A newbie after 6 days with a Nikola+

foxtrotgolf

Greetings! I'm a Onewheel veteran with over 3000 miles (and still completely love it) but wanted something a bit faster with more range.
I purchased a Nikola+ 100v, because I was confident I could figure it out quickly, and didn't want to outgrow a starter model. 

The learning process: 
I wasted about 10 minutes riding on one leg, and using golf clubs as canes. The breakthrough was when I took it to a tennis court. I did a couple laps around it while touching the fence. Then, I rode to the center, and tried to ride back to the edge without putting my foot down. Miraculously, the wheel stayed upright. I realized that if you're tilting to the right, just go with it, lean to the right, and the wheel will return to perpendicular. The first couple times, it felt like the footpads were going to scrape, but I made it. In my first 30 minutes of ownership, I rode about 3 miles. Fun! 

Just today, I went on a 15 mile ride, with a top speed of 30mph. Lots of smiles and waves, for I'm the only person I know with an electric unicycle in N. Carolina. 

A couple notes about the Nikola+: 
- it has a great headlight! Night riding is really fun. 
- it is very smooth, powerful, and silent. It feels like a Mustang GT in 5th gear, while the Onewheel feels like a Fiesta in 2nd.
- it feels like I really have to lean forward while squeezing it to gain speed. Is this normal? 
- the startup sound is loud and embarrassing. I'll carry it through the house and turn it on outside so not to annoy my family
- I think it's safer than a Onewheel, for it has power to spare
- the Onewheel is more fun around corners (that snowboardy feeling) but the speed in a straight line is more fun on an EUC.

Question: What's the best way to know my remaining range? My Kebe Gotway app says 50%, Darknessbot IOS says 41%, and the red voltage number on the side says 88.5. I want to take it on a long trip, but i'm afraid.

Cheers!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, foxtrotgolf said:

It feels like I really have to lean forward while squeezing it to gain speed. Is this normal? 

This is normal for a beginner. Your feet are likely further back than normal. If I wanted to accelerate or go up a long hill I would move one foot forward for the duration. 

33 minutes ago, foxtrotgolf said:

Question: What's the best way to know my remaining range? My Kebe Gotway app says 50%, Darknessbot IOS says 41%, and the red voltage number on the side says 88.5. I want to take it on a long trip, but i'm afraid.

Use one app and get used to it. Some just say go by the voltage and it won't matter. Just be sure to pay attention to the beep when you here it.  Bring a charger and some coffee money. I can get almost 10 miles on a 1 hour charge. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

Cell at max is 4.2V.
Cell at empty is 3.3V.
The config is 24P so 4.2V*24 = 100.8V at full and that's why it's a 100V wheel.
Empty would be 3.3V*24 = 79.2V.
That gives you 21V to play with.

88.5V is 12V less than 100.8V and leaves you with 9V so 41% would be more accurate and precise.
Remember also that the Gotway app rounds up to the nearest "10" so 41 will show as 50.

Good job on getting a Nikola+! I 've owned a OneWheel as well but could no longer justify keeping it after riding my EUC so much.
I sold my XR and got another EUC instead.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, foxtrotgolf said:

so instead of going riding this afternoon, I'm shopping for pads ;(

Good idea;)

In order of importance: nice sliding wrist guards, then come knee pads and a helmet (full face ideally), then everything else you may want.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 3

I second the "place your foot further forward remark".  When you're ready to ride fast (give it time), place about 25% of your foot behind the center of the pedal, the remaining 75% of your foot in the front.  This makes it so you don't have to do much pushing forward to ride at a gentle pace, and it'll ease the foot pain considerably.  Then, when you want to speed up, you just gently press forward and it'll take off like a rocket.

Foot placement is everything on EUCs.

Edited by leadfeathers

Most of the charge is between 3.6-3.9v thereabouts. Before 3.9 you still got most of it, after 3.6 you're approaching empty quite fast.

To the OP I just want to say, stay alert and keep your knees bent at all times. It's easy to get comfortable and lazy.

In the beginning 1000km is enough to lose focus and seem invincible, as you get experienced maybe 5000km, but the decline doesn't seem to go away. Keep giving yourself reminders and if you ride at 50km/h without protection, that is going to really really hurt one day.

Otherwise enjoy the wheel. Ride in daylight if you want to be able to enjoy the ride better. 

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1