020 at 9:24 AM, Jack Frost said:

I like that Ironwheel is updating us on their wheel but there seems to be no release on when it's expected to launch?

There is no release date or nor was there any guarantee of any release at all. They were looking for financial backers to go into production.  Since there has been no updates, they may still be looking. 

When the width of the tire is increased, the outer diameter of the tire increases by roughly 75% of the added width. If they indeed aim for instant acceleration, a narrow tire does help in that regard.

But for how and where I ride, a 2.125” tire is an absolute no-no. I’ve installed a 2.5” tire to my 16S and just today to my friends V8. Much much nicer ride for me.

22 hours ago, buell47 said:

A 16x2.5 on a V8? :shock2:

Yes! Works nicely. The owner has only ever ridden the original 16x1.95, so the behaviour was of course very strange to him when he got the wheel yesterday. But I’m sure I’ll hear some positive comments in a week or so.

I’ll post photos in the mod section once I get the photos edited.

• Like 2