Tg F3 300watt 264wh Shunt Help?

Anik

Hello, so i ordered my tg f3 lastnight and i have come across these scary bms shutdown faceplant stories. so.. i was just wondering if their is anyone here that has an f3 and has successfully shunted it, and if you could guide me on how to shunt it. I have soldering tools but i do not know which things to solder :( any help is greatly appreciated! 

I don't have a TG F3, but would like to make a suggestion.  I own a Generic Wheel.  My son decided to try and see how fast it could go.   Ya, he face planted.  

The bottom line is, if we watch the battery and not try running it low, or try to run it past the speed warming.  It very likely never would have happened.  

So, I'm suggesting that you wear safety gear, and don't stress the Wheel.  If we had followed that basic advice, all we would have had is a few scrapes and sore legs from learning how to ride.

Yes maxime, i have read the other posts but it doesn't really explain the actual procedure. Do i just drop a blob of solder onto each mosfet? or should i heat them with solder iron first then apply the blob? i know which transistors need to be touched and not touched. If you could give tutorial/walkthrough i would really appreciate it :)

OK. I recall you must join only the central and right of the Mosfet ( on 2 Mosfets is enough). Soldering is a basic technique. It is easier to prform if you put a small length of copper thread over the 2 legs and solder after. On the contrary, solder pours down in the middle space and is difficult to remove. Basically, soldering needs the pieces to first be at the good temperature and then apply solder.

If you have never done, make some tries on wires first. Anyway, if you overheat the Mosfets by being too long, I feel it will not matter...

For learning how to solder you find many usefull links if you google "howto solder". Then you should try to solder together some wires without melting away all the insulation (mosfets and the surrounding can be killed by soldering - not easily if you know how to soldier, but you are new to this...). The tipp from @Maximewith the copper thread is great to get a nice connection.

for which mosfet to shunt at which legs you have already the links above (including photos, walkthroughs and whatever)

good luck for your operation!

Yes, i have experience in soldering basic things like wires etc.. but i have not found anything online to aid me on mosfet soldering. I am just really worried that i will screw up the process and be left with a broken unicycle lol. So basically, i am just connecting the 2 mosfets with solder yes? What will happen if the solder drips down inbetween? can i use any type of solder to shunt? or does it have to be a certain brand? sorry for so many questions.. i am just nervous. :/

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2015, 10:12:34, Maxime said:

Hello Anik. I have a TG F3 264 Wh that I have shunted. Rather easy and no problem since that. But I seem to remember you allready put the question and I answered with sufficient refs to apply. What is your problem now ?

Hi Maxime, Anik,

I finally had my first BMS cutoff with my TG F3, and i'm going to do the shunt now.

How do you open to reach the battery pack? Do I need to open the cover halfs or should I remove the padding (with the TG F3 label) and find the battery from under there?

greatly appreciate your help!

Allways wait till you be wounded, hey ?

Just open the side with no buttons. Do not remove the pad (it is very difficult to re-glue, the matter accepts no glue). Just lift the edge (no glue there) and the screws are visible. You will acces directly to the batt. Hobby says to just open a small window… I opened up to down the whole blue enveloppe to access the card. The most easy if not used to solder is to solder a wire between the spots as indicated by Hobby16, no danger to alter something else.

On 3. Dezember 2015 um 13:58:06, stillet said:

Yea, some wounds convinced me this shutdown many people are saying is real. Luckily it happened during a slow uphill ride.

I will try do this shunt today, will post pic.

Hello stillet, I would like to see your foto of the shunt, because I own a TG-F3 myself and definitely don't want to experience a sudden shut-off. I think I have to do the shunting as well. :wacko:

5 hours ago, ScooterB said:

Hello stillet, I would like to see your foto of the shunt, because I own a TG-F3 myself and definitely don't want to experience a sudden shut-off. I think I have to do the shunting as well. :wacko:

Hi ScooterB,

This is the shunt I did on my TG F3 BMS.

hobby16 has seen this and said it is OK. Though I have not test ride yet after the shunt, its been raining this few days in Tampere. 

WP_20151205_01_15_53_Pro edit.jpg

Archived