Lightweight Tesla V3 - gotway please make one!

If a gotway representative reads this I'm an inmotion v8 rider (like many others) that for a long time has been eager to upgrade.

Because I live in a densely populated city I hesitate to add 6kg to a new wheel like the Tesla. I have to nearly daily carry the wheel up long stairs at various places like malls/subway stations.

If you could find a way to put the tesla on a diet. 60 cell battery and keep it at 16-17kg or so I'd be on that immediately. Also waterproofing and if possible a 2.5inch tire. It would be a V8 successor that the world could unite around I think. I'm sure you'd like a bite into the market that the V8 has had. Sure some of that is because of its low price but people like me who are prepared to pay more, have no options.

Thank you for reading.

• Like 2

For what it's worth I'd be interested in the Tesla if it had a much stronger case and good rear lighting. I'll be looking for my next wheel in the new year and I like the specs of the Tesla but I'm just put off by always seeing pictures of Teslas strapped together with tape. I don't think these changes would add anything to the weight. A wider tyre and better waterproofing would obviously also be nice.

@alcatrazWouldn't the V8F come close to what you're after?

• 2 months later...

I want a Tesla shaped like the MCM5 ... I started commuting on the Tesla instead of the MCM5 recently.  It's an extra 5 lbs to lug into/out of the car, but man the Telsa rides so nicely.  The MCM5 is a bit lively.  Like them both a lot.  But I would kill for a Telsa shaped (and led placement) like the MCM5.

Edited by xorbe

4 hours ago, xorbe said:

I want a Tesla shaped like the MCM5 ... I started commuting on the Tesla instead of the MCM5 recently.  It's an extra 5 lbs to lug into/out of the car, but man the Telsa rides so nicely.  The MCM5 is a bit lively.  Like them both a lot.  But I would kill for a Telsa shaped (and led placement) like the MCM5.

5 lbs really? Are you comparing the 800Wh MCM5 and the 1020Wh tesla? I was interested in the MCM5 but I estimated there to be almost no weight difference at similar battery capacity and densities.

I'm on an 850Wh tesla now (old 80 cell) and consider building a 40 cell 21700 pack with new high drain 5000mAh cells. It would produce a 750Wh 17.5kg tesla.

Edited by alcatraz

52 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

I'm on an 850Wh tesla now (old 80 cell) and consider building a 40 cell 21700 pack with new high drain 5000mAh cells. It would produce a 750Wh 17.5kg tesla.

I don't understand the advantage of doing that. It seems like a lot of effort to build something that's 10% (1.5 kg) lighter but offers 13% less Wh and presumably range. 

• Like 1

You're assuming that I always run out of range and that the old pack hasn't seen a capacity reduction in 2-3years.

I've never run out of battery before my feet hurt and I want to be home. :D

Also I commute on my wheels and carry the wheel often. 1.5kg is not nothing.

I also put in a 2.5in tire and that works a treat. 

FYI I plan to build two 750Wh packs but just use one. That way I can load it up 20kg and 1500Wh if necessary. Here in china Sanyo/Panasonic 5000mAh 21700cells only cost 1usd each but even at that price I'm reluctant to buy 80pcs because I don't really need 1500Wh. The second pack will probably end up on a shelf and in 2 years time when I remember to use it there will be higher density cells available.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1