WaveCut

19 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

And every single video shows very harsh suspension action with maybe two inches of total travel.

What do you mean by harsh suspension? Isn't it supposed to work like a MTB suspension? If so, I think it looks... fine? (not a mtb expert). The sag, compression, rebound should all be adjustable right?

But anyways, I had high hopes, but was also kind of let down...I was going to trade (sell) my Nikola for an MSP,  but then suspension wheels came into play. Now my hopes is for a Monster Mini with suspension :D

33 minutes ago, davinche said:

What do you mean by harsh suspension? Isn't it supposed to work like a MTB suspension? If so, I think it looks... fine? (not a mtb expert). The sag, compression, rebound should all be adjustable right?

Not directly. There are two adjustments, sensitivity knob and an “on-off” lever, and the exact function of the latter is not clear to me. In addition the shock’s air pressure can be adjusted with a pump to suit riders of different weight. Anything further than that requires a different shock. The V11 has said to have the exact same adjustments.

By “harsh” I mean that the rider’s feet and legs are shaking almost in a way I’d imagine them shaking if riding with a wheel with no suspension at all. The video of the V11 going down the tall curb convinced me, since the rider’s feet transition very smoothly from the higher plane to the lower one. They don’t shake, there are no rapid changes of trajectory. Even the small speed bump makes the 18S airborne, and the rider’s feet shake quite a bit from both the liftoff and the landing. The wheel even seems to continue riding at a different height than before the bump. It just looks like a much more jarring ride than what we’ve seen from the V11 so far.

But, they are both still prototypes, and without direct comparisons there are too many assumptions. In a month it could seem to be the other way around.

33 minutes ago, davinche said:

Now my hopes is for a Monster Mini with suspension :D

I admit, if GW was even rumored coming out with an 18x3.0” wheel with suspension this year, I would probably put my V11 plans on hold. But 20”... man, that’s just too lazy for me.

22 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Not directly. There are two adjustments, sensitivity knob and an “on-off” lever, and the exact function of the latter is not clear to me. In addition the shock’s air pressure can be adjusted with a pump to suit riders of different weight.

I think that's just how these suspensions work. The pump to adjust the sag, the blue lever to adjust how much damping on compression, the red knob for how much damping on rebound. Basically the sensitivity / "hardness" of compressing and rebounding.

Visual differences being apparent, opinion depending on the eyes of the beholder, I'm more surprised by the lack of chatter about the chatter. Not a creak!

Granted the S18 is sporting a prototype shell (with a piece that easily flew off in Kuji's latest video), the ...what would you call it... creaks and chattering could take away from the experience if not remedied. Very curious to see how the V11 sounds ridden hard. I wonder if this will be a common issue with suspension wheels. 

32 minutes ago, buell47 said:

The first places in the category "ugliest EUCs" are already occupied by Gotway. :rolleyes:

overall yes by a good deal.. but the ACM2, tesla, nikola and monster i really like the look of.. everything else theyve ever made i think is ugly lol.. still the 16x is my least favourite looking euc to come out in the last three years 

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FullTilt said:

Visual differences being apparent, opinion depending on the eyes of the beholder, I'm more surprised by the lack of chatter about the chatter. Not a creak!

Granted the S18 is sporting a prototype shell (with a piece that easily flew off in Kuji's latest video), the ...what would you call it... creaks and chattering could take away from the experience if not remedied. Very curious to see how the V11 sounds ridden hard. I wonder if this will be a common issue with suspension wheels. 

I think anything with moving parts is going to have some noise. In offroad conditions i think noise is just a thing on any wheel.. probably a little more so with suspension wheels.. 

The noise wasn't all too bad in the video.. I do expect the v11 to be a little quieter due to the suspension being enclosed.. But i doubt either of these wheels will be as quiet as non-suspension wheels.. 

The other thing, since both of these are adjustable.. i assume you can probably adjust these to near off for a bit quieter experience when not offroad.

All that being said.. i think from the limited footage of both the v11 and s18, its safe to say both models suspensions work.. I dont know where either sides "fans" have the ability to say either one looks better or worse than the other by the limited footage.. They both look to work just fine to me for a $2000 one wheeled vehicle with some shock absorption.

If you want a perfect suspension you will prob need to buy a different vehicle all together.. lets keep in mind these are both the first of their kind.. Dont buy if you are looking for perfect implementation..  

• Like 1

One thing that caught my ear in Kuji's video is the fact that he said the main difference between the V11 suspension and the S18 is that in the S18, the battery, shell and rider are all suspended which leaves the wheel/motor free to bounce up and down underneath all that weight, whereas with the V11 it is the rider that is suspended, but the motor, battery and frame all bounce up and down underneath the rider.  I'm not sure which is better and I'm weighing the pros and cons in my head.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Charles McLean said:

One thing that caught my ear in Kuji's video is the fact that he said the main difference between the V11 suspension and the S18 is that in the S18, the battery, shell and rider are all suspended which leaves the wheel/motor free to bounce up and down underneath all that weight, whereas with the V11 it is the rider that is suspended, but the motor, battery and frame all bounce up and down underneath the rider.  I'm not sure which is better and I'm weighing the pros and cons in my head.

There's a term in car manufacturing called "unsprung weight", and reducing it, greatly increases the car's performance both acceleration and stability-wise... I can explain the math I'm thinking about, that shows why KingSong's iteration of the wheel should, in theory, perform better at tracing the terrain, and carrying/acquiring speed more easily, meaning, using less battery, and putting less stress on the motor itself.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RagingGrandpa said:

No, that missed the point- the effects you mention come from making the rotating masses lighter.

Like all EUC's, both the S18 and V11 are burdened with a heavy hub motor- their suspensions won't provide any benefits in rotational inertia.

I'm a bit rusty on my mechanical physics, but, as you stated, rotating mass has the hugest impact on those matters, but unsprung mass has an affect also, IIRC. Theory behind it being, that the "sprunged" mass is travelling on a "cushion" and thus not always pressuring the lower moving part of the mechanism. This reduces the stress of the said unsprung mechanism, making it easier for it to react moving up/down (because it's lighter) and thus tracing the terrain better, which, in turn, improves both traction and transference of both speed and breaking... 

I don't actually recall the formulas or the exact way percentages were calculated, but in my defense, it's been 12 years since the last time I was involved in such calculations or lessons :D

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Yet people get their giggles about the latter. What’s going on here?!

"Ooh it looks like a ducati/sport bike"

Thats what.

Put the engine / drive train of a Suzuki samurai in the body of a Porsche Cayenne and sell it for the same price as a Toyota fj cruiser and watch more people by the Porsche

• Like 2

Maybe the V11 will be better at keeping the rider in contact with the pedals and it may also be less likely to bottom out the suspension on larger hits. We will see soon enough.

Unsprung mass is not all bad. It brakes down to percentages. If the rider is 180 pounds and the wheel is 60 pounds with 40- 45 ponds unsprung, bringing us to about  25% unsprung weight.  That is not too bad.  In my case closer to 20% 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

My wife doesn’t moan.... she throws stuff!:cry2:

I did change my order from the V11 to the S18. Jason was extremely professional as always. 

It's funny. The first question I asked when I pre ordered.. was if I change my mind will it be a problem... And as you just said... Customer service was extremely accommodating. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Unventor said:

think you will regret this big time. Really I do.

You mean my wife will divorce me?  :confused1:

I ride a Susuki Dr 200 with a similar suspension system as the S18. It performs flawlessly. The mechanical linkage looks solid along with the ability to swap out the shocks also caught my attention.

I may be wrong. If the upcoming S18 reviews are stacked with negatives outweighing positives and the V11 is more favorable I could possibly change my order. Hopefully there will be a comparative review by Kuji in the coming weeks. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

You mean my wife will divorce me?  :confused1:

The lady that cut my wife's hair said that she know the girl that bags your wife's grocery's. I think she is her uncles sister-in-law's best friend from college   .... Well! .. Yesterday , my wife was getting her hair cut in the black market underground hair salon and was reading your post while trying to catch me saying something bad about her . ... because that is what men supposedly do.    aaaand the hair dresser read your post about buying a new wheel over her shoulder  ..... I just wanted you to know that it wasn't my wife's fault. .................Sorry Man!  

• Like 2