WaveCut

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Good info. Let us know if it's still working in a month after riding like that. This wheel that failed had probably 500+ miles on it and was 6+ weeks old.

Let’s hope so 😁. I’ll find out soon, I’ve got almost 400 on it now. I didn’t know that they didn’t use the to-247 mosfets, i might not have bought it if I’d known. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jpd said:

I didn’t know that they didn’t use the to-247 mosfets, i might not have bought it if I’d known. 

The TO-220 package they use already has a current rating of something like 170A, so it obviously should be way more than enough. I’m quite confident that wasn’t the issue here.

• Like 1

Yikes.

I have seen my Inmotion V5F+ reach 135-140 degrees when I am riding during the hot summer days.... and I have been fine.

I was never that worried until now. Should I be worried?

1 hour ago, LorenW said:

Yikes.

I have seen my Inmotion V5F+ reach 135-140 degrees when I am riding during the hot summer days.... and I have been fine.

I was never that worried until now. Should I be worried?

We are talking Celsius, not Fahrenheit. After conversion, your V5 gets to about 60C, which is still safe I think.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Seba said:

I assume you have Fahrenheits in mind. V11 temperature measurement range ends at 175 deg. C. I was able to heat up MOSFETs to 115 deg. C what means 240 Fahrenheit. No problems and any sign of overheating.

Wow. 115°C! That's toasty. 

I guess you gotta be riding in a pretty hot place to even get that high. 

1 hour ago, Seba said:

I assume you have Fahrenheits in mind. V11 temperature measurement range ends at 175 deg. C. I was able to heat up MOSFETs to 115 deg. C what means 240 Fahrenheit. No problems and any sign of overheating.

Sadly electronics doesn't work like that, the higher the temperature, the shorter the lifespan of the components. You can seek for some information on google by typing something like "capacitor lifespan vs temperature". I know mosfets are tough components but they're located next to other components and this can make them fail very quickly.

I am wondering whether to cancel the preorder :/ .

Oh no. 

@Hsiang hope your V11 is repairable. 

My opinion for the accident is your no. 3 reason.

I reckon it was the road. Never seen a tyre get damaged like that. 

Edited by onizukagto
After watching the video
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, eve said:

Try chilling down Mr. Know-it-all.

I think you are the one who should chill down, Mr. Name-caller... I just stated the truth, like it or not. 

Additionally, you are asking an American something that goes beyond their way of thinking (= somebody else exists in the world) but by doing so you take a self-centric approach... a contradiction as a minimum. 

@Marty Backe, no pun itented, nothing personal. 

Edited by Coco66
  • Like 1

To me. It looks like he wasn’t ready for the landing at the speed he was going. For the V11 to keep going that far after a fall, I’ll assume he was doing well above 20 mph. Especially for the impact it took at the back of the truck. 

I say this because It happened to me twice already. When you start to go above 20mph and hit a bump or something where the suspension will pop you up, you can easily lose control and gain a wobble on the landing. Both times I was able to control it by clinching the v11with my legs real tight and putting both my hands out to balance. It was scary and I was not prepared for it. It did feel like the thing wanted to leave me and I think it’s something you will have to learn to control. Now I slow down on speed bumps and imperfections on the roads and sidewalks. Until I can learn to control the landing, I’ll be slowing down around holes and bumps. Practice, practice, practice.....

....or, maybe a defect in the tire. 

Edited by Vagrant Sneaker
  • Like 1

That was a lot of damage on the V11. The weight transfer on the top of the shock is concerning. I'm thinking the addition of suspension may be leading us into a false sense of security. 

Edited by Shield
Grammar
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Coco66 said:

Additionally, you are asking an American something that goes beyond their way of thinking (= somebody else exists in the world) but by doing so you take a self-centric approach... a contradiction as a minimum. 

Marty what is your time when it premieres? For your europe watchers its 00:00. I have to go to work. :( Would really appreciate if you released 1 hour earlier next time, unless it mess up your US premiere time.

Can you point where is my self-centric approach? I was suggesting it and was being nice. Marty didnt get offended so stop stating your "truth". 
I dont need to hear it. Have a nice day.

55 minutes ago, Vagrant Sneaker said:

When you start to go above 20mph and hit a bump or something where the suspension will pop you up, you can easily lose control and gain a wobble on the landing. Both times I was able to control it by clinching the v11with my legs real tight and putting both my hands out to balance.

This is why custom padding is pretty much a necessity on V11. 

9 hours ago, Jpd said:

@Marty Backe do you know the specs for overheat hill, length and grade? I’ll test it on something similar if you do. First with my lightweight son though 😆

All I can do is give you the GPS map of the route. I'll try to remember to post it here

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vagrant Sneaker said:

ONLY THE SADDLE. Just my thought and assumption....Basically, the way you maneuver with your legs on the saddle may be adding too much pressure to the sides of the saddles. If you’re consistently adding pressure from doing turns, breaking, etc. It may be adding constant pressure to the thin plastic around the screws. Maybe it can’t handle that pressure all the time. If this is the case, I would think it would be a flaw in the design. Imagine having to consistently replace these because of that. This means if you take a bad fall to one of the sides, I would suspect the plastic around the screws would easily also break from the impact.  But like I said, this is just me assuming. I’m trying to figure out the cause. It’s seems I’m not the only one with the issue. I just hope there’s a fix for it. 

Take this with a grain of salt until we figure out what could be the cause. I don't wanna scare others. Just wanna put what Im going through at the moment with the wheel. Other than that, LOVE the V11.

Thanks for this. I preordered that wheel but since I like to ride aggressively (not really higher speeds but I like sharp turns and strong breaking) I think I"ll wait for Inmotion to fix this. Cheers

2 hours ago, Vagrant Sneaker said:

To me. It looks like he wasn’t ready for the landing at the speed he was going. For the V11 to keep going that far after a fall, I’ll assume he was doing well above 20 mph. Especially for the impact it took at the back of the truck. 

I say this because It happened to me twice already. When you start to go above 20mph and hit a bump or something where the suspension will pop you up, you can easily lose control and gain a wobble on the landing. Both times I was able to control it by clinching the v11with my legs real tight and putting both my hands out to balance. It was scary and I was not prepared for it. It did feel like the thing wanted to leave me and I think it’s something you will have to learn to control. Now I slow down on speed bumps and imperfections on the roads and sidewalks. Until I can learn to control the landing, I’ll be slowing down around holes and bumps. Practice, practice, practice.....

....or, maybe a defect in the tire. 

I wonder if the faster rebound and its lack of adjustability on the V11 can be dangerous when riding at speed? It would make since that the wheel would pop-up quite fast and lose traction, and therefore control, if the rebound is too fast. Of course the rebound is adjustable on the S18 so you could tune it to not do this, I think (I don't really know, just throwing out ideas). Maybe the V11 suspension is tuned to be ideal at slower speeds?

Hsiang's crash video is concerning....

I look at my V10F across the room and appreciate it's relative simplicity and durability vs the newest Inmotion. It's taken so much abuse, including tumbling 20 metres down a mountain bike trail, and still rides like a champ. Pure simplicity. As much as I like the new suspension wheels, I think one should still try to actively avoid potholes and other dangers than can destroy a road tire.

Any way, I hope Inmotion releases a non-suspension V11 to succeed the V10F. All the best parts of the V11 (custom motor, headlights, bigger battery, 18" wheel) but without suspension.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Hsiang's crash video is concerning....

I look at my V10F across the room and appreciate it's relative simplicity and durability vs the newest Inmotion. It's taken so much abuse, including tumbling 20 metres down a mountain bike trail, and still rides like a champ. Pure simplicity. As much as I like the new suspension wheels, I think one should still try to actively avoid potholes and other dangers than can destroy a road tire.

Any way, I hope Inmotion releases a non-suspension V11 to succeed the V10F. All the best parts of the V11 (custom motor, headlights, bigger battery, 18" wheel) but without suspension.

This has exposed the fact that now that suspension by definition makes the wheel more complex they cannot withstand a fall. Now when these things take a roll they are blowing to pieces. Not happy about this in the least. 

• Like 2