Cold-weather riders, this one's for you!

D3m0nzz

To kick off my mega-guide on cold-weather gear for PEV riders, I have started out with jackets. I would love to hear feedback from other winter-warriors in the community and see if there is anything I am missing in the jacket department (and also any tips for other gear as I begin to build out the gloves, shoes, pants, and helmet sections of the guide!)

Tagging @winterwheel  because I know that he will have some opinions on this topic. 

Ya know, I had been considering something like this! If they make a suit like this that is tough and abrasion resistant and looks halfway decent, that might be the perfect option. You can get to you destination and ditch the suit to reveal your elegant dinner jacket underneath.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 3:26 PM, D3m0nzz said:

To kick off my mega-guide on cold-weather gear for PEV riders, I have started out with jackets. I would love to hear feedback from other winter-warriors in the community and see if there is anything I am missing in the jacket department (and also any tips for other gear as I begin to build out the gloves, shoes, pants, and helmet sections of the guide!)

Tagging @winterwheel  because I know that he will have some opinions on this topic. 

Awesome guide.

I wear a three layer motorcycle jacket. It has an outer shell with elbow pads (it had many more pads, but I removed everything except the elbow pads, since that's what needs protection if the wheel drops out from under you on unexpected ice.) It has a waterproof layer layer that actually is awesome for keeping the wind out, and an inner quilted layer for warmth. When I get to work I peel off the outer shell and the rain layer is wearable around the office during the day. Amazingly, I wear the same jacket on the hottest days of summer down to -30 days in winter, just by adjusting layers. (Although I add a sweater in winter's super-cold days).

The Land's End jacket would be is a little too dark for me; much winter riding is done in the dark around car drivers who are often peering through partially scraped and foggy windshields. You want something that really stands out.

The other thing to mention is that you want something that isn't too difficult to clean. Jackets get super grimy riding wheels over the course of the winter season.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 1

Really intrigued on the three layer motorcycle jacket and the gloves you use. 

Are we talking -30 degrees Fahrenheit? If so, that is CRAZY cold. How does the wheel handle something like that? I have a case for my 18xl on the way to improve on insulation and waterproofing, but that can only go so far.

10 hours ago, D3m0nzz said:

Really intrigued on the three layer motorcycle jacket and the gloves you use. 

Are we talking -30 degrees Fahrenheit? If so, that is CRAZY cold. How does the wheel handle something like that? I have a case for my 18xl on the way to improve on insulation and waterproofing, but that can only go so far.

About -27f. The ACM2 starts cooling down in temps about -18c with me (heavy) riding, but my commute is short, 20-25 minutes on a day like this. The 18XL seems to cool down a lot quicker (at about -6c), I haven't done any  formal tests but I not confident the xl would have made it without a blanket or something to keep it from getting so cold. On this day, even the ACM wouldn't have been good for a lot further. (6.5km)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, winterwheel said:

About -27f. The ACM2 starts cooling down in temps about -18c with me (heavy) riding, but my commute is short, 20-25 minutes on a day like this. The 18XL seems to cool down a lot quicker (at about -6c), I haven't done any  formal tests but I not confident the xl would have made it without a blanket or something to keep it from getting so cold. On this day, even the ACM wouldn't have been good for a lot further. (6.5km)

That looks post apocalyptic. Only human alive outside (not counting cars)

• Like 2

On 11/23/2019 at 11:16 AM, F.J. Abaya said:

I just bought this one so I can transfer it from one jacket to another. I hope it works well. 

https://anseris.com/products/torch-coat-heater

If I end up getting something like that, I'd go for the much cheaper zippo option. https://www.amazon.com/Zippo-Hand-Warmer-12-Hour-Chrome/dp/B013HLGTL2