Nikola+ Review, a female perspective!

Cutiyo

1 hour ago, Cutiyo said:

@meepmeepmayer thank you for your feedback., after posting the video FreeMotion notified me about the "cracks" I referenced and explained it away. Also, at 17 psi, the Nik felt a tad bit squirrelly, which led me to believe it was over inflated; however, upon checking the pressure, it was the opposite. Since the Nik is a different animal all together., heavier, thicker and on the high side, I rather err on the side of caution with the PSI. I normally ride in the mid 20s and find my sweet spot and comfort somewhere thereof, but I will take your advise and incrementally bump up the tire pressure of the Nik and see if that'll help. Truth be told, I sort of like the knee drag effect. (Besides, I'm no stranger to the different turning and riding characteristics when dealing with PSI pressure., that's how I shattered my wrist. Trying different PSI levels while riding and carving, I quickly learned, PSI pressures in the 30s does lend itself for some injury prone riding for me. I need more tread on the ground and the more PSI I have, means the less tread I'm being afforded. And yes, with less PSI, there will be some take-aways, and that's putting more effort into doing things like turning and pick-up. Lol.) Now, for the glasses.., you are ABSOLUTELY correct in that my head is the culprit. Lol.  I didn't want to go into detail about it, but they don't seat well on my face. There's about a half inch gap above the rim where the shades do not touch my face around the eyebrows. It's almost like they were designed for jutted foreheads. They're nice and am super bummed I couldn't make a go of them. Believe you me, I tried but couldn't take the wind swirling around my eye causing them (eyes) to tear up when riding.  Again, thanks for the feedback. 

@Marty Backe well, hello again. I'm still bummed I could not make it to your side of town to partake in those super awesome tours. I'm plotting and planning on making it out there, but on another note.., my impression of the Nik by far had no negative take aways. I'm super loving that wheel. It's a different beast altogether and quite intimidating. After our first dance, it and I have come to a mutual understanding of one another. It just took spending time together to iron out our differences. Lol

Set your calendar for the 2020 Southern California EUC Tour :D  We had an amazing turnout considering this was the very first tour. I'm expecting an even better one next October.

• Like 1

@Marty Backe definately.., that'll be two months from my retirement! Hot Lanta!

@Marty Backe retirement bypassed me two years ago. I scratch my head at times wondering why I've not punched that last time card. But I gave myself an ultimatum., my last curtain call will be in 31 years. Well, next year this time will give me that. 🤗 Truth be told, if I lived in an area such as yours with sunny weather,  I would've left when the gettin(g) was good. Lol

• Like 1

@Cutiyo have you ever ridden on the Silver Commit trail? ( 100 mile old railroad trail from Atlanta to 25 miles into Alabama)    Atlanta-Dallas- Rockmart- Alabama 

I was told that I could, but warned that not everyone might agree or be happy with me. 

Interestly enough you mention this trail. My riding group mentioned partaking a trail similar to this one. I wonder if by chance this is the trail they spoke of. Will have to inquire on this Sunday's frigid 80 mile trek. 🥶

• Like 1

I like @Cutiyo’s style of making the reviews so detailed. The comment about the tire thread causing an unstable feel makes me doubt though, since she is using almost non-existent pressure on the tire. The contact patch is quite wide with a low pressure, so the center ridge doesn’t play that big of a part. Instead I would think that the big loose chunk of rubber would easily flob left and right causing an unstable ride.

I would increase the pressure in small increments to find out the most suitable pressure for you. My guess is that the ride gets more stable when closing up to 30psi.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1