Best Name for EUCs

Mortal Coil

What is the best name to describe an EUC?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What would you chose as the best name to describe the contraptions that we ride? When someone wells 'what the hell is that?' when you zoom past, this is what you yell over your shoulder.

• Electric Unicycle
    • EUC
    • Segwheel
    • Hoverwheel
    • eWheel
    • Gyrowheel or Gyroroue
    • Monowheel

9 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Since Aneta is too shy, she asked me to answer you.

Dear tenofine, I have to disappoint you, I'm not a sexy girl, I'm just a fake, but I show you my true face, but only my face, the rest remains. ;):D
(No idea what's going on with @Rehab1and why I have to do his job? :cheers:

The-real-Aneta.jpg

:laughbounce2::roflmao:

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 1:15 PM, ZenRyder said:

If you want electric unicycles to increase in popularity, then we need to do it the old fashioned way. We need to share our experiences and talk to people about it. When someone yells out, "Hey, what is that?" We need to stop and tell them.

Totally agree with that. In 2 days of commuting on it, I've talked to numerous people about it at the train station, on the train and at work. I even rode it in the hallways at work.

One chap on the train immediately googled King Song and sent a link to a friend he thought would be interested :-)

I do plan to use the e-wheel (sorry, hoverwheel sounds silly to me) for local errands to generate more conversation. Going past the high school results in shrieks of "What the f*** is that?" from teenagers ;-)

• Like 2

"Going past the high school results in shrieks of "What the f*** is that?" from teenagers ;-)" - "Hoverwheel!" will instantly satiate their urge to know. Ewheel or e-unicycle won't have this effect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aneta said:

"Going past the high school results in shrieks of "What the f*** is that?" from teenagers ;-)" - "Hoverwheel!" will instantly satiate their urge to know. Ewheel or e-unicycle won't have this effect.

Well, in addition to not particularly liking 'hoverwheel', the word has a 'v' and 'w', and people of my ethnic origin - Indians - have a lot of trouble making those 2 sound distinct and correct.

e.g. Van often sounds like Wan. So, there is no way I'm likely to yell out 'howerveel' and have my kids friends make fun of my accent ;-)

• Like 1

English is not my native language, too, so I have the same problem with 'v' and 'w'. This makes "ewheel" sound like "evil" - vowel before 'w' makes it harder to pronounce it correctly. 'r' before 'w' in "hoverwheel" makes it easier to make a small pause and pronounce 'w' correctly. But "hover" is such a distinct word that even with imperfect pronunciation it'll be easily understood.

Initial resistance is normal. There has been such resistance, for example, for the word "drone":

https://makezine.com/2015/04/08/stop-using-word-drone/

Yet, drone is the most common name for it. All retailers call it drone.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=drone

Probably, same for "hoverboard", but a parent who would resist their kid calling it hoverboard or going to the store and insisting calling it something else, is a real dork. Same with hoverwheel, once it becomes a much better known product to masses.

InMotion USA (EUCO) is selling "InMotion hovershoes":

https://www.myinmotion.com/products/inmotion-hovershoes-x1

Hovershoes X1 (Hoverwheel brand)

InMotion's latest invention takes the concept of a hoverboard and splits it into two independent machines: one for each foot!

Hovershoes X1 are easier to learn and safer than hoverboards. And a lot more fun!

On Amazon these are also called "hoverskates" and "hoverwheels". See, "hover-anything" is making more and more strides and nobody is saying "but... it can't hover!" and soon it will be totally natural to call electric unicycles "hoverwheels". All of these are just variations of the same concept - self-balancing PEV.

Edited by Aneta
  • Like 1

Hoverboard market was estimated at $1.7B in 2017 and predicted to reach $2.14B in 2023. Hardly a failure and not going anywhere, as well as the word 'hoverboard' itself. Hoverwheels are next.

https://www.marketwatch.com/press-release/hoverboard-market-2019-global-industry-share-demand-top-players-industry-size-future-growth-by-2024-market-reports-world-2019-08-26

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Aneta said:

If what we ride is called "electric unicycle", should this be called "electric bicycle", since it has two wheels?

61CWAK42SoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

AFAIK this setup is usually called twin-, not bi-.

• Like 1

Here's another example of a widely accepted word starting with 'hover': hovercraft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hovercraft

Formel1_hovercraft.jpg

Nobody considers this word "dorky". And it doesn't hover, either. Why 'hoverwheel' is getting so much resistance, then? Embrace it! At least, try it as an experiment for a limited time, use it for bystanders, on the forum, when you think about your wheel - and see if it grows on you. It did on me!

• Like 1