WaveCut

10 hours ago, Zopper said:

This. And the energy consumption grows with speed squared, 

Nice edit!

As it was right that power consumption grows with the cube of speed per time intervall, for range it's only square of speed!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AtlasP said:

Ignore that.

Here's the thing: non-intuitively, the '18' in an 18 x 3 tire is actually bigger than the '18' in a 18 x 2.5 tire, because the '18' in those tire size ratings isn't really the outer diameter nor the rim diameter but rather some arbitrary number somewhere in between, and hence the outer diameter is also affected by the tire width/overall girth of the part of the tire filled by the tube. (This is not specific/unique to EUCs and is an issue with bicycle tires more broadly.)

There are three possible ways to resolve this:

1. Ignore these differences and say that for example an 18 x 2.5 tire and 18 x 3 tire are both just "18 tires". This seems bad because it makes them sound the same general size/dimension when they're not.
  2. Make up a bigger number than 18 when referring to an 18 x 3 to convey its larger size compared to an 18 x 2.5 tire (examples: that YouTuber or everyone at Gotway & Veteran apparently). This answer is worse because you're literally making things up, and worse what is being said/claimed actually explicitly contradicts the tire manufacturer and what's physically printed on the actual tire which is confusing as hell.
  3. [The right answer] Everyone--the bulk of active forum enthusiasts here, major youtubers, etc--should only ever refer to tires by their full size rating "A x B" (or "B-A" for moto tires), and NEVER by only the single number 'A'. So an EUC may be an "18x3 wheel" or "18x2.5 wheel" etc, and never just an "18 wheel" or "16 wheel", etc, as the latter terms are misleading by omission and obfuscate the precise attribute (overall size/scale of the tire) which they're trying to convey. This is the way forward; do it people.

Or like the bicycle industry for the people who care, we could just start insisting on the current standards in measurements for rims and tires. It's at least a start.    

That means: ETRTO for tires, and they should also list TPI.  And metric rim sizes such as 25-559 for a 25mm outer-width 559mm diameter.  so when putting the tire on the rim you can make some educated calls if you have the two sizes.  It does not cover everything about a tire, but it's where sizing should start.  We could use the French system with designated widths, but that is too limited I think.

Anyway it is up to the manufacturers to just start using these consistently and it will make most sense for the others to follow.

Edited by FreeRide

Ive got a few $$ freed up and now this has my interest. Im really jaded about the build quality of these things. Is anyone seeing in stupid issues like missing screws, bad batteries, broken plastics? I want to enjoy a suspension wheel so badly, as I know its the future. But, I am not trying to be disappointed over and over again. I truly am shocked that the v11 is getting such great reviews in compare to the s18. Is the power of the v11 easy to tap into? The power of the s18 seemed all too similar to their 18L. Im a gluton for punishment, so its not impossible that I may toss down on this one. I guess Ill need to read up on the last few pages here to see what REAL issues are happening. I guess its water rating is a little inflated so far?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

But... but... unsprung weight?!?! :P

Here we go.

still makes sense.  S18 performed better for multiple bumps. The v11 tho, probably rides a lot smoother or floaty in general, due to its unsprung weight. Kind of like a twitchy supercar vs a comfy caddy cruiser?  I can say the s18 suspension was VERY responsive at least. Not that its a better wheel, it just falls in line with what I expected the suspension to do. I bet the v11 feels much more 'plush'.

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Im really jaded about the build quality of these things.

Then Inmotion is your brand! But you should definitely avoid any first or second batches in the future. 

So far there have been some quality issues reported on the V11, but surprisingly few for a first production run. Looks like they’ve all been addressed by Inmotion already. The latest issue was a bearing that wasn’t sealed, I heard they will use a better one in next batches. Some screws were bad quality and the torque wrenches at the production line were improperly adjusted or the workers were not educated to use them. If you order now, you will probably get a wheel earliest from the fourth or fifth batches anyway. They had thousands of preorders. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Finn Bjerke said:

https://ecodrift.ru/2020/07/23/inmotion-v11-razbiraem-ch-1/

Monokoleso-Inmotion-V11-rabiraem-30.jpg

A DEEP look inside ... notice vulnarable fan too open for water and dirt ...

Monokoleso-Inmotion-V11-rabiraem-31.jpg

I think waterproofing is fine.

I remember seeing avideo of Inmotion themselves spraying the V11 until dripping wet and it rolled off fine. Unfortunately i just combed this thread and i can't for the life of me find the link to that video.

If you want opinion on the water proofing, you can watch EVX video:

I think the points of the fan intake, is a valid place for water to get int here, but the circuit board housing has a beefy gasket ans the electronic board itself does have conformal coating to seal it (water resistant)  you can see it in the Inmotion factory tour video.

The fan is waterproof and only if you are intentionally spraying water (like in the video above) at that area, you might get water into it, but doing so is actually above the IP55 rating.
(There is  big gap between IP55 and IP56).

As for example of "water damage" only Duf experience that, which was a mechanical problem, not electronic.

Edited by onizukagto
grammar
  • Like 3

Worth remembering that Duf left the wheel bath in rainwater for a week for the bearings to go bad. And it’s the only V11 unit that has a reported an issue with the bearings. Or anything water related really. I think Inmotion changing the bearings because of this is almost an overreaction. The Z bearings have after all been used in some other EUCs as well. IM truly seems to be aiming for perfection with this one.

8 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I shouldnt have to lean like a fool, to get me some pull

You are already familiar with the 18L. Of the wheels I’ve tried, KS fw 2.x requires the least amount of effort to accelerate. I’m afraid you will never find a wheel that accelerate with less effort than that. 18” is 18”, nothing more can be done to overcome that. If you need peppier acceleration, your only choice is a smaller tire diameter.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Worth remembering that Duf left the wheel bath in rainwater for a week for the bearings to go bad. And it’s the only V11 unit that has a reported an issue with the bearings. Or anything water related really. I think Inmotion changing the bearings because of this is almost an overreaction. The Z bearings have after all been used in some other EUCs as well. IM truly seems to be aiming for perfection with this one.

You are already familiar with the 18L. Of the wheels I’ve tried, KS fw 2.x requires the least amount of effort to accelerate. I’m afraid you will never find a wheel that accelerate with less effort than that. 18” is 18”, nothing more can be done to overcome that. If you need peppier acceleration, your only choice is a smaller tire diameter.

Kingsong 16x didn't take much effort is a brill wheel for Shane 👍 saying that V11 was compared to a 16x torque and msx speed maybe that might be a good option

• Like 1