Why did I fall?

Mono

14 hours ago, atdlzpae said:

Story time? ;)

It was an awkward landing when I was practicing going backwards, and accidentally reversed the controls. I didn't even fall, but that landing tore my calf muscle straight as a line across the fiber. That little fall cost me a month of being a cripple.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I count all "loss of control followed by a bail" to be a crash.

9 hours ago, LanghamP said:

no EUC crash is minor.

I can't quite follow this fluently changing meaning of the word crash :rolleyes:

When I say crash I personally do not mean just

• stumble
  • unintentionally separation from the wheel
  • walk off
  • hop off
  • run off
  • the wheel drops to the ground

A crash entails to my understanding either some short but severe force, usually from deceleration, or at least finding myself on the ground.

That's me, and of course it doesn't matter how I use the word myself (or any other word for that matter) or how I want the word to be understood. The meaning of words is only determined by how the majority of people use them.

1 hour ago, Mono said:

I can't quite follow this fluently changing meaning of the word crash :rolleyes:

When I say crash I personally do not mean just

• stumble
  • unintentionally separation from the wheel
  • walk off
  • hop off
  • run off
  • the wheel drops to the ground

A crash entails to my understanding either some short but severe force, usually from deceleration, or at least finding myself on the ground.

That's me, and of course it doesn't matter how I use the word myself (or any other word for that matter) or how I want the word to be understood. The meaning of words is only determined by how the majority of people use them.

There's nothing contradictory. You bail from losing control, that's a crash. I might make an exception for people bailing then catching the wheel before it hits the ground, but all others you list I refer to as a crash. In all examples you listed, the wheel incurs damage. That is, if you did any of those actions listed to a brand new wheel, could you then turn around and sell said wheel as "as new" condition.

Now there's levels of crashing, ranging from "step off" to "oh shit, here's my crotch coming around to smack my face again", but even a minor step off can result in severe shin injuries. And even minor drops can result in bricking the wheel, which unlike skateboards seem rather delicate.

I reckon veteran riders as having hundreds, perhaps thousands, of crashes, and I wouldn't think much of a rider who didn't.

6 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Post a shot of the footpads and the footpad joint, and if it's uncratched then I'll believe you.

v10pedals-2months.thumb.jpg.bc32f5ed6db16e532c783a3cc2c1feee.jpgscratches-1.thumb.jpg.3ae155a54bab75451cc2c2e75e630ec8.jpg

As you can see, perfectly undamaged.

2 minutes ago, Mono said:

v10pedals-2months.thumb.jpg.bc32f5ed6db16e532c783a3cc2c1feee.jpgscratches-1.thumb.jpg.3ae155a54bab75451cc2c2e75e630ec8.jpg

As you can see, perfectly undamaged.

I tried using hard plastic bent into shape with a heat gun, couldn't make stay on, and then used layers of duct tape which worked adequately, but I never could figure out how to protect the raised footpad joint.

On 12/11/2019 at 1:25 AM, Mike Sacristan said:

But have you crashed as much as Monika?
Does just casually walking off the wheel also count as a crash? :efee612b4b:
I never knew that was an option until I saw her do it.
Do you get bonus points for launching it into a kid on his bicycle?

I also rather step off early than to risk falling or getting hit by the wheel later. I never thought though that flailing arms are a real thing until now. And until I started to try riding seated backwards. Now I know how amazingly well flailing the arms work for me as well :) kinda couldn't do without.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mono said:

I also rather step off early than to risk falling or getting hit by the wheel later. I never thought though that flailing arms are a real thing until now. And until I started to try riding seated backwards. Now I know how amazingly well flailing the arms work for me as well :) kinda couldn't do without.

Seated backwards... now that's some next level stuff haha.

7 hours ago, Daley1 said:

I fell off my chair watching Monika learning the EUC ,and then "throw her wheel " at a child. Does that counts as a crash?LOL:w00t2:

Yeah now in retrospect I should have added the voice from the game Wipeout saying "Missile!" and then her launching the wheel.
The other day she also just walked off the MSX and I asked her "Have you considered trying to grab the wheel?" and she answers "I'm wearing mittens".

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 9:39 AM, Tazarinho said:

2. Unless you are setting up a recording device and going past it, your balance is different. Whether you are using a selfie-stick, extending an arm or operating a drone on your phone, your center of gravity shifts. If you don't do it regularly it means you're not used to it and are more prone to dropping your wheel.

Just my 2 cents.

I relate to this one. The experienced folks make riding with the selfie sticks look simple. I can do it but haven't made videos lately because it adjusts my balance uncomfortably.

I've seen people mount their 360 cams. I think there are enough vids of riders so I don't need to add to it for now. 

Edited by Lillian