SLALOM HELMET WITH A CHINGUARD FOR EUC RIDING. WILL IT WORK?

Ā 

Merry Christmas, everybody!šŸŒ²šŸŽ„

I have a question, and would really appreciateĀ Ā an educated guessĀ šŸ˜Ā from any of you fellow-ridersĀ Ā about this helmet (see the pic. below).Ā Ā Its intended use is for skiing, but it has a chinguard (albeit an unusual one). I was wondering, if it could work, protecting the face from an asphalt rash? After 3 months of riding an euc, Iā€™ve just had my first experience of Ā«kissing the EarthĀ». It became a very informative experience, after I analyzed every step leading to the ā€œdiveā€!Ā 

And now, among other things,Ā Ā I know from experience that my protection is adequate. Except, I need a helmet that protects the face too.Ā 

Does anyone think, thisĀ one on the picture could work? I know, thereā€™re really good helmets, that fully or almost fully hide the face. But I just canā€™t adapt to wearing those. Any thoughts about this unusual one ā€” would beĀ Ā welcome!šŸ––

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wdjEvipbA6xXwYdNXZZJHASO2jzBqSMd/view?usp=drivesdk

https://www.head.com/shop/en-EE/team-sl-9.html

Ā 

Ā 

One thing about skiing helmets is that there is not much need for good airflow in the winter, so they may be unbearably hot in the summer.

I would look at downhill bicycle helmets first. OrĀ the Cratoni C-Maniac Iā€™ve been using for a fee years, which is almost a regular bicycle helmet with a removable chin guard. Iā€™d guess it to beĀ the lightest helmet with a chin guard. (400-500g).

• Like 2

@ChriullĀ makes some good comments about speed!

Aside from that though, I am intrigued by this... It appears to haveĀ good protection for the lower rear skull (like my current helmet) but is very open on the front... I may have to get one of these to play with!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RockyTop said:

It might not be sufficient. Yet, It has to be better than the styrofoam toupee they call a bicycleĀ helmet.Ā 

Exactly... I have just ordered one!
Ā 

13 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Better than no chin protection, but I'm not sure how much it would help. It may help to prevent the first hit, but then it probably breaks and your face may still be sliding on the ground. I wouldn't trust it at above 30kph.

And... Order cancelled!!!

Looks like decent protection for the head, but insufficient for the face. As meep already pointed out, I reckon it might be able to handle the initial impact, but not what comes afterwards. Skiing, the impact is the main concern; on asphalt, the road rash is just as much of a concern, and I don't think this would have you covered in that sense...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I like the look of this type better, but someone has the POC version and mentioned the chin protection seemed weak and would probably splinter.

Maybe if the material is strong enough but IDK..

Edited by null
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tank you for giving a thought to my question! Thanks to your input I didnā€™t dare buy such an unknown beast as a skiing helmet.Ā 

Waited a little, thought more than a little, and went with a Troy Lee Designs Stage Helmet. In size XXL! It arrived today. Design-wise it looks awesome. The rest,Ā Ā we shall see.Ā šŸ˜

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sansedo said:

Tank you for giving a thought to my question! Thanks to your input I didnā€™t dare buy such an unknown beast as a skiing helmet.Ā 

Waited a little, thought more than a little, and went with a Troy Lee Designs Stage Helmet. In size XXL! It arrived today. Design-wise it looks awesome. The rest,Ā Ā we shall see.Ā šŸ˜

I have ordered one in ML size. After reading a lot, is one of the best options!!!

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I'm looking for a new helmet too.

I saw hsiang videos and he rides with a slalom style helmet and pretty much consider it too, but at what speed you ride at makes a lot of different.Ā 

I guess if you are riding less then 30km/h, it might be sufficient but the way the hsiang rides (fast!) i dunno if it works for him.....

Ā 

Edited by onizukagto

to be fair, isn't a full face chin guard plastic as well?Ā 

then again it does look flimsy, guess i can't really avoid full face. just wish they were flexible like the slalom chin guard and be able to swing up or down when you stopped but you don't want to take off the helmet.Ā 

guess convertible full face is the other option, but I heard the ventilation isn't that good.Ā