Protective Fiberglass Shell For The MSX & Monster

Marty Backe

37 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

They cost ~$300

Great design but wow $300! Times sure have changed over the past few years when members thought my $150 custom silicone covers were expensive. 

I’ve fabricated prosthetics and know that a fiberglass lay up over a mold is time consuming. Additionally there is grinding and smoothing to finish the product. IMHO $300 is a fair price. 

Just an observation but it does appear that the dummy shell was filled with 2 part expandable foam which would help absorb some the hammer impacts. 

49249377376_4115876fb5_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Great design but wow $300! Times sure have changed over the past few years when members thought my $150 custom silicone covers were expensive. 

I’ve fabricated prosthetics and know that a fiberglass lay up over a mold is time consuming. Additionally there is grinding and smoothing to finish the product. IMHO $300 is a fair price. 

I can't imagine the amount of labor going into these. And they look like they came off a production line - nothing "homemade" about it.

Also, this is less about protecting the shell from scratches (silicon) and more about keeping the shell in one piece after hard crashes - you know how those Russians ride their wheels :laughbounce2:

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Also, this is less about protecting the shell from scratches (silicon) and more about keeping the shell in one piece after hard crashes - you know how those Russians ride their wheels :laughbounce2:

Totally agree. Looking at thickness of the fiberglass shell states volumes. I believe there is a market for an indestructible, Putin endorsed outer shell. :P

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

While NYTarzan (Daniel Eremin) was visiting from New York I got to see one of the Russian protective shells in person

IMG_2074

These are made from fiberglass and they fit over the Gotway shell perfectly. They exude quality.

IMG_2383

IMG_2375

And here @Coastal Rider is trying one on his MSX

IMG_2366-HDR

IMG_2372-HDR

If you're interested in getting one, best to contact "nytarzan" via the Telegram app or "Daniel Eremin" via Facebook. They cost ~$300

That's pretty neat!

There is also images/video available for the monster, just follow this link to the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/gotwayproject/

Here is a short video clip: https://tinyurl.com/rbbo79t

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

Excellent question, from my ownership of these wheels, life cycles are short.  A wheel that was the top is almost obsolete within a year.  Already many of us from Marty's tour is looking for upgrades, some of us more than one wheel.  The point is that the FUN we are able to extract from these wheels can be priceless for some of us.  Maybe at some point money is better utilized towards new wheel. :whistling:

PS.  Would never considered GW Monster before the tour. It's on very short list now lol. 

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

Excellent question, from my ownership of these wheels, life cycles are short.  A wheel that was the top is almost obsolete within a year.  Already many of us from Marty's tour is looking for upgrades, some of us more than one wheel.  The point is that the FUN we are able to extract from these wheels can be priceless for some of us.  Maybe at some point money is better utilized towards new wheel. :whistling:

PS.  Would never considered GW Monster before the tour. It's on very short list now lol. 

I only disagree with this statement. My 3-year Monster and ACM are still fantastic wheels with a lot of life left. I think I'd pick a different adjective than obsolete :)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

While NYTarzan (Daniel Eremin) was visiting from New York I got to see one of the Russian protective shells in person

IMG_2074

These are made from fiberglass and they fit over the Gotway shell perfectly. They exude quality.

IMG_2383

IMG_2375

And here @Coastal Rider is trying one on his MSX

IMG_2366-HDR

IMG_2372-HDR

If you're interested in getting one, best to contact "nytarzan" via the Telegram app or "Daniel Eremin" via Facebook. They cost ~$300

Amazing! But... this doesn't add strength to the most important and the weakest point on a EUC - attachment of plastic shell to metal pedal hangers, which often cracks. At this price point, they should make the whole fiberglass shell, so you transfer the guts and keep the original shell as a backup. Then these shells will be flying like hot cakes across the pond - cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching...

Edited by Aneta
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Aneta said:

Amazing! But... this doesn't add strength to the most important and the weakest point on a EUC - attachment of plastic shell to metal pedal hangers, which often cracks. At this price point, they should make the whole fiberglass shell, so you transfer the guts and keep the original shell as a backup. Then these shells will be flying like hot cakes across the pond - cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching...

Then they would probably cost $1000 :o

The FIRE TEST of the shell covers!!!

10 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

There is a material called ABS that my company has used for fabrication proposes that is more impact resist than fiberglass at 1/2 the weight. 

But ABS some kind of plastic. The problem is you need a mould or a huge 3d printer :lol: 

The advantage of fibreglass is that it's a lot easier for someone to build something with it (it's used a lot to make and repair race bike fairings). Once you want to churn out 1000 copies, now that's a different story.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 4:56 PM, Hsiang said:

Problem with this shell is that Dagzhi did such a good job with a glossy white finish on it that I may need to get a protective shell for my protective shell... =D

I order one for my monster but I am 3rd in line so it'll probably take some time to get here. but I'll certainly take lots of photos and do a video review once I have it!

You need an EUC Bodyguard for the Gotway Monster...

• 5 months later...