MTen3 67v 420Wh vs 84v 325Wh

Hello everyone, just wanted to give a little update on my little MTen3 325/84. Finally starting to get comfortable riding this EUC. I'm increasing my cruising speed little by little. That's when I notice some wobble the other day. Mind you, I'm new to this hobby but I remembered one of Duf's vids where he adjusted the PSI on his 16x. So I tried lowering the PSI a bit, from a 30 to somewhere 25-ish but I seem to find the ride worse than before, so I just got it back up to 30 and that's when I noticed that my core valve was hissing... it was leaking. Tried adjusting the valve but was no good. Then just figured, what the hell, might as well change it and just add slime while I'm at it. Naturally, I watched Mr @Marty Backe's vid again on how. I deflated my tire... and this stuff came out (see pic)isthisslime.jpg someone please tell me that is some type of sealant ... anyway, long story short, went to Walmart late evening, bought slime and set of valves, applied slime, changed the valve... riding happily ever after... well... tbh, my V8F arrived last Monday so I'm kinda busy learning that one right now.  But I'm loving this Mten more and more everyday for its overall package... I practice few minutes everyday with it. It really is my "fun" wheel. Thanks again @Marty Backe and all you veteran riders for providing a lot of valuable content. Cheers!

I was kind of worried about this kind of thing as well, I'm guessing it was sealant since there are signs of something hardened around my tubeless tire valve. I'm hoping they did an adequate job and this isn't a systemic issue.

So you replaced the tubeless tire valve completely?
Oh boy now I'm worried, hopefully you just had a moment of bad luck. Happy riding to you, the V8F is a gorgeous wheel.

Only the valve core my friend, yes I did. I purchased a set of maybe 4 I think? with a remover. Slime brand as well. Cheap, like less than 2 dollars (1.98) at Walmart, the slime was around 8+ dollars, since Autozone was already closed at that time.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Terzo said:

Hello everyone, just wanted to give a little update on my little MTen3 325/84. Finally starting to get comfortable riding this EUC. I'm increasing my cruising speed little by little. That's when I notice some wobble the other day. Mind you, I'm new to this hobby but I remembered one of Duf's vids where he adjusted the PSI on his 16x. So I tried lowering the PSI a bit, from a 30 to somewhere 25-ish but I seem to find the ride worse than before, so I just got it back up to 30 and that's when I noticed that my core valve was hissing... it was leaking. Tried adjusting the valve but was no good. Then just figured, what the hell, might as well change it and just add slime while I'm at it. Naturally, I watched Mr @Marty Backe's vid again on how. I deflated my tire... and this stuff came out (see pic)isthisslime.jpg someone please tell me that is some type of sealant ... anyway, long story short, went to Walmart late evening, bought slime and set of valves, applied slime, changed the valve... riding happily ever after... well... tbh, my V8F arrived last Monday so I'm kinda busy learning that one right now.  But I'm loving this Mten more and more everyday for its overall package... I practice few minutes everyday with it. It really is my "fun" wheel. Thanks again @Marty Backe and all you veteran riders for providing a lot of valuable content. Cheers!

All tubeless tires will use a sealant - helps to seal the tire to the wheel. And Gotway certainly does which is what you got. Glad you got it working.

4 hours ago, Han Vo said:

Has anyone successfully installed the nobby tire on the mten3

I'm not aware of any success stories. I think the issue is that there's very little space between the existing tire and the shell.

There is only one different tire that people have used on the Mten3. I have a video on it's installation and I love the tire.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm not aware of any success stories. I think the issue is that there's very little space between the existing tire and the shell.

There is only one different tire that people have used on the Mten3. I have a video on it's installation and I love the tire.

I wanted a more grippy tire because we were riding with some one wheelers and I felt like the mten can outperform the one wheels in speed and distance. But when it came to off roading they were kicking my butt.  I know it's a different machine for different situations but I feel like if I just had more grip I could beat them at that too on the mten.  

Btw we are all friends, just friendly competition .

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Han Vo said:

I wanted a more grippy tire because we were riding with some one wheelers and I felt like the mten can outperform the one wheels in speed and distance. But when it came to off roading they were kicking my butt.  I know it's a different machine for different situations but I feel like if I just had more grip I could beat them at that too on the mten.  

Demonstrating EUC superiority over the Onewheel is a valid pursuit.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Han Vo said:

I'm sure there are off-road scenarios where you could beat a Onewheel. Uphill on wet grass, you'll be flying while they'll spin out. Our lawn looked like a war-sone when I was learning the Onewheel.

12 minutes ago, Cory Brown said:

Demonstrating EUC superiority over the Onewheel is a valid pursuit.

I went from a Onewheel too EUC's because of range and off-road capability, and even though EUC's are superior in just about everything, I would still like to own a Onewheel again, especially if they could get more range and more power (for safety reasons, not speed)

4 hours ago, Espen R said:

I went from a Onewheel too EUC's because of range and off-road capability, and even though EUC's are superior in just about everything, I would still like to own a Onewheel again, especially if they could get more range and more power (for safety reasons, not speed)

Part of me still wants a Onewheel since I do prefer snowboarding to skiing, but I think I'd rather put a board on the pedals of an EUC so it can be ridden like a OW, but with the EUC power.

Edited by Cory Brown

32 minutes ago, Cory Brown said:

Part of me still wants a Onewheel since I do prefer snowboarding to skiing, but I think I'd rather put a board on the pedals of an EUC so it can be ridden like a OW, but with the EUC power.

You could probably model the mten that way

8 hours ago, Cory Brown said:

That thumbnail image from that video demonstrates everything that's wrong with the OneWheel form factor. By moving the rider's weight onto giant levers much further from the axle/fulcrum of the wheel, you essentially give the rider Archimedes' giant lever with which to much more easily out-power the motor/batteries. So not only are OneWheel's motor and batteries already underpowered as it is, but the form factor then makes it significantly easier to generate too much leverage towards out-powering it.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, AtlasP said:

That thumbnail image from that video demonstrates everything that's wrong with the OneWheel form factor. By moving the rider's weight onto giant levers much further from the axle/fulcrum of the wheel, you essentially give the rider Archimedes' giant lever with which to much more easily out-power the motor/batteries. So not only are OneWheel's motor and batteries already underpowered as it is, but the form factor then makes it significantly easier to generate too much leverage towards out-powering it.

I think this is why the pint works, and in my opinion is about as big as you should go with such a design.

The tiny wheel with large ground contact area plus smaller fulcrum allows enough torque and grip to keep up with the increased strain of a onewheel design. There is a guy that already did a onewheel type mod with a Mten3 and that works because as anyone who has ridden one knows it has massive amounts of torque. In EUC form the Mten3 feels almost impossible to overlean (within reason), in onewheel form it seems like it would be a pint on steroids.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tenofnine said:

I think this is why the pint works, and in my opinion is about as big as you should go with such a design.

The tiny wheel with large ground contact area plus smaller fulcrum allows enough torque and grip to keep up with the increased strain of a onewheel design. There is a guy that already did a onewheel type mod with a Mten3 and that works because as anyone who has ridden one knows it has massive amounts of torque. In EUC form the Mten3 feels almost impossible to overlean (within reason), in onewheel form it seems like it would be a pint on steroids.

1. Pint is only a couple inches smaller than the XR, it's not actually that different in overall size (certainly not enough to 'salvage' the leverage issue with the form factor)
  2. Of course the MTen 3 has way larger motor and batteries which certainly makes it less likely to cut out than either OneWheel, but simple mathematics state attaching giant levers to it like the linked mod to turn it into a OW still would make it trivial to overpower in that form (compared to the original EUC form)
Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went out for a donut run on the Mten3 (seems fitting) and took the usual route I do on the Tesla which has me crossing a few streets and mixing into slow traffic. Hit 20.3 mph on the 67v without even realizing it, barely flirting with the edge of the 3 beep alarm. 37 degrees outside and quite foggy. Looks like this lil dude still packs a punch to get you out of a jam or two. It's a squirrely bugger but I felt it had my back the whole way.

Also I don't know if this is a thing with Mten3s but the mileage isn't reported in Wheellog, but in the Gotway app it keeps track of total mileage and trip mileage.

Screenshot_2020-02-10-18-41-38.thumb.png.9c04732d96d38354ea5ea540673cb240.png

Edited by tenofnine
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, tenofnine said:

Also I don't know if this is a thing with Mten3s but the mileage isn't reported in Wheellog, but in the Gotway app it keeps track of total mileage and trip mileage.

@Seba mentioned once that GW does not send all the data in one package (as KS does) and there were/are some probs with the way wheellog handled this, so he rewrote this in EUC world.

And GW has (can have) "silent" firmware updates from charge to charge. So also adaptions of the data transfer is possible and as wheellog is not maintained anymore...

• Like 2

On 1/29/2020 at 12:23 PM, Marty Backe said:

I'm getting the 67-volt version within the next couple of weeks and will attempt to quantify any handling different between the two versions.

Keep in mind that the stock tire that comes with the Mten3 has very little traction.

Hey Marty, I was looking into getting the budget options of these as a first time EUC buyer, but can't beside between the two. I don't want to wait too long in case they go out of stock. Any idea of when you'll be getting your 67V version and be able to give your quick thoughts on the performance difference. Thanks!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Noobydoo said:

Hey Marty, I was looking into getting the budget options of these as a first time EUC buyer, but can't beside between the two. I don't want to wait too long in case they go out of stock. Any idea of when you'll be getting your 67V version and be able to give your quick thoughts on the performance difference. Thanks!

EWheels provided a 67-volt Mten3 to @Jimmy Chang and he's had it for at least a couple of weeks. Whenever he's done with it I can do my comparative tests. I've very curious how it'll compare and I'd be guessing if I made a prediction. Sorry :(

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Looking to get this as my first EUC. Not really interested in going over 20mph on such a small wheel, but I'm still conflicted on which one to choose. I think an answer to this question will seal the deal for me: Does the 84V have noticeably better hill climbing ability?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, myll said:

Looking to get this as my first EUC. Not really interested in going over 20mph on such a small wheel, but I'm still conflicted on which one to choose. I think an answer to this question will seal the deal for me: Does the 84V have noticeably better hill climbing ability?

I haven't done extreme hill climbing on either wheel,  but I notice no appreciable difference between the wheels when climbing river ramps, etc. I really think the only practical difference is in range and top-end speed. I'll be posting my range test video later today.

If you want to be doing a lot of 20mph riding you still may want the 84-volt version. For me, the Mten3 is a certainly comfortable to ride at 15 - 16 mph, but I just don't go much faster than that with this wheel. The 67-volt model has no problems with those speeds throughout its battery capacity.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'll be posting my range test video later today.

Interested to see that of the lower range model. On the 84v 512wh model my 150lb friend got 19miles in hilly terrain going around 14mph cruising speed with a few spurts of 20mph(50degree day)

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Interested to see that of the lower range model. On the 84v 512wh model my 150lb friend got 19miles in hilly terrain going around 14mph cruising speed with a few spurts of 20mph(50degree day)

That's about what I got on my 84-volt Mten, plus or minus.

On the 67v I can get around 19-21 mph until about 65% battery (on flat, this is when 3-5 beeps start)

Then it tops out at 16-18 mph until 45%

Anything below the 35-40% range it can do up to 14-15 mph on flat or decline but if there is even the slightest incline it plummets to 8-12 mph.

It's still able to climb some really steep inclines even at 25% battery but you will be going 5-7 mph as it beeps at you constantly.

There are 3 hills that are quite steep in my daily commutes- a 20 degree parking garage incline, a 30 degree parkway ramp with a speed bump and a 25 degree steady climb by a Starbucks.

These types of inclines will bring the battery down by a full 15-25% in colder weathers, which I imagine can cause some weird throttling of the top speed and possible cut out situations. But having said all of this and riding the beeps I haven't felt uneasy at all on the 420Wh version. The beeps seem to go off much earlier than the motor and battery are capable of (giving a lot of leeway for error)

• Like 1