Winter gloves for use with Demon Flexmeters

AtlasP

I'm on-board that Demon Flexmeters are the best wrist guards currently available for us and have/wear them religiously, but that leaves the problem of winter riding: I haven't seen winter gloves with wrist protection that match the Flexmeters.

Demon actually makes a pair/version of closed-finger gloves with built-in Flexmeter wrist protection, as well as a pair of 'over gloves' for use over the Flexmeters, but both of these are only advertised for snow and don't seem to have appropriate abrasion resistance for use on pavement and I fear they would tear through immediately in a crash. At least the 'over gloves' are relatively cheap compared to the Flexmeters so you could use them and if they rip from a crash just replace them (without having to replace the more expensive wrist guard part), although that doesn't help you if they tear through so immediately in the crash leaving your hands exposed anyway.

Perhaps there are other, thin and abrasion-resistant gloves for use under the Flexmeter wrist guards?

Suggestions/help? What do people wear in the winter that provides both wrist-protection and abrasion-resistance?

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

I've been trying to solve the same problem for weeks. Although my Reusch ski gloves fit over the Flexmeter (with and without plate), but as you say yourself, this is not optimal. The same goes for the operation of the smartphone.
Yesterday I ordered 4 different thin, but supposedly windproof Ziener Multisport Touchscreen gloves. I hope that at least one of them will fit comfortably under the flexmeter and keep you warm, unlike all the cheap 10€ China crap.

• Like 1

I get that EUCs are crazy niche, but with the rise of scooters and esk8 and OneWheel on the fringes of mainstream I keep waiting for some company to come along with a line of safety gear specifically targeting PEVs with the right amount of impact protection and abrasion resistance (somewhere between bicycle and motorcycle gear) and in the right places. You'd think it would be a lucrative enough market with a lot of 20-to-40-something geeks with disposable income that are willing to spend on accessories for their hobbies (not to mention safety-concerned parents of kids/teenagers starting to get into these things).

Edited by AtlasP

look at the Knox line of motorcycle gloves. they have the palm protection (and in the case of the Handroid Pod, finger protection) you need. 

My glove collection for EUC consist of Hillbilly wrist guards for summer (on amazon) and Knox Orsa and Knox Handroid (on Revzilla). 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

Knox Orsa and Knox Handroid

Am I blind, or do they have no brace at all to protect the wrist from breakage?
This protection would be the most important for me, instead of perfect protection against abrasions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zack Wong said:

Flatland 3D gloves are a mix of Knox plastic sliders with a basic scaphoid protection piece for wrist protection. Made specifically for esk8. 

I've been eyeing the Flatland 3d ones but they've been sold out for almost a year so it's kinda a moot point. (Also looks like the wrist protection is nowhere near as good as the Flexmeters.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, buell47 said:

This protection would be the most important for me, instead of perfect protection against abrasions.

Maybe he's wearing them under or over Flexmeters? Otherwise I'm with you, most motorcycle gloves are poor EUC options as they have abrasion resistance but no suitable wrist protection, and I agree the latter is at least if not more important than the former to me.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 9:14 AM, buell47 said:

Yesterday I ordered 4 different thin, but supposedly windproof Ziener Multisport Touchscreen gloves. I hope that at least one of them will fit comfortably under the flexmeter and keep you warm, unlike all the cheap 10€ China crap.

Received the Ziener gloves today and all fitting good or excellent under the Flexmeter. They all are touchscreen compatible and feel really warm (@home 😂). Maybe tomorrow I will test ride 3 of them, because it's very hard to choose the best one for my needs. Little difference in wind protection, wrist thickness, comfort and touchscreen abilities. 

If anyone need more Infos, feel free to ask. 

1) Ziener Herren IDAHO GWS TOUCH 

2) Ziener Herren IDIWOOL TOUCH

3) Ziener Herren Ividuro Touch

Update after short test:

#1 - Is the best, because absolutely windproof. I held my hand out of the car window for 5 minutes at 3°C and 80km/h and didn't feel the slightest feeling of cold. A small disadvantage compared to the other two is the slightly thick cuff on the wrist. But it still fits under the flexmeter. Touchscreen also works on the index finger and thumb. 

#2 - The most comfortable and super warm to go for a walk. Unfortunately not windproof. 

#3 - Also fits perfectly under the Flexmeter, but only windproof on the top. The wind is blowing through the sides and the inside as if you are not wearing a glove and after a few seconds the hand gets cold from the wind. After 1 minute the hand is almost frozen to death. 

Edited by buell47
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 3:35 PM, buell47 said:

On 11/27/2019 at 12:17 AM, AtlasP said:

Maybe he's wearing them under or over Flexmeters? Otherwise I'm with you, most motorcycle gloves are poor EUC options as they have abrasion resistance but no suitable wrist protection, and I agree the latter is at least if not more important than the former to me.

If you are riding  faster than 15mph you don't need a brace to protect your wrist. That's what the sliders on the gloves are for. You'll break your wrist at those speeds when you hit the ground, your hand grips the surface and you overextend it when falling over it. With the sliders on those gloves your hand will not grip but keep on sliding, avoiding the overextension and breaking of the wrist (and the slider will also diffuse the impact a bit).

I feel more confident at 20mph with my Knox gloves than using flexmeters and leaving all my fingers exposed. The flexmeters will save you in exactly the same way at higher speeds. The plastic will make sure your wrist slides instead of gripping and overextending.

Now for very low speed stuff, you're right, that slider won't do much as you will slam down completely vertically and there is no horizontal "energy" to be converted into a sliding movement.

This being said. I have leather Knox gloves and they are not very good in cold weather.

Those flatland gloves are low quality. Read tons of reports of problems with them after a while.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 9:28 AM, AtlasP said:

I get that EUCs are crazy niche, but with the rise of scooters and esk8 and OneWheel on the fringes of mainstream I keep waiting for some company to come along with a line of safety gear specifically targeting PEVs with the right amount of impact protection and abrasion resistance (somewhere between bicycle and motorcycle gear) and in the right places. You'd think it would be a lucrative enough market with a lot of 20-to-40-something geeks with disposable income that are willing to spend on accessories for their hobbies (not to mention safety-concerned parents of kids/teenagers starting to get into these things).

@GyroRideRz has the ideal summer gloves. Wrist protection and leather glove in one, with touch screen support. I have them and they are great.

He was working on a V2 with thermal and water insulation but there seemed to be some issues with them.

On 11/26/2019 at 2:35 PM, buell47 said:

The Knox Handroid Pod version IV now come with Microlock underneath the scaphoid protection system which is equivalent to D30 in the flexmetre, which distributes impact forces better across the wrist as well as absorbs energy when it hardens upon contact.

Knox Handroid Pod version IV also have finger tips for mobiles.

Minor observations on non EUC crashes at speed high and low:

After a recent accident on a bike where I flew off the handlebars at around 15mph the issue wasn't the wrist on landing at all... it was my fingers that got cut up on the road and a shoulder injury on a badly but welcome execution of a forward roll. After that I realised I want full fingers protected from the road. Ive ridden  and fallen off many bikes all my life... I have never suffered a wrist injury (an interesting (OK not 100% relatable) observation ).

Wrist injuries I have suffered have been at the slowest speeds  (falling backwards form vertical), which is an interesting consideration for me... 

Edited by RayBanMonster
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jonm42 said:

They are unfortunately  but Im all in on getting full protection  before I ride my wheels that arrived today yay!

Remember they are cheaper on eBay. and if like me you plan to also ride a motorbike in the near future... it expands its usefulness.

On 12/18/2019 at 6:59 PM, jonm42 said:

Does anyone know of a real live store US based that has Knox? All I can spot is on Amazon, E-Bay or Revzilla... :( ? Thank you for your superior search skills in advance.

I presume Amazon has the same policy everywhere?

Just get the sizing chart, order your size and if they don't fit send them back.

That's how I did it and they fit perfectly. Don't forget it's leather so even if it's a bit tight in the beginning it will stretch a bit (you can help this by soaking them in water before wearing them).

On 12/17/2019 at 9:16 PM, RayBanMonster said:

After that I realised I want full fingers protected from the road.

Exactly. Imagine the road rash you'd get from wearing flexmeters without gloves, crashing at 25mph and then sliding on your hands.

• Like 1