EUCGuy Monster PowerPads + Mudguard REVIEW

Ben Kim

Hi, I figured after some time with the EUCGuy powerpads, it would be fair to write a review for these and the new Mudguard.  Both the powerpads and Mudguard are the newest revisions not ready for immediate sale (will be available very soon!). Installed on a Monster V3.

PowerPads PROS

+ Aesthetically pleasing.  They look like they belong on the wheel and do a great job allowing me greater leverage to torque the wheel and as a secondary safety net from an overlean faceplant.

+ Significantly more comfortable than the stock Monster pads.  I lost a patch of leg hair with the stock Monster pads and they offer zero support, making riding with the seat mandatory for comfort.  These pads are a soft foam with offers greater support and will greatly improve comfort and leverage.  They work as advertised.

PowerPads CONS

- One drop of your wheel on its side will mean the premature demise of your new pads.  The area between the shell and the curvature of the pads needs to be filled in with solid plastic (or foam) to account for this, as it is unrealistic to expect the end user to never drop their wheel.  I had to JB weld both pads to repair from accidental drops at low speed.  

- The design of the pads need to account for the injection point of the inner shell where it is mounted.  The preinstalled 3M adhesive would not stick on its own due to the elevated injection point, and I had to use my own VHB adhesive to secure the pads to my wheel. 

Mudguard SUMMARY:

I have seen the original design on a friend's V2 Monster, and I always felt it was not securely attached or overly useful.  After a rain ride seated and getting muddy pants, I felt it was time to install a solution on my wheel.  The newest revision of this mudguard is connected ROCK solid, and it took a lot of effort to snap it in place, unlike the older version.  Given how tight it is installed, I believe it will be a permanent fixture on my wheel and I do like the look.  It appears he has also widened the mudguard itself from the original design a smidge.

I think EUCGuy makes great products for a reasonable price, and given he is always improving his product, believe he will take this feedback and further improve his products as time passes.  

IMG_9699.jpg

• Like 3

I have them on my Monster 100v, and do love them.  I installed them in the insert as designed, then being disappointed with the placement I actually moved them back about 1 1/2" which was a huge hassle. I wanted to engage on the lip on less lean... it made a huge difference in handling.  

I also installed the Nikola pedals on the Monster which gives you a bit more leverage too.  Its now a new machine with those two upgrades.  I'm ultra careful not to have the wheel fall over..

• Like 1

Just now, Mrd777 said:

I have them on my Monster 100v, and do love them.  I installed them in the insert as designed, then being disappointed with the placement I actually moved them back about 1 1/2" which was a huge hassle. I wanted to engage on the lip on less lean... it made a huge difference in handling.  

I also installed the Nikola pedals on the Monster which gives you a bit more leverage too.  Its now a new machine with those two upgrades.  I'm ultra careful not to have the wheel fall over..

i simply stand further up on the pedals which you should be doing anyway. i’m about 5’9 180 lbs, not what you’d consider a large man by any standard, but find the default position to be perfect. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Hi, I figured after some time with the EUCGuy powerpads, it would be fair to write a review for these and the new Mudguard.  Both the powerpads and Mudguard are the newest revisions not ready for immediate sale (will be available very soon!). Installed on a Monster V3.

PowerPads PROS

+ Aesthetically pleasing.  They look like they belong on the wheel and do a great job allowing me greater leverage to torque the wheel and as a secondary safety net from an overlean faceplant.

+ Significantly more comfortable than the stock Monster pads.  I lost a patch of leg hair with the stock Monster pads and they offer zero support, making riding with the seat mandatory for comfort.  These pads are a soft foam with offers greater support and will greatly improve comfort and leverage.  They work as advertised.

PowerPads CONS

- One drop of your wheel on its side will mean the premature demise of your new pads.  The area between the shell and the curvature of the pads needs to be filled in with solid plastic (or foam) to account for this, as it is unrealistic to expect the end user to never drop their wheel.  I had to JB weld both pads to repair from accidental drops at low speed.  

- The design of the pads need to account for the injection point of the inner shell where it is mounted.  The preinstalled 3M adhesive would not stick on its own due to the elevated injection point, and I had to use my own VHB adhesive to secure the pads to my wheel. 

Mudguard SUMMARY:

I have seen the original design on a friend's V2 Monster, and I always felt it was not securely attached or overly useful.  After a rain ride seated and getting muddy pants, I felt it was time to install a solution on my wheel.  The newest revision of this mudguard is connected ROCK solid, and it took a lot of effort to snap it in place, unlike the older version.  Given how tight it is installed, I believe it will be a permanent fixture on my wheel and I do like the look.  It appears he has also widened the mudguard itself from the original design a smidge.

I think EUCGuy makes great products for a reasonable price, and given he is always improving his product, believe he will take this feedback and further improve his products as time passes.  

IMG_9699.jpg

Hi Ben, do you know when the Powerpad s will be available?EUCGuy  website always said out of stock, and I tried to contact him for the last few weeks and with no response.

Thanks

Peter Q