WaveCut

INMOTION V11 (2020)

Kujiroll just posted a picture on facebook, comparing the tyres of V11 (left), S18 (middle), veteran (right). 

FB_IMG_1594012264941.jpg.d03664124e78ab7967562c2c6393fa8a.jpg

But wow, didn't know the V11 had such a beefy tyre! 

Edited by onizukagto

1 hour ago, onizukagto said:

But wow, didn't know the V11 had such a beefy tyre! 

I was like "wow," but then I realised that given the photo quality, I'm visually merging the tire with left side of the V11. Compare it only in the middle, where the red caps are, and cover the upper and lower part with a sheet of paper. Suddenly it is much more comparable to the S18 in width. :-) And as @mrelwood wrote, these are not the final tires.

And when we opened that topic, why have so many EUC tires a non-threaded middle line? I haven't seen it on any other tire. Given the price of these tires, it look that it is intentional and not just a simplification of manufacturing - even way cheaper bicycle tires lack them. @mrelwood? :-) 

Good point about different tyres on the production version. 

Maybe it's just the perspective that seem to make your the veteran and V11 look beefy, even though the S18 will be using the same tyre. 

11 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

The center line in general exists to offer less noise and resistance on paved roads. It is very common on cross country, crossover, and city bicycle tires. Why almost all of the tires in EUC size categories are made that way, I’m not sure. Partially perhaps to help hold the tire profile better as the wide tire wears.

But does it not make the tyre much more dangerous with rain?

Edited by Coco66

1 hour ago, Zopper said:

I was like "wow," but then I realised that given the photo quality, I'm visually merging the tire with left side of the V11. Compare it only in the middle, where the red caps are, and cover the upper and lower part with a sheet of paper. Suddenly it is much more comparable to the S18 in width. :-) And as @mrelwood wrote, these are not the final tires.

I don't think the picture misleads. The H666 is indeed a 'beefy' tire when compared to other 3" tyres. The H666 (fitted) comes up around 2.9" whereas the H5102 is only 2.75". I suspect the H587 on the S18 in the picture is similar in width to the 5102. Despite all of them being sold as 3" wide lol.

2 minutes ago, Coco66 said:

But does it not make the tyre much more dangerous with rain?

Not really. We don't have an issue with aquaplaning at the speeds we do. In fact it's gotta be really deep or really fast even on a motorcycle. The only aquaplaning scares I have had were in cars, never on motorbikes.

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

Not really. We don't have an issue with aquaplaning at the speeds we do. In fact it's gotta be really deep or really fast even on a motorcycle. The only aquaplaning scares I have had were in cars, never on motorbikes.

True! But still, even shoes tend to slip on the wet pavement when they are "slick"...

10 minutes ago, Coco66 said:

True! But still, even shoes tend to slip on the wet pavement when they are "slick"...

A rough tread won’t help that much there - some surfaces are simply worse when wet than the others and in my experience, the hardness or softness of the sole matters way more than the pattern once there is enough of grooves to get the water away.

IOW, I think that once your cross certain threshold, you lose more grip because of less surface than you get because of getting more water out.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation @mrelwood

Edited by Zopper

24 minutes ago, Coco66 said:

Depends on the rubber compound they use. Also, slick centre tread is less likely to puncture because there is no tread pattern to trap sharp stones and no thin tread gaps that are easier to penetrate. More rubber in contact with the road means longer wear and on smooth surfaces also better grip.B)