Inmotion V5f (from a beginners perspective)

mike_bike_kite

3 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I should also mention that pumping air into the tire isn't easy with a standard pump and you really need to get a flexible valve extender but I think this is true with all wheels.

Looks like one of those urban myths. Like the one you just debunked, that the V5F is only of use for ultra light riders because it doesn't have a big enough battery or powerful enough motor, or only for small riders because tall riders need a larger wheel. I have not troubles pumping a V8 with a "standard" mini pump. I can't remember to have ever used a valve extender on any of the three wheels I have owned. I also found that I don't need tubes with an angled valve shaft though it may be that some tubes just don't fit, I just seem to not have tried those. 

pump.thumb.jpg.2d55cdeeeebe935e6e7004a9f9837286.jpg

@mike_bike_kite, your determined and organized dedication to learning is admirable! And you got the hang of things quite quickly. Now it’s just about riding more and more and more. Your confidence, riding speed, and requirements will likely grow until you can no longer stand the V5F...

@Mono, any wheel can be used by any rider of any weight, as long as it is used in a manner that respects the amount of available power. Riding peacefully at 10mph on flat ground has never been thought to be of an issue, but that’s not what most people purchase a wheel for. If Mike or anyone else of our weight and height keeps pushing a V5F or a V8 hard when going above 15mph, or keeps surfing the top speed tilt-back, or fails to avoid a big enough pothole near the top speed, the wheel is very quickly overpowered.

I rode my first year with a Lhotz and I was very happy with it for many months, despite having a top speed well beyond it’s power. I fell once and jumped off twice due to overpowering the Lhotz during what I now consider a medium braking. My older brother overleaned the Lhotz at the start of an acceleration and hurt his unprotected knee pretty bad. Never rode again. I never got the sense of being near the limits on my 16S, despite pushing it many times harder on many occasions.

The danger becomes apparent if the rider’s confidence allows to comfortably ride at the wheel’s top speed. Which almost always happens with these lower powered wheels.

@Mono I thought my wheel was scratched until I saw yours - I think mine is pristine in comparison :) It may be possible to attach a standard air pump but I find it's not at all easy. I'm going to start riding with EUC world running on my smart watch. I know I have a little bit of headroom at the moment but it would be nice to know how much.

@mrelwood The V5f was fairly cheap to buy and did exactly what it said on the tin. It's been a pleasure to learn to ride on and I don't feel I'll loose much if I sell it on. Spending £1000/$1000/1000EUR on a wheel to learn on didn't look clever in my books but then I'll admit I'm quite tight with my money. I'll probably start looking for another wheel in a few months time and I like the idea of either a KS16S or Tesla V2 but I want to see if KS produce a quieter/lighter version of their wheel or Gotway produce a more robust Tesla with proper rear lighting. I can't really go bigger than that because the wife will notice I've bought a new wheel, it would also be more likely to attract attention from the police and finally I'll most likely ride too fast and crash. That last point has been a recurring pattern when riding motorcycles and unfortunately I'm not quite as "invincible" as I used to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I've been out and about on it every day for the past 3 weeks. Yesterday I went for a 5 mile ride which is the furthest I've been in one run. It showed 3 bars left but I suspect, with my weight, I'd probably only of got another mile or two. The wheel has a top speed of about 15mph but that only applies at full battery so for most of my rides I'm cruising along at 12mph on the edge of the tilt back. Weirdly, I actually quite like the tilt back on the wheel as it feels reassuring rather than scary. The limited speed is not a big issue, and certainly keeps me safe, but I'm already quietly looking for my next wheel. I'll hopefully be able to keep up with you a little bit better on a run then.

On 12/8/2019 at 12:28 PM, mike_bike_kite said:

I'll probably start looking for another wheel in a few months time

2.5 weeks later:

13 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I'm already quietly looking for my next wheel.

Not picking on you personally in any way, this just the way this damn addiction we desperately try to call ”a hobby” goes!

At least you seem to be having fun:

13 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I've been out and about on it every day for the past 3 weeks.

:thumbup:

• Like 2