Help pick a new wheel

CGPro856

I am going to buy my first euc. I'm 6'4" 230lb and a OneWheel XR rider.  I love the look and specs of the 16X but am concerned about water resistance and the firmware issues I've read about.  The V10F sounds like a good deal right now but it's a thinner tire and a smaller battery.  The Nikola is big and expensive and I dont love the look.  The 18XL has a thinner tire too and is also more expensive.  

What should I buy?

Chris P

• Like 1

Z10 if you can find one from a legit dealer incase of board issues. It has a smaller battery than the current lineup but it's seems proven from most EU vlogs ive seen.  The z10 was my first choice but I didn't want to deal with shady 3rd party dealers since ninebot will deny warranty if it ain't bought from through a authorized retailer.

7 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Z10 is a bit of a marginal wheel, and quite a few users have developed nasty battery/BMS issues in 6 months.

True true, had been following up and ninebots response that they will honor repairs as longs it's a ninebot dealer.  The teardown of the wheel itself is amazing, clean wiring layout and the rubber gasket-seal between the casing covers shows a well thought out compact design.

2 hours ago, giggidditygiggiddity said:

True true, had been following up and ninebots response that they will honor repairs as longs it's a ninebot dealer.

Which are very rare, since the dealers have opted out themselves due to Ninebot being very difficult and unfair to deal with, especially when it comes to repairs.

2 hours ago, giggidditygiggiddity said:

The teardown of the wheel itself is amazing, clean wiring layout and the rubber gasket-seal between the casing covers shows a well thought out compact design.

I absolutely agree, it’s a pure work of art next to all other EUCs. Maybe after six months one can open it up and hang it on the wall so the busted wheel would still be worth something... :P

I’m kidding of course. While the BMS issue seems to be the most common on the Z10, most units have not shown an issue. What makes it difficult for me to recommend as the first wheel is the two-faced (slow and fast) one of a kind riding mechanics that require re-learning even from seasoned pros.

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Z10 is a bit of a marginal wheel, and quite a few users have developed nasty battery/BMS issues in 6 months. I can’t recommend the Z10 unless you’re certain your mind wouldn’t be at rest with any other wheel.

If KS will fix the weatherproofing and firmware/power issues on the 16X, it is going to be an easy recommendation for most people. But as it is ATM, perhaps best to wait.

18XL, MSX and to some extent the Nikola are the proven choices at the moment. 18XL V2 is the best complete package with unparallelled range and comfort, MSX is a no-bullshit raw powerhouse with a questionable comfort, and the Nikola is a much more trolleyable and a slightly peppier version of the MSX with some minor questionable design points. V10F is a nice ride but doesn’t reach the speed, performance and range of others mentioned. Wether the new pedals fixed the tendency to crack is still unknown, so with your weight I’d be careful. Others than the MSX seem to have somewhat passable weather proofing.

Every wheel has it’s drawbacks, you just have to choose which are the ones you can live with. Fe. do you carry or trolley the wheel daily, will you eventually be riding hard, etc.

Great advice.   :D   

@CGPro856 At your size  you need to stay away from InMotion.  They are designed for people that weigh 120 pounds. and are mostly useless for people over 180 pounds. 

8 hours ago, CGPro856 said:

Thank you! My size does make a difference and "mostly useless" is not at all what I'm looking for.  I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 84V 1554Wh 18XL today.  If I can learn to ride it without breaking myself, I'm sure it will serve my needs for quite a while.  

Good choice. Better then 16X.

12 hours ago, CGPro856 said:

Thank you! My size does make a difference and "mostly useless" is not at all what I'm looking for.  I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 84V 1554Wh 18XL today.  If I can learn to ride it without breaking myself, I'm sure it will serve my needs for quite a while.  

Great choice!   I think that the 18XL is the best all around wheel.  

Gotway 100V (Monster, MSX, Nikola). No other wheel is worth your time or money. That pseudo 31 mph limit is going to get old real fast.  

This coming from a kingsong owner. 

Edited by Ben Kim

14 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Gotway 100V (Monster, MSX, Nikola). No other wheel is worth your time or money. That pseudo 31 mph limit is going to get old real fast.  

This coming from a kingsong owner. 

18XL is overall the best choice currently available for a 200-220lbs rider.

This coming from a Gotway MSX daily rider.

I consider myself a relatively aggressive and fast rider, but I extremely rarely exceed 30mph. Some people will, but I’m pretty sure that most riders don’t.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

18XL is overall the best choice currently available for a 200-220lbs rider.

This coming from a Gotway MSX daily rider.

I consider myself a relatively aggressive and fast rider, but I extremely rarely exceed 30mph. Some people will, but I’m pretty sure that most riders don’t.

I'm loving the support for my choice here.  I spent a lot of time doing research and listened to a lot of people to come to the choice of the 18XL.  I'm over 50 and really hate to crash.  I very strongly doubt that I will ever feel the need to exceed 25mph but the extra safety margin will give me piece of mind.  Unlike riding around at 17-18 on my onewheel knowing that I'm well into pushback and a bump or dip could mean instant nosedive.  

PS Hopefully Kingsong fixes the app soon.  I dont even have a wheel yet but I downloded the app to check it out and now i get the app has stopped notices 20+ times a day.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CGPro856 said:

PS Hopefully Kingsong fixes the app soon.  I dont even have a wheel yet but I downloded the app to check it out and now i get the app has stopped notices 20+ times a day.  

I really hate using the app.  I'll use EUC World or Wheelog if I can.  If I do use the KS app, as soon as I finish, I'll go to my apps, and Force Stop it.  I find that it stops the notices.

12 hours ago, CGPro856 said:

In the past you only needed the KingSong app to unlock your wheel and set the light patterns. After that you could use several other apps. 

I have not tested the DarknessBot (iPhone app) on my Kingsong wheels lately. The app is supposed to make the KingSong app obsolete now. You can now use it to set your speeds and more. I am not sure just how much more it will do. I do know that I have not used the KingSong app after unlocking my wheel. 

I am also a GotWay fan and agree that the 18XL is the best wheel on the market. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy my MSX for speed and I prefer the harder pedals. The XL gives a better ride and is better quality.   ( race car vs luxury sport) 

• Like 2