WaveCut

Thoughts on the v11 as a first wheel? I'm 5'8" 150lbs...snowboard a bit and bike around the city but not much else in terms of sports that require balance. Looking to buy a wheel that will last for a while so I won't have to upgrade after a year. Any insight would be great!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ddd said:

Thoughts on the v11 as a first wheel? I'm 5'8" 150lbs...snowboard a bit and bike around the city but not much else in terms of sports that require balance. Looking to buy a wheel that will last for a while so I won't have to upgrade after a year. Any insight would be great!

You can start with any wheel. The V11 is is a good bet if you want to keep it for a long time. But futureproofing purchases in a fast moving tech is usually not a good idea. Just make sure you keep the resale value. There will be many more wheels on the market in coming years. 

Someone posted this at Inmotion telegram channel. 

But I thought someone might find this interesting here too.

https://translate.google.com/translate?source=osdd&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fforum.ecojazda.pl%2Findex.php%2Fstart%2Finmotion%2F628-recenzja-v11-na-szybko

So it looks like a demo from @EUniCycles.eu is in the plans. Sometimes I just live in the wrong country...then sometimes it is just great.

But from a EUC viewpoint I am in a Nevada desert 😒 I really wished I had a local reseller.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

Someone posted this at Inmotion telegram channel. 

But I thought someone might find this interesting here too.

https://translate.google.com/translate?source=osdd&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fforum.ecojazda.pl%2Findex.php%2Fstart%2Finmotion%2F628-recenzja-v11-na-szybko

So it looks like a demo from @EUniCycles.eu is in the plans. Sometimes I just live in the wrong country...then sometimes it is just great.

But from a EUC viewpoint I am in a Nevada desert 😒 I really wished I had a local reseller.

I liked the short review.

Edited by VizioN-Scope

14 hours ago, Ddd said:

Thoughts on the v11 as a first wheel?
...won't have to upgrade after a year.

2 hours ago, Zopper said:

Your first wheel will get crashed a lot and the cheaper (and lighter), the less you will be afraid about it (and so you will learn faster).

Agreed. New V11 is a bad value for a new rider.

I recommend $600 67V MTen3 - you'll love it and keep it forever.

If you absolutely cannot stand the idea of having two wheels... grab an 84V MSX and pad it up for crash damage. It's the best value, most reliable, most well-rounded wheel we've seen yet.

1 hour ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Agreed. New V11 is a bad value for a new rider.

I recommend $600 67V MTen3 - you'll love it and keep it forever.

If you absolutely cannot stand the idea of having two wheels... grab an 84V MSX and pad it up for crash damage. It's the best value, most reliable, most well-rounded wheel we've seen yet.

Yeah I agree.  Unfortunately you will destroy your first unicycle.  You will watch in horror as it falls and gets scratched over and over again.  Each time it falls...a little piece of you will die inside.  I started with a V8, and I learned on pavement....with no cover.   It sucks to see something so new and expensive immediately look like it's 5 years old. 

Unfortunately that's just part of learning.  You will fall a few times, and it's a good thing.  You have to learn how to fall or lose balance and try to recover before you should tackle a 55 km/h wheel. 

I would also recommend either getting a used cheap beater, or buying a cheaper new wheel that will eventually become your backup.  I would also recommend always having a backup wheel.  Sometimes shit happens and you just want to go for a rip on a unicycle.  It's nice to always have one functional wheel in the house. 

• Like 2

Not everyone destroys their first wheel, I’ve witnessed several people learning without any major crashing. Besides you can pad it up. If you really would want a learner wheel I’d suggest going second hand, we have enough underpowered wheels laying around to little use as it is.

• Like 1

Longer ramblings on the topic of small learner wheels:

Overall I do like the idea of learning on smaller-ish wheels (mostly for the sake of the wheel, not really because it makes any difference for the learner), but with certain lower bounds which depend on overall rider size (height/weight/shoe size).

• I would argue that the 500w wheels are simply insufficient for most uses except either for a small child or just as a very short-term learner wheel for an adult on the smaller side--if you can find one used for under ~$400, but they're simply not worth the $600+ that they go for new.
    • But for an adult on the smaller side and if you can find one used for a couple hundred bucks, then this is an excellent way to get started. You can beat the hell out of it while learning for a few weeks before upgrading to a proper wheel, and either sell it for basically the same as what you paid for it or else keep it to let your friends try so they don't beat up your shiny next wheel.
  • For larger adults they should probably start with at least an 800-1000W wheel even just to learn, but by which point they're already getting fairly expensive/IMO too expensive for just a short-term learner. The $600 mten3 on ewheels or a used V8 (if found at a similar price/under ~$650) is right on the cusp of workable for this but still fairly expensive for just a short-term learner (and anything bigger gets more expensive quickly), although a lot of fun to keep around as a toy and/or again great for letting others try so they don't beat up your shiny next wheel.
  • If you think you'll be happy at speeds in the low-20s mph or under for at least ~6 months, then something like the V8F or V10 (non-F) for $1100 or a used KS16S (if found at a similar price) can be a solid first wheel for someone's first 6-months-to-a-year at a reasonable price near-enough to $1k and with decent resale. (The forums are full of 'enthusiasts' downplaying this scenario, when statistically it is the most common and thus why these wheels are the best-selling wheels.)
    • V8F is lightest/more portable whereas V10 is bigger with more horsepower but heavier, with the KS16S right in the middle.

Outside of these few scenarios, you're probably best starting with the 'main'/big wheel you want to own and just wrap it in padding and/or learn on grass the first week. (Learning on grass is a bit more difficult but not really and will save the wheel from the worst of the abuse the first few days/week of learning.)

--

Having ridden the V11, I think there is zero reason it should be any more difficult to learn on than any other wheel. All those speculating that the suspension will somehow make wheels worse for learning are literally making things up. I envy someone who would have the opportunity to have a V11 as their first wheel.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, null said:

Not everyone destroys their first wheel, I’ve witnessed several people learning without any major crashing. Besides you can pad it up. If you really would want a learner wheel I’d suggest going second hand, we have enough underpowered wheels laying around to little use as it is.

True not everyone does, but why take the risk on a high end wheel?  I would personally prefer keeping it as close to new condition as possible as an experienced rider.  Not to mention there is also the remote possibility you find out EUCs aren't your thing (which I personally find inconceivable for anyone who actually tries and learns, but you never know).

I guess it boils down to whether you are a hobbyist or looking for a one time purchase.  I kinda knew as soon as I tried the first wheel that I would inevitably have growing mutation of a collection. 

It's like I exposed my V8 to water and it turned into a V10.  Then I fed it after midnight and all hell broke loose.  

• Like 1

I recently put an order in on the v11 and instead of waiting for it to come I purchased an Mten to practice on. Needless to say I pretty much beat it hell. About 2-3 weeks in and a one skate park trip later the pedals are already drooping (I don’t think it was meant for hitting the ramps) and there are scratches all over it.

I feel like I have already out grown it and I wish it would go faster and further, but at the same time I feel like there wasnt an alternative for me. Beat up the first wheel and spend whatever you are comfortable with. I wanted the 16x and V11 but I didn’t want to spend that. I chose the more practical mten and convinced myself my children would at some point want to play with it. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Chaotropic said:

I recently put an order in on the v11 and instead of waiting for it to come I purchased an Mten to practice on. Needless to say I pretty much beat it hell. About 2-3 weeks in and a one skate park trip later the pedals are already drooping (I don’t think it was meant for hitting the ramps) and there are scratches all over it.

I feel like I have already out grown it and I wish it would go faster and further, but at the same time I feel like there wasnt an alternative for me. Beat up the first wheel and spend whatever you are comfortable with. I wanted the 16x and V11 but I didn’t want to spend that. I chose the more practical mten and convinced myself my children would at some point want to play with it. 

Funny, I just did this exact order combo yesterday, figure I can play with the mten3 while I wait on the V11. Drooping pedals doesn't sound good. Can I ask your apprx weight? I'm about 200 lbs but no plans on taking the mten to a skate park, I'll be happy just to learn how to ride by the time the V11 shows up.

22 hours ago, Ddd said:

If you got the cash and reckon you can learn to ride without crashing......go for it.

For any other situations, i wouldn't recommend it. 

As everyone else said, better to get a smaller, cheaperm bangable EUC first.

I learnt on a V5F, got about 1025km on it before i got a V10F.

I think it's great idea, cos i experienced everything on the V5f, cut outs, overlean, low tyre psi, high tyre psi, "high speed" wobble, training my leg muscles, feet endurance, twisty nimble fine controls, the works.

On a smaller wheel, its less power, less speed, less gyroscopic effect so your damage from falls is significantly less dangerous, unlike doing so on a high speed wheel. 

When you progress to a bigger and more powerful EUC, you will be confident on your skills and mastering a bigger wheel will be easy. 

Edited by onizukagto

7 hours ago, AtlasP said:

I would argue that the 500w wheels are simply insufficient for most uses unless either for a small child or just as a very short-term learner wheel for an adult on the smaller side--if you can find one used for under ~$400, but they're simply not worth the $600+ that they go for new.

Actually, a friend began on an old and battered Ninebot S1 (~350W?) he got for $100-$200 I think. It's really weak, yes, but at this cheap price, you can just beat the hell out of it and sell it for the same money - and even your friends that are doubtful they can ride it might decide to give it a try at this price. ;-)

2 hours ago, Shield said:

Anyone know if InMotion is aware of the loose bottom suspension fill valve cap issues? Due, Zen, and Bill (in the comments of the video) have all mentioned that the fill valve cap has been changed to plastic, doesn’t screw on tightly, and is easily lost, leading to potential damage of the shock. Or in Zen’s case, actual damage.