Early Christmas present, which wheel to get

Tazarinho

So this morning, for the first time since commuting on my wheel, I didn’t make it to work on a full charge. I had to walk the whole of 500m! :D And yes, maybe it’s getting colder, and maybe there was a lot of wind, and maybe my backpack was a little heavier today and maybe I’m running on low PSI for the wintery conditions.  But still, it will get colder, there might be more wind, I might gain weight or carry more gear! I’ve been mulling over it for a while now, and with Black Friday coming up and me getting my End of Year-bonus in about two weeks, I’ve decided to give myself an early Christmas gift. I just haven’t entirely made my mind up about which one yet.

I love my V8 to death. It feels like an extension of myself, but I can’t get enough range out of it and I’m a bit heavy for its limited power.

What do I use it for:
EUC is my primary means of transportation. If the distance allows it, and I don’t need to lug stuff around that’s extremely bulky or heavy, I’ll be taking my EUC. I’ve been spotted carrying stuff like 30kg shopping bag, a crate of wine, a 12 foot curtain pole or a mattress (not recommended with even the slightest of wind) on my wheel. I’ve done more miles on my wheel than driving my car, since I got it in May.

Daily commute is about 20 km on very mixed terrain. In the weekends I love to ride off-road trails if the weather permits.

What do I find important:

Range: Ideally more than 50km, 100km would be a dream.

Weather: Belgium is traditionally one of the rainiest countries, not quite Bergen or the Aleutians, but I will need to ride through light or moderate rain on a regular basis.

Power: I weigh 95 kg and usually carry a backpack.

Trolley handle: I use the trolley handle a lot when shopping, or when entering the office building. I tend to carry it if it’s wet though, as I don’t want the cleaning staff to suffer at my hands.

Speed: Not a speed freak, legal riding speed in Belgium is 25 km/h anyway.

Handling: Not a fan of the gyro effect. Nimbler is better for the more challenging off-roading

Weight: I do carry my wheel up on a couple of flights of stairs daily, though I don’t have to, I could take the elevator. I don’t think any of the current wheels would be an issue, as long as the handle can take it. Not all of my weight is excess weight. ;)

Price: I can’t deny that this is a factor. Let’s say that if I decide to buy a top-end wheel now. I don’t suspect I will be able to buy another one for a few years.

Looks: I prefer a nice looking wheel, although this is a completely subjective matter.

Which wheels am I considering:

GotWay

ACM: If their website is still up to date there would be a 1300wh ACM for sale in the neighbourhood. Haven’t heard anything bad about it, but I find the look hideous! Price per wh it’s probably the best deal.

Monster: Seems too large and unwieldy for trail-riding, also most expensive wheel on the list.

MSX: Seems like a really solid wheel and a good off-roader, not a fan of the look though and a bit worried about the V-shaped pedals and the lack of comfort on long rides.

Nikola: I like the look of the black Nikola but I’m worried I wouldn’t like it’s ‘wide’ feel. With the V8 my calves hardly even touch the wheel unless I ride barefoot.

KingSong

16X: I’m very tempted by this wheel but worried about its poor water and dirt-resistance. Also it seems like it’s got trouble harnessing it’s power. It seems like having a ferocious animal as a pet, a great thrill for most of the time and then one day it attacks you out of nowhere.

18XL: Seems like a very good wheel and quite nimble for its size thanks to the 2.5 inch tire. Only downside seems to be the whining sound it makes. Also one of the pricier wheels.

Inmotion

V10F: Only reason this wheel is on the list is because it ticks all the boxes except one and reminds me a lot of the V8. It’s supposed to be a very smooth ride with decent weatherproofness. But I’d probably only get an extra 10km out of it. This would be enough for my commute though and would cost me a 1000 bucks less than most of the others. If I do get a V10F, it ‘d probably be to get a year out of it and then upgrade to something new.

Note that I haven’t discussed different versions (84V vs 100V and different wh options, simply because there are too many too list (all of them would be an upgrade for me anyway)

Sorry for such a long read. If you guys have an opinion or think about something I might not have considered, please chip-in and bear in mind that my opinions might just be subjective. J

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tazarinho said:

MSX: ...

Nikola: ...

18XL: ...

These seem to be the best choices for long range wheels. Also no real problems reported by now.

Range: Ideally more than 50km, 100km would be a dream

And they have some nice high capacity battery pack options!

Like the nikola 100V 2664Wh version with a great smart BMS!

Or even >3000Wh options are offered!

Weather: Belgium is traditionally one of the rainiest countries, not quite Bergen or the Aleutians, but I will need to ride through light or moderate rain on a regular basis.

You should consider making some DIY weatherproofing. None of the wheels are really water/weatherproof, although many/some withstood rainrides one should not really rely on this?!

V10F

Could be the cheaper, prudent option...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arbolest said:

Based on the well-thought-out description you've given us above, I can honestly say that you would probably be happiest with either a Kingsong 18L/XL or the Inmotion V10/F. If you are concerned more about price, go with the Inmotion.

That said, I notice that you've left the Gotway Tesla off the list, and that seems odd considering that you have an ACM on there! In terms of the Gotways, I think the Tesla is still the best value for money that you will be able to find, and even though the shape is completely different from a nice sleek V8, the Tesla should tick all the rest of your boxes except perhaps for the max range (still a massive improvement over the V8). 

I have bought myself 3 Gotways, and think they are all fabulous machines - no regrets at all. I have never even considered buying myself a wheel from a different brand. However, based on what you've said here, aside from the Tesla I can't honestly see a reason to recommend one of the higher-end Gotways over any of your other options.

Thank you for your reply!

Indeed, I left the Tesla off the list, because it's partly based on availability and price in the region. It seems like the V10F has a similar battery size, I prefer the look  and I can get a better deal on it. But otherwise it would definitely be up there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

These seem to be the best choices for long range wheels. Also no real problems reported by now.

Thank you for your insights! Yes, often those least discussed in the forums have the least problems. :)
On the other hand that might be because of statistics. Maybe the other wheelsare just more frequently bought and/or more recent.

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

You should consider making some DIY weatherproofing. None of the wheels are really water/weatherproof, although many/some withstood rainrides one should not really rely on this?!

I've considered this but I'm not sure how to go about it. Apply a layer to the motherboard? Is that enough?
I had a 16X in my hands the other day and the rubber port coverings just don't inspire confidence.

38 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Someone started a rumour about the 16X getting a waterproof treatment soon. That might make it the #1 contender for you.

It sure would! But that means I'd have to wait longer? Or would the latest shipments already have it implemented?
If I were patient enough I'd also be curious about what Inmotion has in store with the VX next year. But not sure I can wait any longer. :D

• Like 1

Hands down, the KS 18XL would be the viable option and for all of the reasons you explained you're looking for in an EUC. Goodluck on your decision because it is not as cut and dry as we'd like it to be.

• Like 2

18XL is the best suited for what you describe for sure.. while the nikola trolley handle is okay, it is very horrible to carry.. also, its battery is much much worse range wise than the 18XL for example i get the same km on a 1554 wh 18XL and a 2100 wh nikola lol... v10f is relatively slow and doesnt have very good range.. you wont get 50 km on it, its comparable to the 16S.. MSX and nikola will have way more of the gyro effect, and the trolley on the MSX is garbage.. ACM is a fantastic wheel but again, no trolley handle unless you add one on, which is garbage.. the ACM actually gets pretty good range definitely over 50 km.. the monster is pointless imo to look at because it has no handle, and is ridiculously heavy and large.. its not a wheel most people would be riding every day unless they have a 100 km commute lol.. as for the 16X the wheel is 3" so you will have more of a gyro effect depending on which tire it has, but always more than 2.5".. also, it has a great deal of issues currently and i would never recommend someone to buy it until they are corrected.. it is basically the same size and weight as the 18XL..

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

18XL is the best suited for what you describe for sure

Agreed. Latest iteration of 18XL has the new silent and stronger motor and also all the other upgrades. No gyro effect, which is rare in this category. It fits everything you listed and is a reliable package with teething issues ironed out already. You just cannot go wrong with it. Remember to confirm it comes with the bigger pedals. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, UniVehje said:

Agreed. Latest iteration of 18XL has the new silent and stronger motor and also all the other upgrades. No gyro effect, which is rare in this category. It fits everything you listed and is a reliable package with teething issues ironed out already. You just cannot go wrong with it. Remember to confirm it comes with the bigger pedals. 

yes, i love mine to death.. if i didnt do so much commuting within the dt area it would definitely be my number 1 wheel, it is just so comfortable and smooth, has all of the great features and looks beautiful to boot.. uni is very right absolutely no gyro effect whatsoever it is nimble in a very good way, when you want it to be

• Like 2

Seems like the consensus is on the 18XL. Which is what I was planning to get. :)

Unfortunately both vendors that I had my eye on sold their last units the day before I ordered. Since I couldn't imagine having to wait for a couple of weeks, I cracked for the 16X instead. I guess I'll just really have to check the weather forecast every time before riding.

It should arrive on Wednesday. Can't wait! :D

• Like 3

Had my first ride on the 16X yesterday and first commute day. What a dream to ride!
I was quite worried about the transition, but aside from some very minor adjustments to my riding style it feels like it translates really well. I will need to get used to needing an extra meter or two to come to a full stop though :) And I only used 25% of my battery to get here, instead of 95%! :D

Edited by Tazarinho
  • Like 2

Sounds as though you and the 16x got off to a great start. Awesome! Glad your experience was one to boast about. 🙂👍🏼

Edited by Cutiyo
  • Like 1

Side note., if you are commenting for the giveaway, the comments need to be made from my YouTube channel. The comments will be grabbed from there and entered into the lottery.

5 minutes ago, Cutiyo said:

Side note., if you are commenting for the giveaway, the comments need to be made from my YouTube channel. The comments will be grabbed from there and entered into the lottery.

Didn't realize there was a giveaway going on. Might check it out! :)

2 hours ago, Cutiyo said:

And where's link to your channel 😁

My apologies, I posted a link under "Riding Safety and Protective Gear" and failed to realized when the comments for this conversation popped up in my in-box, I thought they were in response to the video. Again, sorry.

34 minutes ago, Cutiyo said:

My apologies, I posted a link under "Riding Safety and Protective Gear" and failed to realized when the comments for this conversation popped up in my in-box, I thought they were in response to the video. Again, sorry.

No worries. :)

I noticed there’s no mention of the z10. The z10 is my personal favorite for riding on asphalt (it sucks for off-road) I usually get around 55km on a charge. It’s a great wheel and very fun to ride. Just my 2 cents 😁

4 hours ago, Jpd said:

I noticed there’s no mention of the z10.

It kind of drops out already due to op’s requirements:

On 11/28/2019 at 11:47 AM, Tazarinho said:

Daily commute is about 20 km on very mixed terrain. In the weekends I love to ride off-road trails if the weather permits.

On 11/28/2019 at 11:47 AM, Tazarinho said:

Handling: Not a fan of the gyro effect. Nimbler is better for the more challenging off-roading

Also the durability has not been stellar, and the distribution network has narrowed down, also making future repairs or even spare parts a challenge to get.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2019 at 10:27 AM, Tazarinho said:

Had my first ride on the 16X yesterday and first commute day. What a dream to ride!
I was quite worried about the transition, but aside from some very minor adjustments to my riding style it feels like it translates really well. I will need to get used to needing an extra meter or two to come to a full stop though :) And I only used 25% of my battery to get here, instead of 95%! :D

As it is heavier than you V8 it do take a little long to brake, on the other hand you can push this much much further compared to the V8 motors max stoping power. There is just a slight issue to contain the KS16X brake power without getting wobbles. I think it has to do with how much force it generates and I can say I am not able to control this with my weak knees. There is a trick though if you brake in S-curves it becomes easier to maintain control and you kinda hide the braking distance as the S distance is longer travel distance compared to I distance, well I hope you get what I mean. 

As for weather proofing I think you might find some neat things coming from roll.nz. 

@The Fat Unicyclist were kind enough to take some inputs and bunching so ideas. I can't share too much right now. But I think once they go live I am getting "a set of wet dress code" for my KS16X. I can say a lot of ideas have been lifted and evaluated. It might not show at first, but I think it is very creative. I am impressed with how Kevin grab an idea to elevate it from good to great. I am looking forward to see the next level of KS16X fashion 🤩. Personally I think it is a must have for all KS16X owners....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

... A full-length Neoprene skirt that you wear around your waist (like a normal skirt) and it reaches down to your ankles - covering the EUC entirely!!!   ;)

:laughbounce2:

:thumbup: