My Gotway Monster 100v committed suicide today and it was all my lack of maintenance fault.

2 hours ago, Peter Q said:

Can anyone please tell me where I can buy one of that special 24mm socket which can use on the Monster? Or maybe someone can help me to make one, and I will pay you back.

Thanks.

Peter Q

This might work: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32905014845.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4573b3dcSspMF5&algo_pvid=433e8a97-c882-42de-8d3f-e129f202c5d8&algo_expid=433e8a97-c882-42de-8d3f-e129f202c5d8-4&btsid=1e0c7cdc-d1d4-4413-8f2b-232fbcfbe343&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_8,searchweb201603_55

Or this: https://www.amazon.com/Metric-Spanner-Tubular-24mm-27mm-Fitting/dp/B07WDQ4K2T

Edited by hyperair

It's a terrible design for sure. The pedal hanger will always try to wiggle the nut out by alternating loads. (imagine you needed to unscrew a rusted nut - you'd do similar wiggle to loosen the nut) Loctite won't help for long, since this wiggle will start turning it into powder.

Attachment with nut is only reasonable if we had a proper structural inverted U connecting the hangers over the tire (just like a fork on a bicycle).

Facepalm got way, facepalm!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peter Q said:

Can anyone please tell me where I can buy one of that special 24mm socket which can use on the Monster? Or maybe someone can help me to make one, and I will pay you back.

Thanks.

Peter Q

You can borrow mine

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Or at a minimum drill tap a hole in the hanger and add a set screw to impale the nut. 

49195877853_90a40687df_b.jpg

Very cool idea. I don't think it's a complete fix because the axle nuts also get loose because the shims themselves get distorted over time, causing everything to get loose.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

You can borrow mine

Thank you so much Marty, will ask you to borrow that when the time come, I am now waiting for a V3 84v 2400wh delivery from eWheels, should be on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Peter Q

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I looked this up in the dictionary and had to laugh. I highlighted the second paragraph. Yep... that’s me! :D

a bastardized english version of the French word "voila" meaning "there it is" 

Often used by morons in an attempt to sound more intelligent than they actually are. 

LOL. Yep, you "bastardized" it. So typical ;)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Peter Q said:

Thanks.

Peter Q

Here's what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UZ0R08?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

Just requires disconnecting motor wires, which is easier for me than fabricating a notched socket.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mrd777 said:

Thanks for this post @chulander!
I immediately bought a 24mm socket and made a slot with a grinder. I used the work mate table (thanks @Marty Backe) and used a long pipe for leverage, which really helps. I applied red thread locker too. I was able to move the nut quite a bit. I had no slop on the pedal arm, however I took your post to heart.

Thanks,

mark

D823AF76-3061-4498-8819-2389E12E1BCC.jpeg

Except for the 10-foot lever arm :shock2: that's what I do :cheers:

:D

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

Thanks for this post @chulander!
I immediately bought a 24mm socket and made a slot with a grinder. I used the work mate table (thanks @Marty Backe) and used a long pipe for leverage, which really helps. I applied red thread locker too. I was able to move the nut quite a bit. I had no slop on the pedal arm, however I took your post to heart.

Thanks,

mark

D823AF76-3061-4498-8819-2389E12E1BCC.jpeg

Glad I could save another monster from taking off by itself 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Exactly this.

FWIW, Gotway 16's & below do not experience such axle nut un-tightening, and from what I can tell, this issue is very rare for even the 18's in the MSX of late (although I've seen a very minority wheels having this issue). No one else makes a 22" to compare against.

Playing devil's advocate, the few recent v2 Monsters I've re-tightened the axle nut (mine and others), there wasn't nearly enough threadlocker applied IMHO.

I wanna say the Monster was always 24mm, even v1 (not 100% on that).

More recent wheels like the MCM5, MSX, Nikola are all 24mm. Everything else before that I believe is 20mm.

I have seen ACM's (16-inch) with horribly loose axle nuts and/or distorted shims. But yes, it's seen much less on all other wheels than the Monster.

You're correct that the Monster was the first wheel with the 24mm axle. All the other Gotway wheels had 21mm axles. The Tesla (mid-2017) was the first non-Monster wheel with a 24mm axle. And these values are actually the size of the nut, not the axle, BTW :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You're correct that the Monster was the first wheel with the 24mm axle. All the other Gotway wheels had 21mm axles. The Tesla (mid-2017) was the first non-Monster wheel with a 24mm axle. And these values are actually the size of the nut, not the axle, BTW :)

What's the diameter of the axle?

36 minutes ago, Aneta said:

What's the diameter of the axle?

I have no idea. There's probably a lookup table that will give you the inner diameter for a typical 24mm nut.