Bad Intermittent Vibration on KingSong 16X

Mambo5

Hi guys,

First of all just want to say a big HI to everybody and Happy New Year! I am new to the site and I was kind of foolish not to sign up to this forum when I purchased my first electric unicycle back in the summer which was a Ninebot Z6, but I have had no issues with that wheel and it has taken some tumbles.  The problem is with my King Song 16X which I have only had since the start of November (bought from E Rides here in the UK)  It has only recently been suffering from a weird vibration problem which comes and goes, it is most noticeable if I run the wheel back and forth or when I climb onto it to ride it, when I get some speed up say 12 mph the vibration goes away but if I slow down or climb a hill the vibration will kick in again.  I haven't hit top speeds yet and only two weeks ago figured out that I don't need to exceed 200km before unlocking the top speed, I managed to unlock it with darkness bot.  But I am a bit irritated that this wheel which cost way more than my Z6 has already developed a problem.  I don't think it is a firmware issue but I thought I would run it past you guys to see if you know what the problem might be.  I have already messaged e rides and prepared to send it back for repair if it needs it, it's very odd

Mambo5

There’s ”vibration” and then there’s Vibration. Without for example a video we can’t tell if it is something to worry about or not. For example, my MSX has a steady slight vibration (like a mobile phone on continuous vibration attached to the pedals) whenever the motor is at work under about 30km/h, but it is small enough that most MSX users have said not noticing it at all.

If the vibration is an actual aggressive shake that rattles the handle when trolleyed around, then it’s an issue. The most common being a control board that isn’t screwed in tight and has even the slightest amount of play. Loose shell pedal hanger bolts are another issue that can cause violent shakes.

A tire rubbing against the shell can also cause vibration, and could be a result of more serious issue. Or not.

Could you shoot the vibrations on a video?

• Like 3

Hey mrelwood,

I just shot some video of the vibration, I was walking with it with a friend earlier this morning over normal bumps in the road and it was vibrating then as well, I just shot some video of the vibration which is pretty bad, had to persuade it to do it but it is definitely not normal.  I will upload asap

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mambo5 said:

Here is a link to the video: I hope I'm not breaking any ruk

"ruk"? If you meant "rules", don't be afraid. The rules are only meant to keep bad actors away, not honest posters like you. Even if you were to break one, which you didn't, that would be unimportant. You don't need to apologize for not coming to this forum earlier or anything:)

About your 16X:

That kind of rattling is typical for a slightly loose board. The board (which has the tilt sensor on it) can move slightly, which gives an input to the wheel, and the result is the rattling/bucking.

You can wait what erides say, or you can open up the wheel to get to the board (not sure if you have to remove the side panels or you can just remove the top piece where the board is) and check the screws holding the board and heatsink onto the plastic shell. Also check if you see any cracks or other things that might allow the board to move. Also check if you can see any play in the axle area, loose big screws holding the shell on the pedal hangers, or cracks that may allow the shell (with the board on it) to move slightly against the pedal hangers (with you, the input, on them). I guess removing the side panels must to be done anyways;)

Maybe it's also something else (or something 16X-specific I wouldn't know about), but we had plenty of similar symptoms that were loose boards.

I wouldn't ride the wheel until it has been fixed. Frustrating, but better safe than sorry.

Since your wheel is brand new and you are still in the EU (which means 2 year warranty), also don't be bothered to attempt a fix if you don't feel comfortable doing that. Let erides do their job. That includes finding out what causes your problem (loose board? bad board? something Kingsong-specific?) and fixing it for you.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

^^^ What Meep said. That vibration is absolutely not normal, and losing control of the wheel at speed is a proper worry.

I have an attitude to always prefer fixing things myself even if it would void the warranty. But that is of course not the best solution to most people. This is at the verge, since tightening the board screws and shell bolts might or might not be a smaller bother than to ship the wheel back. And it might or might not fix the issue.

Thanks for your advice guys,

I spoke with Afeez at e-rides who spoke with King Song who suggested updating the firmware from 1.05 (which is what I wanted to keep) to 1.07.  I updated it which smoothed things out somewhat but I could still feel the vibration and the sensation of something loose inside the wheel housing.

I spoke to Afeez at e-rides who has recommended it be sent to a guy called Roberto Guerra based in London who runs a repair workshop for electric unicycles. UPS have collected the whhel and it should be with Roberto tomorrow.

I am also of the mindset to try and fix issues myself but as you said this wheel does have a two year warranty and I want to preserve it so I was not happy opening up the wheel myself only owning it since October and spent rather a lot of money on it. Hopefully it's an easy fix and I should get it back soon dingers crossed

Thanks again for the advice guys, I will keep you posted

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

Just wanted to let you all know that my wheel is back and the vibration is gone, I need to take it for a long ride to give it a proper test but I think it has been sorted.  The problem was the screws holding the inner case to the pedal pillar were loose and caused vibrations when leaning to the right, these have now been loctited and tightened.

I believe you. My screws were already slightly loose after 45km from new. Luckily I had disassembled my wheel several times before and used other screws and Loctite medium strength. The original cheap Phillips screws can't be tightened very well anyway and are quickly worn out. 

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

After installing a replacement motor and upgrading firmware today (which didn't alter behavior), still working on diagnosis but have tentatively ruled out loose control board, loose pedal hanger screws or bolts, tire rubbing:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZYr7WKBkzk9aELWdO_T3UbbFCoq6xwRh/view?usp=drive_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/155az0yvZdXtbzIdYho9qfoXtrK-qWFTO/view?usp=drive_link

The problem seen in these videos was in fact loose pedal hangers.

Edited by TonesNotes