What speeds are you dreaming of, realistically?

Mono

What maximal speed to we want?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How fast do you want to go, realistically? Considering that the maximal speed of an EUC affects portability, power consumption, range, safety, and questions about legalization and enforcement of legality, what maximum speed do you want to be able to ride?

• ≤ 20 km/h
    • 21-25 km/h
    • 26-30 km/h
    • 31-40 km/h
    • 41-50 km/h
    • 51-60 km/h
    • 61-70 km/h
    • >70 km/h
  2. 2. What do you think would most EUC users, in five years from now, choose as their preferred maximum speed for their new EUC?

• ≤ 20 km/h
    • 21-25 km/h
    • 26-30 km/h
    • 31-40 km/h
    • 41-50 km/h
    • 51-60 km/h
    • 61-70 km/h
    • >70 km/h

2 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

80kph please. The stopping distance is negligible. If you know what you’re doing, and opening up on long roads, you don’t ever need to stop on an EUC, just go around things that are moving slower than you. Someone emergency stops in front of you? No problem. Split lanes, pass on the oncoming lanes, etc. 

you’re speaking my language! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, atdlzpae said:

That's because every single truck has to pass the yearly test. And a truck is not a good form factor for racing.
Do you want to have your e-bike checked for compliance every year?

That's not what I had in mind.

Germany is not a good example to quote because they are way too strict in their regulations (Ordnung muss sein) and getting an EUC legalized there is close to impossible.

True, but even in Germany it's possible to ride past the police with an illegal EUC without anybody getting unhappy. It's actually the usual course of events, I have done it personally several times. This is particular remarkable as the law requires any police officer to intervene, it's not optional for them like it is for many small offenses.

But how do you identify the rider? Do you require them to register their vehicle and install plates? <_< I don't like authoritarianism and such solutions almost certainly will make EUC's illegal.
Germany proved that. It's legal if you insure your EUC.

EUCs are not legal in Germany, even with insurance. I am following this legal situation closely. E-scooters have been legalized, EUCs and e-skateboards have not.

But nobody will insure your EUC.

Several people have reported to have gotten insurance for their EUC in Germany. In fact, weirdly enough, insurance companies are obliged to provide insurance, regardless of whether a vehicle is street legal. Not all insurers obey their obligation though.

Also, people who come to Germany for 2 weeks certainly will have to leave their EUC's at home, too much bureaucracy.

Or ride illegally. Hard to say whether I would recommend it, but for sure it would not be a first. The number of people doing that every day in Germany is probably rather in the thousands than in the hundreds.

• Like 1