16X /18XL fast charge 10A

EUC Custom Power-Pads

Who charges his 16X /18XL with 10 Ampere (2x 5A per port)?

I'm talking about rarly use on longer tours, not for daily use and I know it will shorten the battery life. :)

Edited by buell47

4 minutes ago, Meserias said:

but also you could blow a fuse in the hotel room or restaurant ....:popcorn:

:efee612b4b: 

The power consumption of such a 10 amp charger is relatively low at least there are no problems here in Germany. 

• Like 1

In the original review video by Kuji Rolls, he said there were two ports and you could use up to 6 amps to charge them, but not sure where that number comes from.

Is it ok two use two different chargers? Like the original 1.5 amp combined with a 5 amp charger?

40 minutes ago, fryman said:

I would not recommend. If the wheel manufacturers thought it was a good idea then @Jason McNeil would have already had a 10A charger manufactured, and would be selling it.

For the manufacturer or seller, the risk regarding warranty in the event of something happening is out of proportion to the income.
I wouldn't do that any other way.

The benefit for us is however very large and there already the question arises, is it possible or is it really not possible?

Besides, we all know the attitude of King Song. Safety in the first place, no matter if it could come to a problem only in 0,1 % of the cases and only when Easter and Christmas fall on one day and at the same time is solar eclipse. :efee612b4b:

Probably Kingsong has only saved on the cable cross section and if that should be the bottleneck, this could be changed. :efefe00999:

Edited by buell47

18 hours ago, Seba said:

I made some tests with thermal camera to determine thermal load on various components of my KS-18L and KS-18XL. As a result I advise to keep current at or below 9 A. It's still enoght to fully charge KS-18XL within 2 hours.

Thanks Seba, we have already discussed it a bit, but the 10A is still a topic. I know you have your limit with 8A.

Can you tell me where you see the problem? The battery itself shouldn't be a problem, is it the board or the cables that looked dubious with the thermal camera? 

I can imagine that the cables are the problem, but one could simply replace them. Have you already done that? 

The cables from the charging connector to the control board are actually pretty short and don't look any thinner than most cables in a car, such as the cigarette lighter, which can also handle 10-15 A. And that even at 12V instead of 84V. If I use the online cable calculator right, then 84V /10A need just a 27 AWG (0.1 mm2) cable at 25 cm length. :confused1: 

The original wire is a 18 AWG (0.82 mm2) 200°C cable. 

According to the cable calculator: 18 AWG with 25cm length is capable of 84V and 80A. LOL :laughbounce2:

Where is my error, or are several cable cross-section calculators faulty? :confused1: 

@Chriull :)

Screenshot-20191207-111014-Quick-Pic.jpg

20191207-120228-01.jpg

Edited by buell47

1 hour ago, buell47 said:

Where is my error, or are several cable cross-section calculators faulty? :confused1: 

Cable diameter, length and max current determine a maximum voltage sag and temperature rise for a given enviroment. So there are different "rules" for cables used in households (how many cables in one ?installation bay?/?tube?) or cars, etc...

Could fit for charging cables used in EUCs. Or not...

If one looks at the battery discharge cables/motor wires beside my gut feeling would say they are ok. ;)

The charge wires don't go directly to the battery anymore but by the mainboard! So all traces/components that are between the charge cable plug and the battery charge input have to withstand the charge current.

The KS16X is measuring the charge current - wasn't there a firmware that started beeping at currents above some 5A?

Also the components in the input protection circuitry of the battery BMS have to withstand the charge current.

So there is more as to just look up some AWG cable calculator :(.

Most presumably it could work out - but there could be valid reasons why KS had this firmware warning at charge currents above ?5?A!

• Like 1

Yes, they implemented the 5A alarm, but perhaps only because of their extreme safety policy, because a single wheel is burnt down by a faulty charger.
Also the stupid behavior that it doesn't turn off completely after a full charge. This "safety feature" came just after that single incident. :mellow:

Before that it was said that 10A would be okay distributed on both ports. Both the 18XL and the 16X. Later, contradictory statements were made. :confused1:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buell47 said:

Yes, they implemented the 5A alarm, but perhaps only because of their extreme safety policy, because a single wheel is burnt down by a faulty charger.
Also the stupid behavior that it doesn't turn off completely after a full charge. This "safety feature" came just after that single incident. :mellow:

Before that it was said that 10A would be okay distributed on both ports. Both the 18XL and the 16X. Later, contradictory statements were made. :confused1:

If you bought your wheel from 1radwerkstatt i'd say chris is the one to give you a "real" statement!

• Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 11:20 AM, buell47 said:

Cables indeed are not a problem. The problem is that there is a circuit on mainboard that routes charging current. It gets hot under high current. Constant flow of 10 A causes it to go above 100 °C, what could cause overheating in some cases. Keeping current at 9 A helps to keep its temp below 100°C which should provide enough safety margin.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting this, I just received mine and would have been stuck.

It would have been nice to have this (or the C1000) available with cutoff and skip the 5A charger all-together.
I like mine but it's becoming a waste of ressources to have multiple devices.
Might as well go directly to the wheels max charge rate as we already have the stock charger for being compact.

Edited by null

Would anybody KNOW if i can charge(16x) with 2 different chargers(1xstock 84.2v 1.5A and a fast charger 84.2v 5A)?

AND/or do permutations such as 1.5A with 3A on the other charger 

1.5A with 2A

1.5A with 4A

1.5A with 1A

???

TIA

I have already used most of your versions and it hasn't caused any problems for me. However, I have used two different chargers just for quick recharging, but never fully charged to the end. As soon as the charger entered the CV phase, I stopped charging or just used one charger? I do not know if it is good to use 2 different chargers in this last phase. 

• Like 1

About red adjustable 12A charger: the switch to turn off battery detection can be accessed through one of the holes on the side. So you might not need to open it. 

• Like 2

Yes, but only if you know that there is a switch behind the hole and that this switch also deactivates this battery detection. Without an instruction manual and a dealer who has no idea what to do, you will only see this after the procedure mentioned above. :efee612b4b:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The bike is a KS 18L, charging with a powerful 8 amp (unmeasured) Chinese ended 70%, now even the original charger does not charge or connect the bluetooth as normal. The bike starts up but notifies that there is no bluetooth connection, the charging current is coming to the circuit board. Good advice would be needed.

48 minutes ago, mozart said:

The bike is a KS 18L, charging with a powerful 8 amp (unmeasured) Chinese ended 70%, now even the original charger does not charge or connect the bluetooth as normal. The bike starts up but notifies that there is no bluetooth connection, the charging current is coming to the circuit board. Good advice would be needed.

You verified that the charger has the right output voltage!? You should measure the no load output voltage. Double check you have no 100V charger.

However you should do a visual inspection of the battery packs (signs of molten plastic wraps or just a color change near the input circuitry (protection mosfets))

Check if all fuses are ok (ks18l also has more than one?)

Check the wiring from the charge plug to the batteries.

Verify the charger pin connection corresponds to the plug pin wiring!

Hope for a firmware hickup and disconnect the batteries from the mainboard.

Once the batteries are disconnected measure their output voltage. (1) Do not reconnect them if their voltage differs!

Empty the capacitors by turning the wheel on. Then reconnect the batteries. Plugging in the connectors should be done without hesitation! It will spark - the longer one "fiddles around" without really plugging in the connectors the higher the chance to melt something (connector, ?fuse?).

Here another great description for the restart process:

If all this did not help/give any clue disconnect the batteries again and charge each of the packs seperately (with the original working charger!)

Supervise their output voltage by measuring with a voltmeter!

Only reconnect the packs (like described above) only if all packs have the same output voltage!

(1) since already disconnected you could check the batteries by charging them individually already at this points.

Pff... Many Points ... And no real idea by now :ph34r:

But at some point enough clues should be gathered to solve the puzzle....

Ps.: You already tried to charge with your original charger? Could maybe reset the bms, in case some protection triggered? But this would not really explain the not working bluetooth module....

If you decide to try this carefully watch the wheel as already severe damage could have  happened to one of the battery bms.

Yes I measured the charging voltage 84V, also the polarity is correct and the voltage comes from the plug to the circuit board.
Both fuses are in good condition, with no evidence of melting or burning odor.
The batteries are both 77V, and the wheel starts and moves. Just charging doesn't work, plugging in the charger normally starts a bluetooth connection, but now also doesn't work.
Removing the batteries and draining the capacitors did not change anything.
This fault came in the middle of charging, I started with a low battery and got 70%.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mozart said:

Just charging doesn't work,

With the normal charger, too?

How did you "verify" this, beside no bluetooth connectiin coming up? (sorry for the "stupid" questions...:ph34r:)

1 hour ago, mozart said:

Removing the batteries and draining the capacitors did not change anything.

That's a pity. As in the quoted post above is described that's the (only) way to restart the bluetooth module...

1 hour ago, mozart said:

Yes I measured the charging voltage 84V, also the polarity is correct and the voltage comes from the plug to the circuit board.
Both fuses are in good condition, with no evidence of melting or burning odor.
The batteries are both 77V, and the wheel starts and moves. 

That sounds great! Seems nothing too grave happened?!

Only thing that comes to my mind till now regarding the no charging is, that something between the charging plug (wiring, connectors, BMS) is broken.

Your statement

1 hour ago, mozart said:

and the voltage comes from the plug to the circuit board

is imo not necessarily true. Could be the charger voltage not "comming" through to the battery, but the battery voltage still "arrives" at the circuit board.

If the charger voltage would come through from the plug to the circuit board, one would see a (small) voltage jump once the charger is connected - hence it would charge the battery...

... but still no idea regarding the bluetooth connection... You mean the music or the data bluetooth connection? The voice message "bluetooth" connected regards only the music connection and only comes up if it is paired with a device. Did you check if the pairing is still active? Maybe the bluetooth module reset and got a new bluetooth address?

Does the data bluetooth connection not work, too?

The original charger supplies 84V voltage to the circuit board, the batteries voltage is 77.7V measured from the circuit board. Plugging in the charger does not change the voltage of the batteries at all, bluetooth devices appear on the phone while the bike is running, kingsong-music connects but ks-18l-3930 does not connect. a message will appear: the pin or key is invalid.