Alexanders5700

Segway MiniLite DOA and (non) resolution from Segway

Hey guys, just wanted to put this out there as my experience with a recent purchase of a Segway MiniLite.

I purchased a new MiniLite from Pharmaprix/Shoppers Drug Mart in early December (2 weeks ago), and was excited to gift it to my brother for Christmas. However not wanting to give him a dud, I opened it up (kept all the plastic on it) and tried to turn it on (by pressing the ON button). Nothing happened. I tried to plug it in to the charger and received a green light on the charger. After several hours I attempted to turn on the MiniLite to no avail.

As others have done, I called Segway and was given authorization to remove the battery and attempt to charge the battery directly to the charger for several hours. Again a green light on the charger, and again when attempting to put the battery back on the MiniLite and turn it on, nothing happened. So I had a dead battery.

Segway was informed and their only solution was for me to send the whole unit back to them (free shipping), and they would try to revive the battery. If they can revive the battery then they would ship the unit back (free shipping again), or if they could not revive the battery, they would exchange for a used/reconditioned unit as they do not have any new ones anymore.

As I have read that bringing batteries back from the dead only sometimes works, and that even if it does work the battery usually has a lower capacity. As Segway tests the battery capacity, all that means is that I was most likely going to be shipped a used/reconditioned unit...

This is supposed to be a gift, and I did not want to gift a used/reconditioned MiniLite to my brother. I asked if there was a way to pay the difference in price to get a new "S" or another model, but I was refused. It was either return the MiniLite to the store or accept (probably) a used/reconditioned MiniLite.

Unfortunately the store is now out of MiniLite, and has no plans to restock.

So there you go. All the travel time back and forth to the store, battery testing, all the calls and emails, and now I have no Segway at all (but at least my original money back).

Just a heads-up of my experience I thought would be interesting for the forum. Others certainly could have accepted a used/reconditioned unit, but in my case that would not fill the purpose (Christmas gift). Your needs may be different.

Cheers

Sad story, but I expect more DOA units because they are not really selling very fast anymore and sitting around for a long time.  

When you had the battery out, did you not see any light on the battery at all?  I've found reviving the batteries is more often than not successful , but in really dead cases can take a while, unless you resort to the tricks you may have seen published here.  It's possible using a 63V charger is more successful than the 58.8 they ship with, but have no concrete evidence of this.

Very good you got your money back.

I agree on there being more and more DOA batteries out there, that's partially why I wanted to tell my story. If someone comes to the forum and searches, I wanted to have a complete story out there, from purchase to resolution, and to enumerate the options I was told I had.

I would have certainly just sent just the battery in (that way I could keep the new Segway and box and gifted it for Christmas), but they don't have any un-attached batteries to give should the battery I sent in not be revived. The problem was really that I didn't want to get back a used/reconditioned MiniLite, even if that was only one of the possible options that would occur. In my case I didn't want to chance it getting a used one back. Other people buying for themselves might not care about getting a perfectly functioning MiniLite with a couple dings.

I find it disappointing they don't make/sell batteries anymore for the MiniLite. I mean if I send in my whole unit and the battery is not able to be revived, they give me a whole other reconditioned unit. So what do they do now with my completely new unit without a battery? Throw it away? What happens when they run out of reconditioned units? Then won't every MiniLite after that with battery issues goes straight to the garbage dump? I find that a horrible waste.

I'll keep in mind the higher power charger idea, should I find a good deal on a Segway in the future!

Cheers!

Yes the battery situation in general is very bad, cannot even buy the best batteries new anymore.  I'm hoping the speed/control enhanced firmware that M4M is now selling will also work with generic batteries, but I have not been able to install my board yet for a test.  I know it is possible with modified firmware, but I'm not sure if this mod was included in the released Swallowbot firmware.

My MiniPro320 had a defective battery (about a year ago) and they have attempted to resolve the issue by providing me a replacement model with a smaller battery (and then try and tell me that there was no such thing as the battery that shipped with my model)

I guess the only solution now is popping open battery and measuring the fourteen pairs of 18650 cells, seeing if there is any that read zero (hopefully not) or slightly less then 3.7 volts, if low voltage try recharging the pairs up individually with a 18650 charger. Not going to be easily or fast... I did the same thing to a Ego battery, when charge didn't want to charge it...

On 1/4/2020 at 8:52 PM, Invader Zog said:

My MiniPro320 had a defective battery (about a year ago) and they have attempted to resolve the issue by providing me a replacement model with a smaller battery (and then try and tell me that there was no such thing as the battery that shipped with my model)

I had a problem with one of the wheel motors with my MiniPro. I sent it off for repairs, they replaced it and sent it back. However, on the way back the parcel was damaged in transit and it was returned to sender. They told me that they would send me a replacement unit. A hunch made me email them to probe a bit further since having seen that MiniPros aren't sold on the site any more I wondered do they have a MiniPro to send me? Well, the response was "they will be shipping you a Ninebot S as a replacement". Seriously? lol I wonder when they planned to tell me that. Is that even legal? Imagine sending off your 55" TV to get repaired, they break it and send you a 42" model for your inconveniences. 

Anyway, sharing that recent story because maybe it'll corroborate others' experience with Segway.

I offer a segway battery service on eBay that I have had a pretty good success rate of bringing them out of the hibernation mode that they go into from sitting on the shelf too long.