My Gotway Monster 100v committed suicide today and it was all my lack of maintenance fault.

yes that gian

Just now, alcatraz said:

Do you mean the giant nut with the motor wire coming out of it, but the opposite side?

Even with tire changes that nut never needs to be touched. That was loose?

Yes, that giant 24mm nut. The side with the wiring requires a slightly altered tool

23 minutes ago, Joker10 said:

I better check the axle nut on my 18l.  It has about 2000 miles on it now.  

there is no need, this is only an issue with gotway wheels.. it is absolutely ludicrous that anyone should be expected to do any maintenance sub 1000 miles.. I have many thousands of km on many wheels and the most I've ever had on one was around 10,000 km.. in perfect condition as the day I got it never any maintenance.. this is something that gotway absolutely needs to address with next year's EUC lineup it's unacceptable for something that cost that much

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Do you mean the giant nut with the motor wire coming out of it, but the opposite side?

Oh they definitely need to be touched, with red loctite for a longer maintenance interval. On Monsters it’s a 99.9% certainty it will need to be done eventually, MSX it’s far less frequent but it does happen, Nikola so far so good. 

I thought OPs board failed given the sudden nature of his wheel going nuts, but I was wrong. @chulander make sure you red loctite both those axle nuts before riding it again. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

Oh they definitely need to be touched, with red loctite for a longer maintenance interval. On Monsters it’s a 99.9% certainty it will need to be done eventually, MSX it’s far less frequent but it does happen, Nikola so far so good. 

I thought OPs board failed given the sudden nature of his wheel going nuts, but I was wrong. @chulander make sure you red loctite both those axle nuts before riding it again. 

just weld it on lol

• Like 3

Just now, Rywokast said:

just weld it on lol

Honestly, no reason why not. those nuts don’t need to come off on tire changes. you’d need new pedal hangers if you ever needed to swap your motor out, but that’s pretty unlikely. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

Honestly, no reason why not. those nuts don’t need to come off on tire changes. you’d need new pedal hangers if you ever needed to swap your motor out, but that’s pretty unlikely. 

they should do it from factory.. motor would be the last thing to go and hangers are cheap,, actually, they should just find a non idiotic way to connect the hangers like every other euc manufacturer but that would be too easy lmao

1 hour ago, Joker10 said:

I better check the axle nut on my 18l.  It has about 2000 miles on it now.  

King Song doesn't employ an axle nut, it's 2 hex screws on top that secure the top piece to the KS pedal arm, and they *usually* blue loctite these screws.

KS pedal arm system:

hqdefault.jpg

Gotway pedal arm system:

1331630973_teslapedalarm.jpg.61b6648619f23f032e6db51334cfb3e8.jpg

42 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

just weld it on lol

40 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

If Gotway ever changes their mounting standard, like KS has done twice now for the XL & 16X pedals, you're screwed if you weld the nut.

1 hour ago, alcatraz said:

Sounds like you've never owned a Gotway Monster ;)

This is just a known issue, esp w/ v2 & v3 Monsters, since the increased size of the 22" wheel increases all the torque forces going on. Really screams for a multi-bolting system for the bigger Monster, ala how a car bolts on their rims.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

King Song doesn't employ an axle nut, it's 2 hex screws on top that secure the top piece to the KS pedal arm, and they *usually* blue loctite these screws.

KS pedal arm system:

hqdefault.jpg

Gotway pedal arm system:

yup I've done it more than once :-) the gotway system is ridiculous, hence why no one else does it

19 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

KS pedal arm system:

hqdefault.jpg

Gotway pedal arm system:

If Gotway ever changes their mounting standard, like KS has done twice now for the XL & 16X pedals, you're screwed if you weld the nut.

Sounds like you've never owned a Gotway Monster ;)

This is just a known issue, esp w/ v2 & v3 Monsters, since the increased size of the 22" wheel increases all the torque forces going on. Really screams for a multi-bolting system for the bigger Monster, ala how a car bolts on their rims.

imagine if tires were bolted on with 1 nut..... 

4 minutes ago, chulander said:

imagine if tires were bolted on with 1 nut..... 

yeah, when you get this big, you really need like 2 more nuts that's what she said, to make a small tight circle.

2_How_to_Replace_Drum_Brakes_person_loosening_lug_nuts_on_the_rear_wheels_of_a_vehicle

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

yeah, when you get this big, you really need like 2 more nuts that's what she said, to make a small tight circle.

2_How_to_Replace_Drum_Brakes_person_loosening_lug_nuts_on_the_rear_wheels_of_a_vehicle

... and you wanted them to make a 26” wheel, which would make this issue even larger 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rywokast said:

yup I've done it more than once :-) the gotway system is ridiculous, hence why no one else does it

Inmotion uses the same system as Gotway, and IIRC, so does Ninebot, and this is before we even get into the various off-brand wheels on the market.
The only EUC manufacturers I've seen using the King Song pedal arm clamp system are King Song themselves and the Rockwheel (specifically the GT16).

• Like 3

13 hours ago, hyperair said:

Inmotion uses the same system as Gotway, and IIRC, so does Ninebot, and this is before we even get into the various off-brand wheels on the market.
The only EUC manufacturers I've seen using the King Song pedal arm clamp system are King Song themselves and the Rockwheel (specifically the GT16).

yes you are right but they are doing something different because gotway is the only one i have ever once heard of them coming loose, something perhaps about how they use the shims maybe im not sure but its not a problem with anyone else

:innocent1:  I wonder why EUC makers don't switch to axle splines?  They could still have a mating part made of a compatible material to the axle for the spline that bolts/fits into the aluminum alloy pedal support block. 

https://viciousoffroad.com/n-31-counting-on-the-spline-why-axle-spline-count-matters.html

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rywokast said:

yes you are right but they are doing something different because gotway is the only one i have ever once heard of them coming loose, something perhaps about how they use the shims maybe im not sure but its not a problem with anyone else

I think Ninebot hammers some metal shims into the gap between the six nut side faces and the cylindrical wall of the pedal hangers, which prevents it from unscrewing. It's a workable system until you want to replace the motor, because it damages the pedal hanger every time you install that shim.

Inmotion seems to just use threadlock as far as I can tell. I suspect that the only difference between Inmotion and Gotway in this regard is how tightly they install the nut (whether they use a torque wrench for repeatable torque, or whether they just use a normal wrench and tighten by feel), and whether or not they use threadlock.

Another thing is that none of the other vendors using the wheel nut system have wheels above 16" in diameter (I think), and the torque requirements on the axle go up linearly with an increasing wheel size. It might simply be that this system fails on wheels with larger torque requirements, or that the wheel nut needs to be installed with more torque on these larger wheels. Also, did Gotway increase their axle size? I suspect that an increase in thread size requires a corresponding increase in nut tightening torque.

• Like 2