What do we call ourselves?

ZenRyder

Collective Noun for Electric Unicycles  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call a group of people riding Electric Unicycles?

• Fleet
    • Crew
    • Swarm
    • Herd
    • Band
    • Horde
    • Team

17 minutes ago, ZenRyder said:

Although there are similar self-balancing characteristics, comparing these two things is like apples and oranges. In practicality, they are very different and I think the association may cause almost as much confusion versus providing an explanation. I personally don't think of an eWheel (EUC) as a very close relation to a Segway in terms of current usability. However, the Segway certainly paved the way in early technology and acceptance. But it's now your Grandfather's device and not one that young people have much appreciation for.

I don't mean direct comparison, but rather refering to this phenomenon when a brand name becomes a normal word denoting some principle. For example, "xerox machine" nowadays means any photocopier (even made by Canon, HP, etc., not Xerox Corp.); "google for ..." means search the web using any search engine; etc. Segway in this context is a PEV that uses gyro sensor to self-balance and throttle. EUC is a member of "segway family" of PEVs that self-balance; one of segways, with one wheel and no handlebar - segwheel.

19 minutes ago, Cory Brown said:

I personally am not a fan of coining a word from a brand name. I have a few friends that refer to their wheels as bots (I assume short for Ninebot) and it slightly bothers me.

There are no brands/manufacturers called eWheels. The only major brands are KingSong, Gotway, and InMotion/IPS(?). Segway has or plans to exit. 

eWheels is a US distributor name not a brand, so I don't see a problem with calling them eWheels. You can buy an eWheel from a US distributor called eWheels or several others. You can import them directly from manufacturers. You can also buy them from private owners. There are a lot of options. All with some pros and cons. The name of one US distributor shouldn't have a lot of bearing on what we call the sport/device.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZenRyder said:

There are no brands/manufacturers called eWheels. The only major brands are KingSong, Gotway, and InMotion/IPS(?). Segway has or plans to exit. 

eWheels is a US distributor name not a brand, so I don't see a problem with calling them eWheels. You can buy an eWheel from a US distributor called eWheels or several others. You can import them directly from manufacturers. You can also buy them from private owners. There are a lot of options. All with some pros and cons. The name of one US distributor shouldn't have a lot of bearing on what we call the sport/device.

I was referring to Segwheel. I don't really mind eWheel. Probably should have quoted or clarified.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Aneta said:

I don't mean direct comparison, but rather refering to this phenomenon when a brand name becomes a normal word denoting some principle. For example, "xerox machine" nowadays means any photocopier (even made by Canon, HP, etc., not Xerox Corp.); "google for ..." means search the web using any search engine; etc. Segway in this context is a PEV that uses gyro sensor to self-balance and throttle. EUC is a member of "segway family" of PEVs that self-balance; one of segways, with one wheel and no handlebar - segwheel.

An eWheel is the next generation and the leading edge of several now popular PEVs. IMHO it shouldn't be shackled with the "seg" prefix. Respect @Aneta, but must agree to disagree.

10 minutes ago, ZenRyder said:

IMHO it shouldn't be shackled with the "seg" prefix.

I agree, I don't dislike the Segway brand name. However they no longer make EUCs as Ninebot. - They abandoned us. :furious:

The term wheel or EUC works for me. If and when they become more popular people will know what you are talking about. The word Wheel is singular. That is a hint.

-  Hay man! come see my new wheel!

- Ha! It only has one wheel. You mean wheels. 

-  No! Just one!

30 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Who uses a different search engine then google ?!

People in many countries other than USA, because the language/culture/country-specific search engines work better there than Google.

1 hour ago, ZenRyder said:

An eWheel is the next generation and the leading edge of several now popular PEVs. IMHO it shouldn't be shackled with the "seg" prefix. Respect @Aneta, but must agree to disagree.

Maybe. But I'll use "segwheel" for a while to get the feel of it, and use it when asked by bystanders - it's an experiment, with unknown outcome. I encourage anyone to do the same, with your favorite term, then report back here in a few weeks. It should be interesting.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Who uses a different search engine then google ?!

I haven’t used the Google search engine in over 10 years. They kept trying to sell me things that I had already purchased and would not show me things that I knew existed. (Just like YouTube) It was like using the Amazon search bar to find things on the World Wide Web.  :furious: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZenRyder said:

My friend @Flyboy10 said he hit 42 mph coming home from church last week. 

First, that is what the EUC World app reported. Not sure if a GPS would say the same. I'll have to do a "live" ride next time. After riding my 100v MSX, my 18xl feels like my 14s and my 14s feels like an airwheel. 

Second, not everyone (and one a few wheels) can go 40 mph so having it on a chart for general purpose interpretation probably isn't the best comparative speed. People generally ride around 25 mph or less. A lot of people don't have fast wheels either.

Edited by Flyboy10

20 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

Second, not everyone (and one a few wheels) can go 40 mph so having it on a chart for general purpose interpretation probably isn't the best comparative speed. 

Oh, right. I meant for the chart to say max speed. :blink:

Certainly not average speed. The point was that the Segway top speed is no where near the eWheel top speed. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RockyTop said:

Yes, They are usually asking to look them up on line and YouTube. I say the following. - “You can find them online and on YouTube. Just look up EUC, Eclectic Unicycle, GotWay, KingSong, @Duf or Chooch. 

I can't believe I hadn't noticed this before... :roflmao:

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Yeah? .... Sure!.... They are eclectic. I meant to say that. :whistling:  

:roflmao:

If you're telling people to google "eclectic unicycle", this is likely what will come up: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Santoro-Eclectic-Cards-Giraffe-Unicycle/dp/B06XY5C438 :efee612b4b:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, travsformation said:

:roflmao:

If you're telling people to google "eclectic unicycle", this is likely what will come up: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Santoro-Eclectic-Cards-Giraffe-Unicycle/dp/B06XY5C438 :efee612b4b:

Exactly, You find a picture of me riding a unicycle. :rolleyes:  .....except, I can’t juggle. :angry:

• Like 1

Electric unicycle sounds like an impractical toy, or just uncool in general. EUC doesn't roll off the tongue and always has to be repeated followed by the explanation of the acronym.

I don't even tell people what it is called anymore, I tell them to go to ewheels dot com.

I call it my "wheel" amongst friends and family. "Group" ride works for me. Keep it simple.🙂

• Like 1