Proposal: limited maximum default speed

Inductores

I know a big stick started here in the U.K when a reasonably famous (YouTuber I think she was?) got killed while riding an (illegal here) electric scooter. As if people don't get killed any other way on the roads!

But it got me thinking.....I love watching the guys in the U.S (especially in New York) riding around the streets without a care in the world, and wondered of there had been any deaths with regards electric scooters or EUC's that had made the news and caused any kind of uproar?

I know for myself, regardless of what laws might come into effect, I'll continue to ignore them if it means being gimped speed wise. I'd happily pay insurance as long as insurance companies don't get silly about it.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but an electric scooter made legal, was quoted insured for me, at over £400 per year. That is more than it would cost me to insure a 1000CC superbike. That is crazy, and I do fear that if made legal here and some kind of insurance is required, that only a small number of insurers will give cover, and charge silly prices.

• Like 1

One way forward might be having a basic speed limit of 25kmh but, if you had a driving license, third party insurance and a helmet, then you could go to 50kmh on the roads (not in the bike lanes). Most folk could carry on as before but, for those that want speed, they'd at least have the option.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Retrovertigo said:

I mentioned this elsewhere, but an electric scooter made legal, was quoted insured for me, at over £400 per year.

The current insurance premium for an e-scooter in Germany is around 50 EUR per year for age above 23, and 80 EUR otherwise.

It's nice that the transportation commission rep told you that. But remember, "if it ain't in writing...". But it's great that you and your group were there to have firsthand knowledge of what's going on in your area.

And for the elderly fart, you should've told him to join the 21st century.

• Like 1