Calling the tire guru = MrElwood

Unventor

So since I have joined this forum I have found that @mrelwood to be the undisputed guru of gurus when it comes to tire choices and knowledge and testing.

So with that cleared I will start off with the first question in this new advice thread. I am fully aware that feel and preferences are personal and not always the same from one rider to another. 

As to his previous advice he made this attached spreadsheet file to get suggestions to tire pressure.

File: EUC Tire Pressure (1).xlsx

So here goes.... 

@mrelwood what do you suggest as a nordic winter season tire for a V10f (default 16"x2.5")?

Expected condition: Dry, rain light snow and icy-patchedroads roads. Temperatures range +5 to -10 degrees Celsius. 

Note: I rode my KS18L almost every day last winter, beside 2 days with heavy melting wet snow (I don't have the proper English word for it) and 1 wheel that was very cold, like - 10 or more (or actually lower 😉❄️, so I recalled it) 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 3

Wow... Thank you so much for the compliments! I’ve been wondering if I’ll be called educated or obsessed. I definitely like this better! :thumbup:

Two ways to look at this: Studs or studless. Since the tire size is not awfully common in street vehicles outside EUCs, studs would need to be applied oneself. Depending on the tire, you should search for 9*4mm or just any 9mm tall ”carbide studs”. Despite 9mm being the shortest total length available (that I know of), it still requires a more figured tire profile than the V10F factory installed Kenda. Schwalbe Mad Mike might take these narrow ones, but the widest 16” Mad Mike I’ve seen available is 16x1.9”, so you’d have to decide wether you’d be able to tolerate such a narrow tire for the winter.

Then there are motorcycle tires. Luckily 12-2.50” (= 60/100-12) seems to be the front tire size for a certain style of pit bike. But it is a good bit taller and wider than a regular 16x2.5”, so I’d check the clearances first. Cons for the pit bike tire are that almost all pit bike tires (especially 60/100) are very rough in profile causing a shaky ride, and being designed for dirt tends to be made from a harder rubber compound which works well for snow but is not the best for ice.

For my own use I guess I’d look for a 2.50-12 motorcycle tire with smaller and more tightly spaced knobbies, and see if it would fit. If I’d want more grip, I’d screw in a few studs starting from the edges of the tire.

Was that helpful to the extent that you hoped for? :)

• Like 2

Well it is a start, I am aware I need to do the journey me self. The good part is I now have a few directions to persue rather than having no clues. 

I acturly have a red 16" winter/mud tire intended for my V8 laying around. But it isn't as wide so I am not sure how this will fit. 

16-inch-schwalbe-winter-tire.jpg

I did test this when I had my V8 working brietly maybe 25km or so. But at the time it was only wet asphalt. And of course a lighter wheel (and rider 😉). 

Thanks a lot for your answer Tire-guru @mrelwood 👍😁

No problem! I do wish there was an actual line of tires I could point to, but there seems to be no shortcut past the fact that the sizing of EUC tires just doesn’t offer as much as we hope.

The image you posted is exactly the Mad Mike pattern. The 1.9” width would fit fine on the V10F, but the ride would likely be quite different. I haven’t handled a Mad Mike personally, so I can’t say if the narrow 9x4mm studs would hold in the narrow knobs, or would the edge be too thin and tear.

8 hours ago, Unventor said:

Well it is a start, I am aware I need to do the journey me self. The good part is I now have a few directions to persue rather than having no clues. 

I acturly have a red 16" winter/mud tire intended for my V8 laying around. But it isn't as wide so I am not sure how this will fit. 

16-inch-schwalbe-winter-tire.jpg

I did test this when I had my V8 working brietly maybe 25km or so. But at the time it was only wet asphalt. And of course a lighter wheel (and rider 😉). 

Thanks a lot for your answer Tire-guru @mrelwood 👍😁

Don't use that tire. On asphalt it wears down completely in a matter of weeks :facepalm:

Edited by Shad0z

3 hours ago, Shad0z said:

Don't use that tire. On asphalt it wears down completely in a matter of weeks :facepalm:

Maybe, but I bought this long time ago so I might as well test it once we have snow. 

The sub zero temp will set in next week if you can trust weather forecast 🙄❄️