WaveCut

2 hours ago, TheBladeOfHades said:

I thought I heard it can hit upwards of 5000w peak from one of the interviews 

I wasn't entirely sure if the spec sheet said 3000w but I knew it was more the 2500w. but if they said 5000w, that's mental! talk about overhead.  lol

22 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

When the V11 was introduced, 3000W was stated as the max output power of the controller.

The Q&A in the official thread sounds like even then they thought they can get more of it, just don't know what will they end up it with:

... Like extreme condition, like bumps, climbing hills, the wheel will generate mass power that is much stronger than the rated power 2000w. It might be 3000w, 4000w, 5000w in peak power. In other words, the peak power of V11 is much stronger than V10F.

27 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

My guess is that the increase to 2200W was fueled by Kingsong’s similar increase (which doesn’t seem to have actually increased anything), and IM probably just assessed whether their motor could be called a 2200W one or not.

There was a battery cell upgrade AFAIK which might allow it. It is mentioned several times in this thread and while I can't find an official source, I think it might come from one of Inmotion's chat channels. But we will know for sure only when first wheels hits the road.

5 minutes ago, Zopper said:

There was a battery cell upgrade AFAIK which might allow it.

As I wrote in my post, the battery is a completely separate entity, and doesn’t affect the motor’s power handling capabilities. The nominal power rating of an electric motor tells us nothing about how much power the motor can put out. It only tells us how much power it can handle for an extended period of time. You can have a 2200W motor on a wheel without any batteries, it’s still a 2200W motor. 

19 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

As I wrote in my post, the battery is a completely separate entity, and doesn’t affect the motor’s power handling capabilities. The nominal power rating of an electric motor tells us nothing about how much power the motor can put out. It only tells us how much power it can handle for an extended period of time. You can have a 2200W motor on a wheel without any batteries, it’s still a 2200W motor. 

Yes. But the rating of the wheel is for the whole. So if the controller and motor both can manage more continuous power and it was the battery that kept the rating at 2kW, then the change of battery cells would allow for higher power rating of the wheel.

EDIT: Anyway, I don't think that there would be a part that would be disproportionally different in power rating from the others - that would be wasting money. Even if they plan to do an upgrade down the road, it probably doesn't make sense to pack e.g. a 5kW and 3kW parts together unless the upgrade is coming soon or if the weakest part is also some kind of an emergency fuse (read: intentionally the first thing to break during an overload, easiest and cheapest to replace).

Edited by Zopper

10 minutes ago, Zopper said:

Yes. But the rating of the wheel is for the whole. So if the controller and motor both can manage more continuous power and it was the battery that kept the rating at 2kW, then the change of battery cells would allow for higher power rating of the wheel.

Nope. We’ve never had rating for the whole wheel, on any wheel. Motor’s nominal rating means what the motor can take (continuously), not what it gives. The power coming from the batteries can peak very high and AFAIK Inmotion is the first manufacturer to even speak about controller output (throughput?), which is more important. And the peaks are always higher, it’s the wires and components that can’t handle the current very long.
Unfortunately we don’t have a simple number to compare all the wheels like the kW or hp rating for IC engines. But that’s what everyone is going to do anyway, hence the need for manufacturers to compete on who can announce bigger number for the motor. 

• Like 2

heatpipes in EUC?!  wow!

probably the first I've heard of that, very excited to see how they perform under real world performance and how it'll help towards cooling and waterproofing. 

8 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

I heard that if you can get it up to 88mph, the motor will hit 1.21 gigawatts, and you'll go back in time.

I think I read that on Twitter.

LOL... but I heard it only works for a DeLorean. :laughbounce2:

• Like 1

Suspension questions.

1. Does anyone know if the V11 has a positive and negative air chamber in it's shock system. I am guessing there isn't as the V11 shocks are custom developed by Inmotion.
  2. If there is only a positive air chamber, how will the ride performance differ between whether or not there is a negative chamber? From what I have learned, the negative air chamber affects the suspension recoil feel and sag.

28 minutes ago, chrisdab said:

Suspension questions.

1. Does anyone know if the V11 has a positive and negative air chamber in it's shock system. I am guessing there isn't as the V11 shocks are custom developed by Inmotion.
  2. If there is only a positive air chamber, how will the ride performance differ between whether or not there is a negative chamber? From what I have learned, the negative air chamber affects the suspension recoil feel and sag.

Can't find any info on (1), but to answer (2): the shocks just fill in the negative chamber themselves instead of manually adding it in. You lose the customization of fine tuning both, but it's far easier to design a wheel with access to just one chamber instead of two.

From what people are saying about the production unit on the S18, it's also likely to only have access to the positive chamber instead of both.

2 hours ago, Spook Chaser said:

Can't find any info on (1), but to answer (2): the shocks just fill in the negative chamber themselves instead of manually adding it in. You lose the customization of fine tuning both, but it's far easier to design a wheel with access to just one chamber instead of two.

From what people are saying about the production unit on the S18, it's also likely to only have access to the positive chamber instead of both.

That wasn't really an answer to 2 either, just explaining how a two chamber system with only one adjustment works. How would performance on a one chamber system differ from a two chamber suspension in ride quality?

8 minutes ago, chrisdab said:

That wasn't really an answer to 2 either, just explaining how a two chamber system with only one adjustment works. How would performance on a one chamber system differ from a two chamber suspension in ride quality?

You will know it you test it one day. 

1 hour ago, Flying W said:

Damn, who'd have thought adding suspension would get our hobby in the wall street journal.....time to stock up on fast wheels before they get regulated lol

hmmm in this section, this could be more of a promotional piece.

8 hours ago, chrisdab said:

There is no one chamber system I'm aware of. The difference is 2vs1 valve. In bike world, even when 2 valves give you more options new forks have only 1. Negative chamber is filled/balanced automatically.