First Successful Argument Against "Those aren't allowed here, you have to leave"

Marty Backe

Good job setting a precedent! Now we can just say to rangers in this park, "Remember the cape dude?"

Is there a list somewhere on this forum or elsewhere of state-specific laws?

I was visiting Colorado a few months ago and was stopped by a sheriff in Snowmass Village and he told me, one can't ride any motorized vehicle on bike trails, nor on the road (!). (he stopped me on the road) When asked about Aspen or the whole Colorado, he didn't know of any law, but specifically in Snowmass it's prohibited. He said they are actually giving tickets for that. (but didn't give me one, he appeciated how I made every effort to be protected (gear) and visible (vest, flashlights)) In Aspen, police saw me many times, never stopped me. Go figure.

Edited by Aneta
  • Like 1

well @Marty Backe if you were not allowed back, how would they maintain the trails from over growing ? :P

It is much easier to let you ride them back and forth on you wheels right ? ;)

• Like 3

Good job Marty.  A similar law was passed in Florida this year.  On another note, It’s amazing how the government can pick something and demonize it.  The media follows in lock step never really investigating it at all.  They must be losing too much tax revenue from people who have switched from cigarettes.  It’s money related some how.  

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Joker10 said:

Good job Marty.  A similar law was passed in Florida this year.  On another note, It’s amazing how the government can pick something and demonize it.  The media follows in lock step never really investigating it at all.  They must be losing too much tax revenue from people who have switched from cigarettes.  It’s money related some how.  

Well this is a bit side tracking or a different trail if you like. 

But you have not seen tax until you have lived in Denmark. High incomes can get taxed up to 70% on their last $/high income. On top of that they have 150% new car registration tax and 25% vat on everything. Since I don't smoke I don't know what the tobacco tax is other than it is high. 

That said people get practical free health care and social security. I didn't mind paying the taxes. But I can't help smiling when people from us talk about taxes.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, night_ombudsman said:

What about that 1000 watt bit? Doesn't that disqualify most current EUCs?

Yes, in a court of law. But in practice there is no means of determining the power of our EUCs so I don't think it's a worry.

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, in a court of law. But in practice there is no means of determining the power of our EUCs so I don't think it's a worry.

Can't they just go to the product web page and read the specs?

Curious thought re: power. It must be mechanical power, not electrical, right? (because it's the mech power that potentially can hurt rider or others should you lose control). But our wheels are rated by electric power, so they are effectively much less powerful mechanically. And moving at slow speeds consumes very little power anyway, 200-300 watts only.

1 minute ago, Nic said:

Can't they just go to the product web page and read the specs?

In the world that I live in, no police officer is going to pull up a web browser and try and locate the specifications for a wheel, particularly when 99% of police officers have never seen an EUC.

• Like 2

"unless specifically stated otherwise" - So how long do think it will be before they add a sentence specifically banning EUCs?

Do you think the overall look of motorbike helmets with mirror visors that hide faces and body armour help integrate us with the public and officials? Especially on quiet country walks. I didn't understand their position on vaping though - it's sort of encouraged in the UK as a way of getting people off smoking.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

In the world that I live in, no police officer is going to pull up a web browser and try and locate the specifications for a wheel, particularly when 99% of police officers have never seen an EUC.

In a court of law they might.:popcorn:

28 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

"unless specifically stated otherwise" - So how long do think it will be before they add a sentence specifically banning EUCs?

Do you think the overall look of motorbike helmets with mirror visors that hide faces and body armour help integrate us with the public and officials? Especially on quiet country walks. I didn't understand their position on vaping though - it's sort of encouraged in the UK as a way of getting people off smoking.

Cultures are different. In the United States, full-up gear is actually positive and will give you more points with the police, etc.  I think there's a sense that you take safety seriously and will behave appropriately. "outlaws" are the people without the gear.

So your statement rings hollow to American ears B)

• Like 3

I can certainly understand your dress code when commuting in heavy traffic. Though dressed like that here in the UK would definitely give the impression that you're out to ride fast and annoy folk while aiming to scare people at the same time but I guess that's what makes every country different. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, /Dev/Null said:

I'd argue while our taxes are "lower" (my combined fed/state/social/property/personal property/sales/etc is 50% or so), I have 0 to show for it (no free health care & the government tells me when I retire there won't be any money for me in the yearly newsletter)....so I'd argue you are better off.

Isn't the point of having lower taxes so that you can decide what do do with your money and save/invest in the future so that you can pay for your own health care and retirement?

I know you're exaggerating when you say "I have 0 to show for it", but it's just common sense that with lower taxes you'll get less "free stuff"

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Unventor said:

Well this is a bit side tracking or a different trail if you like. 

But you have not seen tax until you have lived in Denmark. High incomes can get taxed up to 70% on their last $/high income. On top of that they have 150% new car registration tax and 25% vat on everything. Since I don't smoke I don't know what the tobacco tax is other than it is high. 

That said people get practical free health care and social security. I didn't mind paying the taxes. But I can't help smiling when people from us talk about taxes.

If I start getting taxed like that, I am going to quit working. 

• Like 1