Jump to content
WaveCut

INMOTION V11 (2020)

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, B08AH said:

Few things I noticed in Kuji's review. Everything is just my opinion, not going to pretend I am a "suspension expert" of any sort. And  I could miss something of course.

First - it has single-chamber shock vs dual chamber in S18. If you want to make it softer, you also lower its pedals. You might end up with a choice between 1. too stiff and 2. clipping terrain with pedals. And I suspect this will be  more noticeable for heavy 100kg+ riders like me.

I had it with 16 by 2.1 tire - more pressure - it goes too hard on my knees, and also gets all supersensitive even wobbly, less pressure - it snake-bites the rim. No middle ground. 16x3 is a godsend compared to that.

Second drawback of single chamber - there is an uncontrollable expansion effect. When you hit a bump it compresses, and after the bump it expands so hard it launches you a bit. It happens several times in the video. Ladder, big jump, also in actual offroad episode, you can see it if you pay attention. It does not launch that much, can't be seen on individual frames, but it is clearly noticeable in motion (pun intended). And one frame actually does displays this effect(attached).

As for dual chamber shock - one of the chambers expands while compressing the opposite chamber, so it starts fast and then slows down on its way to neutral position.

I did not see that "launch" effect in S18 videos. Kuji's feet are always firmly attached to the pedals.

 

And last, not from this video review, from official answers - shock has proprietary design, so you can't swap it for something better.

 

PS neither of those points should be a dealbreaker flaws. Just had to mention. To balance those overly positive impressions above.

 

launch1.PNG

You might as well point out all the flaws in EUC's without suspension ... those things are now obsolete.:pooping:  ... Ok, maybe not obsolete, but less desirable now.:popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, B08AH said:

I had it with 16 by 2.1 tire - more pressure - it goes too hard on my knees, and also gets all supersensitive even wobbly, less pressure - it snake-bites the rim. No middle ground. 16x3 is a godsend compared to that.

The V11 has an 18 x 3 tire.

If someone has such basic stats wrong, which we've known for absolutely ages with zero question about them, that makes any other conjecture by them extremely suspect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, B08AH said:

Few things I noticed in Kuji's review. Everything is just my opinion, not going to pretend I am a "suspension expert" of any sort. And  I could miss something of course.

First - it has single-chamber shock vs dual chamber in S18. If you want to make it softer, you also lower its pedals. You might end up with a choice between 1. too stiff and 2. clipping terrain with pedals. And I suspect this will be  more noticeable for heavy 100kg+ riders like me.

 

Interesting remark, thanks.

3 hours ago, AtlasP said:

The V11 has an 18 x 3 tire.

If someone has such basic stats wrong, which we've known for absolutely ages with zero question about them, that makes any other conjecture by them extremely suspect.

LoL

I'm sure B08AH knows the tire size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AtlasP said:

The V11 has an 18 x 3 tire.

If someone has such basic stats wrong, which we've known for absolutely ages with zero question about them, that makes any other conjecture by them extremely suspect.

I didn't interpret the comments about 16 inch tires this way... It was just an anecdote about a challenge for heavier riders, and a pondering on whether a similar experience might be seen in adjusting the suspension pressure. Anyways, I had similar observations when I watched the "group ride" video with riders going down stairs on the V11, I could see some of their feet bouncing off the pedals a bit more than others. Probably their suspension pressure was higher.

Really cool that these new suspension wheels took such different approaches, I think they both will be great, for different reasons! InMotion's inspiration from BMW is pretty neat. I really appreciate their attention to detail!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since were back in the topic of judging and comparing the suspensions based on YouTube videos... ;)

On Kuji’s video the suspension doesn’t seem to function nearly as smooth as it does in every other V11 video. It has kept me thinking.

 One explanation could be that he uses more pressure on the suspension from the get go because he doesn’t like the detached feeling that the guys in the other videos were riding with. Or he thinks the ground clearance got too low.

 Another explanation could be in the knees, since the suspension works largely in harmony with the rider’s knees. If the other videos show guys riding calmly with locked knees, all energy from the bumps goes to the suspension. If Kuji rides with soft knees, like any rider anywhere near his skills or riding style has been forced to up until now, his knees react faster to the bumps than the suspension does, making the suspension feel harder than optimal.

 Or the suspension is designed with much easier riding style in mind, making it slow to react for the most fire headed rider in the world that Kuji obviously is.

 Or a direct drive air suspension doesn’t have the same level of progressiveness that a linkage system does, and would bottom out too easily if adjusted to the same comfort level.

 Or any combination of those. In any case, like with anything else EUC, we will definitely hear opposing opinions on which suspension works better. There are just so incredibly many different riding styles, and obviously also ideas of an optimal suspension behavior.

 And before anyone mentions race cars as a proof to trump the last point... EUCs are not race cars. People have differing opinions on what kind of suspension is the most comfortable and what a good quality ride is like on a passenger car. Some think BMW, while I for example dislike the suspension way too much in all BMWs I’ve been in to call it a good quality ride for myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, B08AH said:

And last, not from this video review, from official answers - shock has proprietary design, so you can't swap it for something better.

 

PS neither of those points should be a dealbreaker flaws. Just had to mention. To balance those overly positive impressions above.

It is fine if you don't want to buy the V11. It just means someone else gets to enjoy it. I am pretty sure the V11 will appeal to others.

We all have thing we would like to have in a new wheel and this changes as your ride habit adapt to what is possible to do.

Now the biggest invitation so far the past years is suspension. It solves or helps something's but it is not that it is a mush for all. And yes there are room for improvement too.

Now you might not be excited about this but I sure am and you can not control that at all. 

Now you can argue system wise which is better. But it is has to do with impact on design too. Some like V11 some like S18 and don't like any. Question how this will shift once you ride a wheel and compare it.

But the way I use my current wheels, the V11 is 99% spot on to what I have been missing and yet not giving up too much to get that. The S18 doesn't even come close to that at all. Not on paper and not on what they have said they focused on.

If that is why I come across "as overly positive"# so be it. I am pretty stoked to be in the queue to get a V11. And I expect to be very happy about it. There will be a new thing to learn and that is to how suspension reacts to avoid pedel striking ground. But since I in general don't ride with my head up my a...doing stupid stuff I think it will be all right. 

Now Kuji didn't go too much into which he liked the most but his ride style and how he pushes it he needs padding to do this. IM are looking into solutions. But I general don't grab my wheel and don't do really super hard core non-road rides either. But one thing that has burned into my attention is "it (V11) rides very predictable". 

I would if he had the KS16X  S18 or V10f in mind for that comment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, redfoxdude said:

Really cool that these new suspension wheels took such different approaches, I think they both will be great, for different reasons! InMotion's inspiration from BMW is pretty neat. I really appreciate their attention to detail!

KS had to. Their first system got a court order for change (and a heavy fine) as they copied too much of IMs design. 

As for inspiration I think it is really great that IM are sharing thoughts why and what and to some degree how they achieve things with the V11 choices of design. It will show that they could have chosen differently but they made a choice based on what they want to achieve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, AtlasP said:

The V11 has an 18 x 3 tire.

If someone has such basic stats wrong, which we've known for absolutely ages with zero question about them, that makes any other conjecture by them extremely suspect.

If someone reacts so extremely with a shock absorber comparison between V11 and S18 because someone subjectively falls in favour of the S18 and does not understand a simple example (16 by 2.1 vs.16x3) because of all the emotions, that makes any other conjecture by them extremely suspect.

Calm down, nobody will keep you away from buying a V11!

This eternal fight V11 vs S18 is really cruel.

 

Edited by buell47

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unventor said:

KS had to. Their first system got a court order for change (and a heavy fine) as they copied too much of IMs design.

Is this just anecdotal or is there some actual proof that this really happened?

 

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Since were back in the topic of judging and comparing the suspensions based on YouTube videos... ;)

On Kuji’s video the suspension doesn’t seem to function nearly as smooth as it does in every other V11 video. It has kept me thinking.

 One explanation could be that he uses more pressure on the suspension from the get go because he doesn’t like the detached feeling that the guys in the other videos were riding with. Or he thinks the ground clearance got too low.

The V11 is a great wheel - great lights, great design, decent motor, reasonable range, waterproofing etc. But somehow you don't seem to accept the basic physics that dictates that the suspension won't be as good as the S18. Kuji rode both wheels and his comments in the V11 video were "the shocks feel a little bit choppy", "the suspension works wellish" and "Inmotion's suspension is definitely inferior to a design where the tyre moves independently. It's just not as responsive". You have to remember that the other V11 videos you mention are marketing videos put out by Inmotion. 

Perhaps, most telling was when Kuji came to a kerb. He stopped and lifted the wheel onto the pavement! On the S18 he jumps the wheel over a chain that's suspended about a foot above the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mike_bike_kite said:

Is this just anecdotal or is there some actual proof that this really happened?

It was said briefly on IM WhatsApp channel. But they did't want to go into details. I am pretty sure there are court order transscrpites as prooof, I just don't have this. Nor do I care.

That KS managed to come up with a diffrent system in time to not having V11 alone in market with offering suspention is pretty impressive. How much testing and wear and tear on the system they have been able to do i don't know. _They are like to have some idea thoigh due to the markings shown on their early prototype with golden parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Unventor said:

It was said briefly on IM WhatsApp channel.

LOL - that counts as pretty anecdotal then :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Perhaps, most telling was when Kuji came to a kerb. He stopped and lifted the wheel onto the pavement! On the S18 he jumps the wheel over a chain that's suspended about a foot above the road.

The V11 don't have jump pads (yet, Inmotion has listen and looking into a solution). Kuji has been part of KS S18 design (roumered, I don't know for sure) and why the KS S18 have foot graping area near pedals. So jumping isn't really anything to do with suspenstion. The ability to grab a wheel to force it to do something is going to make a differance going up of curbs ans stairs. 

Now from my personal point, I know that I have misjudged this before (lastly on my KS16X) so I would rather go to the curb and lift it. I guess I am just not hardcore enough. I do know even if a wheel can do things I still need to control and apply it, and that ability I don't have like Kuji. I can't do the things he does. One any wheel. I ride for very different reasons than he does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

LOL - that counts as pretty anecdotal then :)

 

Maybe but IM commented they won the court order they filled. You interpert that any way you like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, stephen said:

I don't do that on any of my wheels 😂😁

Edited 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I ride for very different reasons than he does. 

I always wonder what those reasons are? :confused1:

If I don't choose a car as a means of transport, where I can get from A to B quickly and safely, regardless of the weather, comfortably, with hi-fi sound, enough storage space, without protective clothing, with my wife / child / friends, then riding fun is in the foreground.

When I then ride the EUC as if I was taking my newborn sleeping daughter for a walk in a pram, then somehow no real joy comes up for me. 

Of course, if you don't have a car to choose from, it's something completely different.

Edited by buell47

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw - was anything announced if the V11 will have some new "smart BMS" with single cell monitoring to increase safety?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Btw - was anything announced if the V11 will have some new "smart BMS" with single cell monitoring to increase safety?

In the Q&A part 1 interview, the CEO explains something about what they have done to improve BMS and battery handling and thatt they run a parallel configuration that can function with one pack shutting down. But not stating invidual cell monotoring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2020 at 12:00 PM, B08AH said:

It is 5Ah * 4. With 5Amps charger it can't be less than 4 hours. Realistically it is 4.5h

Just looked their homepage - there is stated "dash charging in 5h with dual port"

On the specification grafik in the Q&A is also written 10h charging time and 5h with dual charger.

The 3.5h seem to be some typing error/miscommunication.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Unventor said:

It is fine if you don't want to buy the V11.

I actually did want to buy it. I was prepared to put up with this excessive weight just to get the only EUC with suspension. 5 days it lasted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, B08AH said:

I actually did want to buy it. I was prepared to put up with this excessive weight just to get the only EUC with suspension. 5 days it lasted.

How is the weight of KS16X working for you then? And I guess the V11 don't have you interest that is not nessary the same as for others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...