Samsung Galaxy Watch 46mm (Tizen) on Flexmeter Wrist Guards and useful apps

I also bought a Galaxy watch in anticipation of the new EUC app. 

I have not used a watch in 20 years. I had the Casio calculator with 250 stored phone numbers back in the day.

I tried the Garmin 235 last year. I thought it was pretty cool except that I hated it. The display was way too dim and the buttons were to easy to press. I had to reset the watch at least once a week because the too easy to push buttons kept getting pressed, messing the watch settings beyond recovery. 

So I had reservations buying the Samsung Galaxy watch. I got one anyway and I am loving it. I have had it two weeks. The screen is bright and super high definition. The watch phone works better than the iPhone speaker phone. ( people can hear me better. I can’t quite hear them as well.) It even works well with my iPhone. ( although you can read text you can’t respond to text with an iPhone.) I am loving this thing. The screen is good enough that I have found myself playing Tetris for an hour. 

I don’t think I could live without it now. I like not having to take my phone out of my pocket most of the time. It even warns me that I am leaving my phone behind. 

• Like 1

Yeah.. that is what i was thinking this morning, all "decent" wheel owners that want to check and control their wheel without checking their respective phones will get a tizen watch that supports the watchface.

I'm one of them and yes, Samsung should own many sales to @Seba ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, but this is not the WheelLog (by Seba) version that probably 99% use here. The app has much less features and the display on the app is very poor. Only speed, distance and battery in percent are displayed. The horn can't be used either.

Maybe this is enough for many, but for me it is almost useless. Thanks for the hint anyway. :)

Screen-20200105-183124.png

• Like 1

I know so little about all of this, but you guys REALLY have me thinking its time to step into the next era. I prefer not to carry phones, but these watches seem neat. I enjoy how my ipad tracks wheel data, but i damn sure aint toting it in my pocket, so I only get the info before i leave and after I return. Out here in nowhere land where cell signal is sketchy, would i still be able to use ANY of these watches for the app? I am really intrigued by what SEBA has been working on, and wonder if theres any suggestion for the easiest and most affordable way to use this euc resource, for the person who oesnt intend to use it for much else? I fear what answers i find if its just me and google doing window shopping. I like spending money, and HATE it when i buy stupid crap because of my own ignorance. Fwiw, gps data never works on my ipad out here, and even my home wifi is about 2,000miles off from where I really am. Do most of these watches listen in on you, or have cameras? I'd prefer neither of those... well, its more than just a preferance.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Well, Samsung watches use Tizen OS, which Samsung also uses in their "always listening" refrigerators. Just an FYI. There are much fewer apps for Tizen watches, and it's a PITA for developers, since it requires a total rewrite of the app from the ground up (if we're talking about making a companion watch app for an Android app). The code for an Android app, on the contrary, can be reused in a Wear OS app - like 99%, if code is properly structured. (basically, just some #ifdef #else directives to include/exclude code for the compiler) Basically, Wear OS = baby Android, for small round/square screens. I would suggest for anyone to abandon Samsung, to make yours and especially developer's life easier. Apple Watch is similarly bad to develop for.

P.S. But Samsung and Apple watches have the best - most readable in the sun - screens in the world. If anyone knows a Wear OS watch with equally bright screen, please post.

Edited by Aneta
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Aneta said:

P.S. But Samsung and Apple watches have the best - most readable in the sun - screens in the world.

The funny thing is, owning both a Samsung Gear S2 and a Pebble, I would argue that the older Pebble is actually more readable in direct sunlight.

Its one of the reasons that I still use it with Wheel Log to this day. Plus the battery life is far superior.

• Like 1

I meant best OLED screens, of course. There are Wear OS watches with transflective screens (I own one of them, Moto 360 Sport, long discontinued), which are fantastic in sunlight. But being LED, they're not backlit all the time, so in the darkness you need to turn on the backlight momentarily or shine a flashlight - same as with Pebble. If OLED screen can be read in sunlight, then it's the best of both worlds.

6 hours ago, Aneta said:

I meant best OLED screens, of course. There are Wear OS watches with transflective screens (I own one of them, Moto 360 Sport, long discontinued), which are fantastic in sunlight. But being LED, they're not backlit all the time, so in the darkness you need to turn on the backlight momentarily or shine a flashlight - same as with Pebble. If OLED screen can be read in sunlight, then it's the best of both worlds.

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

I have never had to push a button to read my Pebble display at night, nor use a torch. Maybe the backlight is set to come on automatically with a wrist movement like my Gear S2. Dunno. 

I was ready to reply at @Aneta that you can set it to auto light up when you do a sudden movement. When it's pitch black it also helps me find me way thru the house or garage ;)

• 2 months later...
On 1/5/2020 at 9:44 AM, buell47 said:

Yes, but this is not the WheelLog (by Seba) version that probably 99% use here. The app has much less features and the display on the app is very poor. Only speed, distance and battery in percent are displayed. The horn can't be used either.

Maybe this is enough for many, but for me it is almost useless. Thanks for the hint anyway. :)

Screen-20200105-183124.png

Interesting! The watch screenshot you share here is the same one I ended up installing and also noticed it appeared different vs. what I saw in the other posts on here. Does anyone know how to get the "other" smartwatch app for Samsung that Seba shares images and talks about? One qualm I have with this above app is that you cannot change the speed, as an example. to MPH vs KPH. But apparently this is another app w/ the same name offered in Google PlayStore?

13 minutes ago, BigLexLost said:

.... Does anyone know how to get the "other" smartwatch app for Samsung

One has to wait until it's finished - you already found the corresponding topic.

13 minutes ago, BigLexLost said:

that Seba shares images and talks about? ...

The shared images are most presumably from ?android gear? watches like the ticwatch - support and app support for this watches is finished and available.

• Like 1

I have not seen any screens yet of the Tizen version. 

But @Seba talked a little bit of development today. Very little still but enough for me to say this is being worked on. And I have no doubt that it will look better and perform better (in regards to info shown). 

But but I have yet to see the first beta test version. We are not that far yet though getting closer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Seba said:

Samsung app will look identical to Wear OS app and will offer the same features. It was delayed due to King Song and Gotway support, now I'm also facing some limitations caused by coronavirus outbreak turning my life upside down. Anyway, now I'm focused only on Tizen app and hope to have beta version at the end of month. Tizen Studio as development environment also doesn't help... :crying:

Can you please get the weather synced too so it is EUC friendly and not this cold stormy and rainy for us beta testers.😋😁

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

@WebDev

I am 100% satisfied and everything I need is going perfectly. Spotify, music control, Komoot navigation, EUC World is constantly in use. Display on full brightness and no energy saving measures and the battery lasts the whole day. Very good display even in the sun. I never ride without since.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buell47 said:

@WebDev

I am 100% satisfied and everything I need is going perfectly. Spotify, music control, Komoot navigation, EUC World is constantly in use. Display on full brightness and no energy saving measures and the battery lasts the whole day. Very good display even in the sun. I never ride without since.  

That sounds great.  I can't seem to find that quick-disconnect strap you're using.  Would you happen to know where I could buy one like yours?

On Aliexpress, but my seller is offline, but there was tons of seller which offered the same strap. I ordered 3 for less than 5€

Update: https://a.aliexpress.com/_BUSVog

For my solution I used 2 straps, because the end of the strap is different. 

Edited by buell47
  • Like 1