Justify buying a Gotway Monster v3?

Finn Bjerke

25 minutes ago, Arbolest said:

So your technique is only concerning a short moment or two at the very beginning of an acceleration maneuver, and not an entire ramp-up to full speed?

Fascinating. So it's a transient effect instead of a prolonged one... I do admit that makes much more sense taken in that context, although there are still some finer points that I'm struggling to grasp considering that if I remember correctly you do NOT advocate gripping the side of the wheel with your legs at all?

I just edited this in to my previous post 

I’m from a sport where 0.01 seconds or 1 millisecond makes the difference from getting a top 3 medal to being off the podium. You better believe that getting in position faster and being able to do it reliably and safely (without over leaning)makes a huge difference. 

The movement is about speed in positioning and safety. In case I get pedal dip or overlean, I can quickly throw arms in front of me to correct/stabilize myself and throw my weight back. The speed at which I can shift my weight forward is increased thanks to throwing my arms back, which increases acceleration because I get in position to accelerate faster. 

At the speeds we’re going(35+mph), even saving 50 milliseconds or 0.50 seconds accelerating can create a noticeable gap over a car you intend to pass. Most people don’t think of those precious milliseconds. In a 100m dash, losing by even a tenth of a second is a huge gap and looked like you got your ass kicked and we’re only going 25mph. I guess since the form factor is still relatively the same (relative same length and width as a human but on a wheel) I still think of those milliseconds and how to shave time off. 

As for gripping the wheel... I can’t lol. You can see in my prior images that my knees are past the wheel and you can’t grip it. And my feet are wide so my ankles can’t grip either. I know with thicker pads I could grip the wheel and try to muscle it forward with my body weight but I think letting the wheel have some play between your legs decreases wobbles and increases your overall stability. 

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

The image of Tishawn is a good example of throwing one’s arm back while simultaneously throwing the weight forward to accelerate. Happens in 0:44 of the video. 

4DDD1EAB-0421-4D20-B962-C7BC967AF171.jpeg

This is absolutely beautiful style of riding! It's this perfect fusion of rationale, performance, and visual appearance that makes professional athletes exude this feeling of beauty. A downhill skier; ski jumper; speedskater; sport motorcycle rider; - they all have this perfect fusion of functions and body posture.

I totally dig this and will try to learn this style ASAP!

Now, a question: how do you (or other riders with this style) ride long stretches where you can't do any carving? (e.g. narrow bike path with opposing traffic, with only 3ft of width available) Just freezing this body position and going straight several miles will be quite tiring, no? But standing straight like a stooge, while relaxing, is no good, either, from the safety standpoint, as it is the perfect posture for "hammer your head against pavement as hard as possible" in case of an overlean or total system malfunction.

Edited by Aneta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aneta said:

Now, a question: how do you (or other riders with this style) ride long stretches where you can't do any carving? (e.g. narrow bike path with opposing traffic, with only 3ft of width available) Just freezing this body position and going straight several miles will be quite tiring, no? But standing straight like a stooge, while relaxing, is no good, either, from the safety standpoint, as it is the perfect posture for "hammer your head against pavement as hard as possible" in case of an overlean or total system malfunction.

Well this style of riding is only necessary for performance or show boating. In your scenario we no longer need or want to be performance oriented so we can just putt along in a straight line like a zombie. Or ride seated. 

5 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Well this style of riding is only necessary for performance or show boating. In your scenario we no longer need or want to be performance oriented so we can just putt along in a straight line like a zombie. Or ride seated. 

Gotcha. What do you think about the "toilet seat" idea?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2019 at 5:13 PM, Aneta said:

I wonder if anyone have had this crazy thought of making full 360 degree "deck" around the wheel and thus kinda blend segwheel and onewheel concepts? For a quick DIY, one could probably even take a toilet seat and put it over the wheel and screw it onto the pedals. You can then do not only 45 degree stance, but 90 degree, like on snowboard and onewheel. Of course, ground clearance on aggressive ac/de-celerations might be in issue; but pedals on Monster could be lifted quite a lot. Just throwing some crazy ideas. Again.

Just watched this video. This looks more sane than a toilet seat!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...