Nikola+ 21700

Kristof Willen

10 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

How does the process of ordering a thing work? If you had your own 3D printer I assume you can just print it or do you need a special type of printer? If you haven't got one then can anybody print it for you if you pay them? and how do you decide a price? Sorry for all questions but it's something I've heard about but not seen in action.

Most Thingverse items have an option 'Order this thing printed'.  Then you need to select an app which will select 3D printing services around your location, which will print the thing for you.  The app is responsible for showing the surrounding print services and the payment handling.

• Like 2

Day 5 - the first commute !
Starting the first commute, and the real test for this wheel.  Sure, it can probably ride fast, but can it ride slowly ? Will it be easy to carry it around stairs ? How easy is it to hop on/off the train ? So many questions, so let's start riding !

Some random remarks :

• The Gotway app sucks.  What are all those alarm settings ? Tilt back warning ? First Alarm.  Second alarm.  Trying turning off 2nd alarm.  App reports alarms as still present.  And why is only half of the app translated ?   After some time, it slowly dawns to me - First, disable 1st alarm, which means 2nd and tilt-back remain. After that, the 2nd alarm can be disabled.  I disable 1st alarm, as it keeps the wheel beeping while I gain confidence (and ergo start riding faster).   Where's the battery percentage readout ? Ahhh, I need to swipe up.  This thing seriously needs some UX rework.
  • This thing can be driven slowly, I'm able to keep up with pedestrians on busy sidewalks while leaving the train station.  Another tick mark checked. 
  • Haven't heard the fan yet or it must be real quiet.
  • The anti spin button works surprisingly well, though one must make sure to keep pressure to the button below the handle, I once lowered the pressure while going downstairs, which sent the wheel spinning. 
  • The broad handle works surprisingly well as well, no issues to carry this over long distance steps, that was my main concern for this wheel.  Big tick mark checked again.
  • The headlight ? Seems to suck, to test later in the dark. 
  • I need those pads.  The wheel feels too slippery, so it definitely needs some kind of padding.  I fear that they will deliver too much annoyance however, and they are a bitch to remove once applied.   So the GW pads, or wait while ordering some foam tape ? 
  • That scorpion tail ? Meh.  Works decently, and does the job, but as it does not lock into place when pulled up, it might snap back when carrying it by the handle.  I have a feeling I'm going to hurt my thumb that way in the near future...  As for height, no problem with my 1.85 meters.

For the commute back home, I increase the tilt-back speed to 39kph. I gained enough confidence (Famous Last Words) and overtaking cyclists at 32 kph while the wheel goes beep-beep-beep-beep ain't funny.

The wheel surely delivers on the range test : after 30 km mileage, battery readout is at 80% in the Gotway app (mind you, the app displays in 10%-blocks, so this could be 71% as well), and 35.7 ( = 95.7 ?) on the voltage display.  Wheellog displays a 83% remaining battery.

All in all, count me a happy man !

Edited by Kristof Willen
  • Like 1

FWIW

• current mileage : 40 km
  • battery : 68% (according to EUC.World/Wheellog)
  • (broken) voltage meter readout : 31.8 (should be 91.8V due to the broken first LED)
  • rider weight : 90kg,  hilly terrain, cruising speed = 35-ish kph

• 2 months later...

Fast-forward 2 months & 500 km later :

• I really, really like the headlight : it's very bright and shines quite far. 
  • Increased tilt-back speed to 45kph
  • Mileage per charge is a bit disappointing (60-70 km per charge).  Hopefully that's because it's winter.
  • If I must talk about disadvantages of the wheel, then I would mention the tramline effect, which is quite subtle, but still sometimes gives the impression that the wheel 'slides away'.  Also, I still get speed wobbles at high speeds, especially when turning left (my dominant leg).  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2020 at 1:31 PM, Kristof Willen said:

Fast-forward 2 months & 500 km later :

• I really, really like the headlight : it's very bright and shines quite far. 
  • Increased tilt-back speed to 45kph
  • Mileage per charge is a bit disappointing (60-70 km per charge).  Hopefully that's because it's winter.
  • If I must talk about disadvantages of the wheel, then I would mention the tramline effect, which is quite subtle, but still sometimes gives the impression that the wheel 'slides away'.  Also, I still get speed wobbles at high speeds, especially when turning left (my dominant leg).  

I get this tramlining effect, was thinking something wrong with my wheel.  Did you manage to solve it - higher psi, more tire wear?

On 2/27/2020 at 10:39 PM, Topkek said:

I get this tramlining effect, was thinking something wrong with my wheel.  Did you manage to solve it - higher psi, more tire wear?

No, I only get it when passing irregularities in the road, so it's not a constant thing.  Didn't tried to fix it yet, but I suspect a lower PSI might fix it.  This has the disadvantage of faster tire wear, and lower range, so I'm still doubting of applying it...

On 2/28/2020 at 9:55 PM, Kristof Willen said:

No, I only get it when passing irregularities in the road, so it's not a constant thing.  Didn't tried to fix it yet, but I suspect a lower PSI might fix it.  This has the disadvantage of faster tire wear, and lower range, so I'm still doubting of applying it...

Yeah the tramlining effect seems to come out of nowhere for me. I could ride all day then I’m like what the hell was that lol.  I’m riding at 30 psi currently. 

On 11/25/2019 at 11:19 PM, Kristof Willen said:

The old
I'm currently riding a V10, my first EUC which I acquired in August last year.  Learning to ride was though, especially starting/mounting took me 2 weeks in order to be comfortable in traffic.  Fast forward 15 months and 4000km later : apart from some minor quirks, I really really love riding my V10 : the big pedals are a treat, and the V10 rides like a limo.  However, its range of 25-32km got more and more on my nerves, and especially in summer required multiple charges per day. I decide to upgrade to a long distance wheel. 

The new
Looking around for a new wheel was easy and yet very difficult.  I wanted a recent 1500+Wh model, so that limited the choice between the KS16X and the Nikola.  It took me months to decide between both.  Both are very fine wheels, but the reports about the water- and dust inlet of the KS16X let me skip this wheel (someone remembers the waterproofing issues of the V10 some months after launch ? I really needed a wheel which I can occasionally drive through some rain without fear of having a brick few days later).  Shame, I really really like the looks of the KS16X, definitively the better looking wheel of those 2, it reminds me of the Z10 with those fantastic LEDs.

I initially was looking at the Nikola+ 2100Wh, but put it down as I feared for the sheer weight (my daily commute has a fairly amount of steps).  As the 100V 21700 model came it out with its double battery pack, it meant better stability and lesser weight, so I was sold.  I acquired the wheel via erides.co.uk, it took about 3 weeks to get it delivered (was out of stock, was sent directly from Gotway to my address).

I have exactly the same mileage!

• 2 months later...