WaveCut

5 hours ago, FullTilt said:

I'm appreciative of the possibility that the suspension system might be proprietary (rather than involving aftermarket parts).

Nothing wrong with aftermarket parts if they match the application well. No need to reinvent the wheel (there might be a pun in there somewhere).

6 hours ago, FullTilt said:

30mph: "Both have the same top speed, I'll go with the lighter one" ---> 35mph: "It's heavier, but it can go faster!"

That's a really good point! In the end, people always look at speed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave Wood said:

Inmotion purposely restrict their wheels that that reason so there's plenty of backup power for bumps, potholes, so you CAN cruise around the top speed safety, or atleast that's how my V10 works.. upping the top speed would REMOVE that safety blanket.

i really prefer the mandatory tiltback of KS and IM... yes the gotway speed is lovely once in a while but for 99% of the time for 99% of riders you DO NOT need that speed and i dont want to be out listening for beeps all the time monitoring my speed.. i want to know that i can go as fast as it will go all the time and not have to worry about it, i can put on headphones and relax.. i do wish it was higher than 50 kph yes.. which obviously isnt changing soon, so gotway will always be there for that once in a while need for speed lol. from a sales position, it would be a bad decision.. hence why both KS and IM sell way more wheels than gotway.. id be willing to bet that the V8 alone sold more units than every gotway wheel that came out after it

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 2

Calling for the electronics and battery gurus on the forum: @Chriull and others

Could this theoretical V11F be made? Just a redesign of the side covers to house a small bump for 10 cells per side and make it a 20s5p ~1850Wh battery?

V11-2.1-Modified.jpeg

V11F.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

In principle, it would work. It's just 20 extra cells.

But it would be a wiring mess, as all four 5-packs would need to be connected to one BMS. Probably the worst way to add 20 cells;) Having two 10-packs or one 20-pack somewhere would be easier.

Looking at the design and the way batteries are distributed, there doesn't seem to be an elegant way of adding 20 more cells without making it asymmetrical and ruining the looks. I guess it's a lost hope. We will most likely never see a V11F version. 2x10 pack would fit easily without compromising ergonomics or functions, but I doubt they'd make only half of the panels bigger. It's a shame, it could so easily be the ultimate wheel right now. Every prominent YouTuber and pro rider would be promoting it. 

• Like 3

There are 2 way to increase the battery capacity, adding more cells, up to Inmotion/KS/GotWay,
or using better cells, up to Panasonic/LG/Samsung...

The V11F might come with new cells yet to come ?
In that case, swapping the battery also works ;)

24 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Could this theoretical V11F be made? Just a redesign of the side covers to house a small bump for 10 cells per side and make it a 20s5p ~1850Wh battery?

My thoughts exactly! :D Since I will be using some kind of lean pads front and back, the (unsuspended) battery protrusions need to be carefully positioned, but it is something I sure might be planning on doing myself. After checking my real life range of course.

The V11 introduction did mention a special smart BMS being used, so there are a few things that needs to be checked first though.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

So can someone please explain this så I simply can't see any safety in raising to 35mph on the same construction.

To think this gives more headroom for safety sound like a failure of how the wherel works. I try to explain this way. Let's day at 30mph your wheel is at 85% of max torque it can do. You hit a bump or pot hole you have a safety margin from manufactor og 15% to maintain balance of a rider up to 120kg.keep in mind you cannot peak over 100% as then the wherl can't keep balance.

If you raise to 35mph and change nothing else.you might be at 95% of the performance. Keep in mind the energy is so much higher to raise 5mph the faster you go as energy increase isn't linear 1 to 1 with speed. 

So how someone can claim it is safer to raise top speed allowed is simply beyond me. 

Please do not turn this into another KS16X faceplant trap for a few extra mph. 

Respect that manufactor that don't have speed as first priority should not change their safety history and ruin their band value. 

If you want speed just buy GW and ride them. Because if speed gives you safety, they are the only true brand yo consider for YOU.

I think people soon will adapt to a ride style being even more aggressive when they don't have their teeth rattling at every pot hole. Suspension will remove some feel of the road and add the risk of peaks the wheel needs to be able to handle you didn't feel.

I do not have high top speed as priority. 50kmh is more that enough as I ride at 30-35kmh in general. But if people start face planting I will feel the adjustment IM will have to make to a void people hurting themself and their surroundings with a 27kg tumbling rogue wheel. 

They have had this in development for 2 years+. 

Despite this keep in mind that with new features, mechanics and electronics in a wheel comes also 1st batch issues when the wheel hit the public use and are not nursed inside what brand know to keep it at. 

If you wait out to buy suspension wheel be prepared to accept 1st batch issues. If you don't you are like to be disappointed and you really can only blame yourself as none forced you to buy 1st batch. 

I have done this twice. Twice I had issues requiring service a d even major service (several times too).

Now I seem to have settled on V11 solution as the better build as many of the point I have been asking for is in their solution.

I were planning to wait a bit but next week I know if I couldn't resist the feature of suspension. It depends if I managed to secure my order or not. 

While I understand what you're trying to illustrate in your example, that is not what I'm referring to. The more accurate thing I would want is 35mph "at 85% of max torque".

In other words: The ideal wheel for me would have been one where the manufacturer includes 35mph as a speed within their safety window. So yes, you may be right, under the same construction that may be impossible.

1 hour ago, Dave Wood said:

Inmotion purposely restrict their wheels for that reason so there's plenty of backup power for bumps, potholes, so you CAN cruise around the top speed safety, or atleast that's how my V10 works.. upping the top speed would REMOVE that safety blanket.

I have a V8, and the claimed max top speed is 20mph, but I hit tiltback at around 16 or 17. Hence my dream of a 35mph top speed wheel means I can cruise at 30 without tiltback.

Edited by davinche
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Looking at the design and the way batteries are distributed, there doesn't seem to be an elegant way of adding 20 more cells without making it asymmetrical and ruining the looks. I guess it's a lost hope. We will most likely never see a V11F version.

There's the obvious and equally simple solution. Redesign side panels (add bumps), make it two layers of batteries instead of one, 2*1420Wh = 2840Wh, boom! V11Xtreme or something!

Too bad it's too awesome to be realistic:cry2:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, UniVehje said:

Two posts above already addressed this but I thought to give another angle. I think you are understanding that headroom a bit wrong. You kind of have that headroom you want already built in to the V11, even more if you are a light rider. The max speed of 50 km/h doesn't mean it could not go faster if the mandatory tilt back was removed. The headroom is there, you just cannot access it. The extra power is there for potholes or bumps. On Gotways the highest tilt back you can set is 48 km/h. If you want to go faster you have to remove all the safety features and rely on hearing the warning beeps. You reach the higher speeds by eating up the safety margin. 

It's a completely different discussion to debate a theoretical max speed (with mandatory tilt back removed) of the V11 vs. a Gotway. It would of course be a matter of weight, wind, road surface etc. But what you are asking is less headroom for the v11. Of course I understand your need to keep up with the traffic also. But for that you have to accept less safety margin then. It's a fair debate to have, don't get me wrong. I do respect the approach Gotway and Gotway fans have, let the rider decide. 

I think I meant what i said when I said headroom. That is: with all things the same except for a higher top max speed - that is what I desire.

IE: if inmotion designed the wheel (without sacrificing the safety margins they have already) such that the top max speed is 35mph, that would have been great for me personally.

Again, I already acknowledged that "with the current construction" that may not be possible.

1 hour ago, Rywokast said:

i really prefer the mandatory tiltback of KS and IM... yes the gotway speed is lovely once in a while but for 99% of the time for 99% of riders you DO NOT need that speed and i dont want to be out listening for beeps all the time monitoring my speed.. i want to know that i can go as fast as it will go all the time and not have to worry about it, i can put on headphones and relax.. i do wish it was higher than 50 kph yes.. which obviously isnt changing soon, so gotway will always be there for that once in a while need for speed lol. from a sales position, it would be a bad decision.. hence why both KS and IM sell way more wheels than gotway.. id be willing to bet that the V8 alone sold more units than every gotway wheel that came out after it

Is that true? I don’t own an IM. Are they really better than Gotway? I am strongly considering getting the V 11 as my first IM but 31 mph being the maximum speed has got me bummed out a little. 

3 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Is that true? I don’t own an IM.

Afair i already read here about the V8 sales figures were (are?) really awesame. Seem they found a nice mixture of a good price, low weight and "still some performance". Also some times they had greatly pushing sales activities with partners like gearbest, etc... And solowheel is distributing it as ?glide 3?...

Are they really better than Gotway?

The answer should mainly depend on your priorities :ph34r::D

I am strongly considering getting the V 11 as my first IM but 31 mph being the maximum speed has got me bummed out a little. 

... if this >31 mph is it, seems that gw is the only wheel for you... No competitor available... :(

4 minutes ago, stephen said:

After looking at both suspension models I'm favouring the v11 I like the look and the more WH  battery , 31mph is enough for me, my 16x is my best wheel so far  the speed is just right for my suburban rides , time will tell and waiting for reviews and more videos etc😁

yes we really need a lot of unbiased reviews from different people.. different weights, ride styles, terrain.. marketing videos never tell the whole story.. plus I'm very curious about how suspension affects range, if at all... clearly it's a heavier wheel I mean it's like 7 lbs more than the 18XL so I wonder.. but with a weight like that they are probably using some really quality components and extra safety measures.. everyone knows the larger batteries are usually the heaviest part so I'm very curious to see inside the shell as to where all that weight is

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

well depends how you define better.. but the build quality and engineering of inmotion wheels is not even comparable to gotway.. if you open a gw wheel they look like some random guy did an experiment in his basement.. board has junk all over it, wiring is a total rats nest.. outward the plastic creeks and is flimsy and brittle, even the screws are cheap af and often rust, strip, or break their posts.. (IM has been using "metal screws" as GW puts it,, hex bolts with threaded inserts since as far back as I know), the pedals are often slightly different from one another (angle) and flop about, padding usually sucks ass as do the overall ergonomics, trolley handles on everything but the nikola are trash, however on the nikola the actual handle to lift it is trash.. their pedal arm system is terrible and can need periodic tightening of axle nuts or replacing of poorly cut shims.. and besides the very latest wheels they lack any sort of water resistance whatsoever with the newest models doing with a gasket around the side panels, but there are still other places for water and dirt to get in.. firmware cannot be upgraded if you get a bad board youre SOL, buy a new one.. and there are no fuses so you can just fry the board if you push it too hard, see overheat hill.. you see where I'm going? haha,, people buy gotway for one reason and one reason only, performance. gw pushes the envelope way further than anyone else is willing to go and they fill a niche with the fastest wheel, the biggest wheel, the smallest wheel, the biggest battery size etc and pump out new models like crazy... inmotion wheels are extremely well crafted and well thought out, tried and tested by true engineers and inmotion wheels have a massive financial backing, way more than KS and GW combined.. don't take this as gotway bashing, those are just facts and every owner myself included of a gotway wheel knows this.. but once again, they offer things that other companies don't even want to go near lol, so if you want it, you have no other choice.. that includes the speed, I don't see IM ever offering something faster, at least they claim not to want to,, time will tell.. same with KS, it basically took the collective of everyone interested and multiple dealers just to elbow them into making the 16X go 50.. they never wanted to, they pushed past their preferred safety margin even with their rush to get a new motor, still heavier riders or people who push it really hard can overpower it, it probably should have been 45 kph, they do not design around max speed.. KS is leaps ahead in terms of quality and fit and finish compared to GW.. but even still IM easily takes the cake

You guys are freaking awesome. Thank you so much. I’ll never have the time to be in depth like you guys but it’s nice to know I can always come here and get my questions answered and get the help I need. I really appreciate all of you very much for that.

• Like 3

Can someone explain the 1420Wh number of the V11 (instead of 1480Wh)?

80 cells * 3.7V per cell * 5000mAh cells = 1480Wh.

You can go by 4800mAh per cell (with 3.7V) to get to 1420, or by 3.55V nominal per cell (with 5000mAh) to get to 1420. Is it one of those options? Something else?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

I don't think most reviewers are unbiased. It is same as car magazines. They review out of their priorities. This is why GW got so good reviews as there seems to be a craving for speed.

i just meant as in they dont work for inmotion haha.. of course everyone has a bias but thats why you want to see many reviews from all different people :) yes getting integrated will unfortunately take many years though... we should all be like new york haha i wish PEVs were as prevalent here.. but then again traffic there is much slower and more congested so PEVs make a lot more sense and they get seen a lot more every day.. and yea im guilty of that lol i often wear all black, in fact i dont own anything that isnt either black or grey xD

I grew up in a city in late 90's. You wore black so that you werent seen.(no lights or reflectors on bikes, no reflective clothing.. stay unseen and out of the way) Being seen made us a target, being unseen and 100% defensive in nature was the better method. Times have changed tho, LOTS more people and cars and leo harassment going on regardless. NOW you gotta dress like a construction worker, or you're considered a crook. I assume people dont see me no matter what I wear. Usually I wish they hadnt. Actually the style now is to look like a paratrooper or batman. Yup, you are seen and immediately assumed dangerous and intimidating. GOod news tho... the inno styling falls in line with batman/paratrooper! lol

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2