my 4 month 800 miles review of the Gotway Monster V3

Hsiang

3 hours ago, Hsiang said:

Nice video as usual. You always conclude with an amusing note about wasting our time, but you've done anything but. I especially like that you take the time to write a unique narrative worth following all the way through. The only thing off the top of my head I can think of that I would have liked to see -- and it's possible it's even in this video, I often multitask and don't always have my eyes glued to the screen, haha -- would be a wheel to wheel size comparison, profile and head on. Like compared to the I5, 16x, etc. Since the monster is such an unusual size even if you did that sort of thing in your original review, I think it would have been worth seeing again.

My only other observation would be to fix that oscillation issue if only to have future updates on the Wheel come across a little more intelligibly -- I can definitely hear what you're saying but your voice sounds like you're riding over cobblestones or something like a grated bridge. :D

Edited by BecauseFun

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Well detailed (as always)... Thanks for that @Hsiang.

I don't want to start a debate on this, but you made a couple of comments that could be considered incorrect.

You made a couple of references to the Monster being the largest EUC ever - and if you consider only production models then you are most likely right. But there have been other even larger wheels out there. Like this custom build from Milbay in Australia - sorry, I don't know if it was ever for sale...

I actually remember seeing this when it was first posted way back when. Besides the gargantuan size, the other thing that jumps out at me the most is how high the pedals are. I think that Hsiang makes a good point in that this is a model where you could really see some future innovations being implemented. I remember reading about a rider going briefly airborne on their wheel going at high speed -- his feet actually were propelled upwards an inch or two above the pedals while doing 35mph+ iirc -- because they went over an imperceptible bump or dip in the road makes me think that a workable suspension setup with dampers might be the only sane way to travel at sustained speeds of 40 miles an hour and more. I think you could probably fit a suspension to just about any size wheel, but it would be easiest to start with a larger monster with higher pedals so you'd have the most usable up and down pedal travel to work with.

Edited by BecauseFun
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Well detailed (as always)... Thanks for that @Hsiang.

I don't want to start a debate on this, but you made a couple of comments that could be considered incorrect.

You made a couple of references to the Monster being the largest EUC ever - and if you consider only production models then you are most likely right. But there have been other even larger wheels out there. Like this custom build from Milbay in Australia - sorry, I don't know if it was ever for sale...

Wow, this looks very underpowered - for this wheel size, the magnets should be like 45-60mm, not 20-25-30mm typically found in bicycle motors.

3 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

But there have been other even larger wheels out there. Like this custom build from Milbay in Australia 

I bet 50 bucks he ended up in the water. ;)

49185051948_68bda7e26b_b.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Aneta said:

Wow, this looks very underpowered - for this wheel size, the magnets should be like 45-60mm, not 20-25-30mm typically found in bicycle motors.

Yep... IIRC it was the standard (back then) KS motor, customised with a larger rim / tyre and (obviously) cobbled back together.

I would not expect it to perform very well - especially compared against the wheels of today... But we do now have the 2200 W motor for the 18XL. Perhaps a revisit would be worthwhile?

7 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I bet 50 bucks he ended up in the water. ;)

If that had been @YoshiSkySun you would have been onto a winner!   :roflmao:

• Like 2