Best Name for EUCs

Mortal Coil

What is the best name to describe an EUC?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What would you chose as the best name to describe the contraptions that we ride? When someone wells 'what the hell is that?' when you zoom past, this is what you yell over your shoulder.

• Electric Unicycle
    • EUC
    • Segwheel
    • Hoverwheel
    • eWheel
    • Gyrowheel or Gyroroue
    • Monowheel

5 hours ago, travsformation said:

Yeah, I love the people who don't give a sh*t what others think and are authentic enough to let their amazement show! Seeing a grown man shouting to his wife "Holy sh*it, look at that!!! Did you see it???!!!" is a great feeling!

I pine for that @travsformation  I think folks in my vicinity, upon seeing me, are for more likely to either say, or think loudly....  “what’s wrong with that half man-half bird wing flapping creature fighting gravity like his seemingly soon-to-be-over life depended on it riding half a bicycle with no pedals”?

• Like 1

I doubt anyone ever thinks of our wheels as half a bicycle. The wheel doesn't look like typical bicycle wheel with spokes. Justin's (Grin Tech) true electric unicycle - now, THAT's true half a bicycle.

BTW, I just saw that we have a Hoverboard section here: https://forum.electricunicycle.org/forum/41-hoverboard/

I always kept the "TWO-WHEELED SELF-BALANCING PEVS" section collapsed because I have no interest in them. So, the term "hoverboard" is already accepted here (how can it be not? it's accepted by the whole world!), I see no reason not to accept "hoverwheel", too!

Well... it’s probably the same number of people that would think of me as a half bird. I’m guessing.... less than one. Note - no advocacy here for calling our toys “half bicycles”. I’d be more inclined to call it something stupid... like, um.... nevermind:)

• Like 1

eWheel just sounds very dated, like from late 1990s - early 2000s, when it was trendy to call things eThings - ePen, ePaper, eNote, etc. It faded by the arrival of iPhone, then prefixing everything with "i" became a thing. "ewheels" is an ok collective term for all PEVs - hoverwheels, hoverboards, hovershoes, e-scooters, e-bikes, e-motorcycles, onewheels, etc. ewheels.com sells e-scooters, too - they are e-wheels, too.

e-wheel is just not cool and catchy at all, and doesn't explain the principle of motion as hoverwheel does bringing the analogy with hoverboards.

I agree that the term "electric unicycle" does not fly for the word-of-mouth idea transfer in quick conversations. Can you imagine this conversation between parents, hubby calling wife, "Hey, honey, our son told me that he's bored with his hoverboard, it's two years old now, the battery is dying; he wants Santa to give him an electric unicycle for Christmas." - "Electric wha? Unicycle?! Is that the thing acrobats in circus ride? He'll get hurt! He wants to be a clown and do stupid tricks?!" There won't be any misunderstanding with the word "hoverwheel", especially if it becomes a widely marketable product.

And soon enough, asking the AI assistant, "Ok, Google/Siri/Alexa/Cortana, what is a hoverwheel?" for those who lived in a cave, will bring a sharp answer. "It's a self-balancing electric scooter, similar to hoverboard, but with one wheel, with stationary foot platforms/pedals on the sides on which you stand."

Googling for "ewheel" (https://www.google.com/search?q=ewheel) brings ewheels.com as the 1st result. Ok. What's the 2nd?

https://www.ewheelsdealers.com/

Recreational scooters!

2b0fad_6d4e505e64d54198bd9f1c8be9f4bc3e~

Yeah, go, old ladies, go! You've got some ewheels there!

Search Amazon for ewheel: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ewheel

71RoXtM4fLL._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

Same crap.

The term "ewheel" is dead at inception...

Edited by Aneta

eWheels is actually a brand name:

https://www.walmart.com/c/brand/ewheels

Searching USPTO for ewheel or ewheels

https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-application-process/search-trademark-database

gives results with definitions like:

[LIVE]

- Electric carts; Motorized golf bag carts; Motorized and computerized golf carts

- Mobility scooters, electric scooters, electric bikes, electric transport vehicles

- Energy recovery ventilators

[DEAD/ABANDONED]

- Self Balancing Electric Bikes and Scooters

-  Retail store services featuring electric transports, electric bikes, scooters, mopeds, misc electric transportation products

- FURNITURE FOR PROVIDING DESKTOP MOBILITY FOR DESKTOP ELECTRONIC DEVICES

- On-line retail store services featuring automotive care products and apparel

Boom! "ewheel" is dead, just like that!

giphy.gif

Edited by Aneta

I see your point.  Hoverwheel is not a bad name as it does help convey the self-balancing idea quickly as most are familiar with other hover products (i.e., hoverboards, hoverskates, etc.).  The only real issue I have with it is that it may also carry the connotation of being a toy instead of transportation.  I may be nitpicking though.  It is still much better than the EUC term.

I'm new to the this world, so I still empathize with the point of view of someone unfamiliar with the device.  As trivial as terms seem, I think it's a serious issue to understanding and adoption.

If you think this does not happen, think about the unfortunate mathematical term "imaginary numbers".  This name has prevented many from understanding the concept of a number plane instead of a number line since many people look at the term and think it's impossible to understand anything imaginary.  Point is, I'm afraid the same is happening with the EUC term.  I personally would not ride a normal unicycle because of the low benefit to difficulty/learning curve and I think that it is fair to put the majority of people in the same box (otherwise there would probably be more unicycles riding around).  If I heard the term unicycle without fully grasping what it was, I'd dismiss it completely.

It is worth noting that if EUCs gain traction some other way, then this conversation is irrelevant as the EUC term will then be widely accepted as a standard idea just as it is to people on this forum.  In essence, this is really a conversation on how to share the idea of these devices more efficiently so the knowledge can spread with as little resistance as possible.

• Like 1

I agree that the word "hoverwheel" does carry some connotation of being a toy instead of transportation. But the past 3-4 years show that our wheels are not getting any wide adoption. We're living in the age of hyperinterest to anything new and cool, it gets proliferated across the globe in mere hours and days, shared via social media, news, etc. We don't get that. Why? Maybe, exactly because of the word "unicycle", that makes it appear more difficult to ride than it actually is? But if it starts to be widely available as a toy for kids first, and adults see that's is not a big deal to ride this and it is actually useful as both for fun and for transportation, then it will get wide adoption. So, it needs to "Trojan" as a kid toy first, then it will win the hearts of adults as well. The word "hoverwheel" is perfect for this. Maybe, with time it will evolve to some other name that we don't know yet (like xerox, velcro, google), but it's definitely not one of "electric unicycle", "EUC", or "ewheel".

Edited by Aneta

45 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

There's no such thing as a 'hoverwheel', let this nonsense die already. ("Stop trying to make fetch happen.")

(I really can't tell if this person is just a troll or if they're delusional, but along with reports that it's an alt account for someone previously shunned from the forums, together with a lack of a proper block feature here, it's increasingly becoming an annoyance.)

Agreeeeeed. I cringe every single time I read it.

• Like 2

I cringe every single time I read "electric unicycle". Once you "see it" (how nonsensical "electrical unicycle" term is), you cannot "unsee it". Hoverwheel just flies off your lips, it's so natural and sounds like a commercial name that became commonplace, even if initially it sounded weird (xerox, velcro, to google, etc.) Hoverwheel FTW!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Aneta said:

I cringe every single time I read "electric unicycle". Once you "see it" (how nonsensical "electrical unicycle" term is), you cannot "unsee it". Hoverwheel just flies off your lips, it's so natural and sounds like a commercial name that became commonplace, even if initially it sounded weird (xerox, velcro, to google, etc.) Hoverwheel FTW!

You're never going to change the name. The only thing you do by calling it a hoverwheel is make it more confusing to people when they are interested and want to learn more. The only reason searching for a hoverwheel will even get you here is because you have spammed the word so much since you dropped "segwheel" (which was equally as annoying). Just stop.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Aneta said:

how nonsensical "electrical unicycle" term is

Not quite as nonsensical as 'hoverwheel', given that an euc doesn't hover anywhere. Not unless you have further expanded your amazing algebraic skills with a formula that can make one levitate.

• Like 3

Interesting that the topic of this thread/poll is "When someone yells 'what the hell is that?' when you zoom past, this is what you yell over your shoulder" and yet majority chose the term that when actually yelled over the shoulder in real life situation when you literally have less than a second passing bystanders at speed, they will only hear "electric". "What did he say? Electric? Electric WHAT?" It needs to be ONE word, folks. Even if they hear "unicycle", it will confuse them even more. "Where's the unicycle? This is NOT a unicycle! I know what unicycle is, and this is not it."

Out of 42 who voted, 41 will need to give up on their habit of calling unicycle what is not a unicycle. I will leave it a possibility that it will not be called a hoverwheel, either, but when a widely available product launches targeting kids toys segment, you can be sure it will not be called an electric unicycle.

Edited by Aneta

12 minutes ago, FrankFilmer said:

Mods... please help the community out  by giving us a proper ignore feature.

That's something to be asked from Invision - they provide the forum software and their features.

But the best ignore function sits between the ears and can be activated by the right state of mind :ph34r:. Like in real life - if one can or want not to escape or go nuts one can switch to ignore mode...

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

That's something to be asked from Invision - they provide the forum software and their features.

But the best ignore function sits between the ears and can be activated by the right state of mind :ph34r:. Like in real life - if one can or want not to escape or go nuts one can switch to ignore mode...

Kind of difficult to do when he manages to insert himself into every other thread but I understand what you're saying.

Let the Chris "me me me" Lee show roll on. 

If you can't beat em... join 'em.

Time to go take my segwheel for a ride out in the snow. ✔😬

Edited by FrankFilmer
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, FrankFilmer said:

Kind of difficult to do when he manages to insert himself into every other thread but I understand what you're saying.

Let the chris lee "me me me" show roll on. 

If you can't beat em... join 'em.

Time to go take my segwheel for a ride out in the snow. ✔😬

Right, and i like to ride my ELECTRIC UNICYCLE on hills without measuring the exact slope and torque that’s needed to challenge that quest, and still have fun. ;)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aneta said:

If what we ride is called "electric unicycle", should this be called "electric bicycle", since it has two wheels?

Oh god no! This way in some jurisdictions it will be illegal to ride one because it lacks a handle and brakes. ;)

57 minutes ago, buell47 said:

If what we see every few minutes is called "Aneta", should this be called "Chrisjunlee", since he has no b() ()bs and no blonde hair?

I don't care if Aneta is male, female, otherkin or an attack helicopter. What matters is the strength of people's arguments.

But you definitely get a like from me. B) It's possible it's chrisjunlee based on when the account was created.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 3

Woah this Aneta dude is making some good point, you go girl!

I can't vote since my personal choice isn't included so I will make some more suggestions - 

Wheeel   (not to be confused with "wheel")
URO        (Unidentified Rolling Object)
Yook       (obvious)
P.E.W.T!  (Personal Electric Wheel Transport)
Bysickle (not sure about this one)