Jump to content
Jason McNeil

MTen3 67v 420Wh vs 84v 325Wh

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Trevor Phillips said:

Thanks for the tip, my MSX is very new I’m sure I saw a October 2019 build date somewhere 

 

ill definitely look into it snipping the wires soon

 

strill trying to figure out the tyre pressure, the sidewall is so stiff being a tubeless tyre and I like it a bit squishy

that aside I rode 28km on it and the calfs are more sore than 80km on the MSX

 

i suppose it’s a good thing, means they are getting a solid workout

 

also how fun is this thing, it’s like I’ve gone from a 5/10 rider to an 8/10 in skill, then I hopped on my MSX When I got home and I couldn’t ride it around the house like I previously could LOL

Yes, you've discovered what the Mten3 is all about. FUN :dribble:

BTW, you don't actually have to cut the wires. You can disconnect the control board connector instead. FYI :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trevor Phillips said:

 

ill definitely look into it snipping the wires soon

Why snip, don't they have a connector?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aneta said:

Why snip, don't they have a connector?

See comment before yours ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2019 at 9:04 PM, Marty Backe said:

I know someone who has ridden theirs at 38km/h.

I just wanna jump in here and straighten up the misconceptions about the Mten3 top speed

 

This was on a downhill, but I have hit 26mph (41km/h) on a flat surface

 

I weigh 170lb with gear on

30mph.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jason McNeil, are these "budget" 325/420Wh offerings permanent, or one-off winter batch only? I want to see the test reports from actual users when they receive first units in mid-January, to make sure Gotway hasn't SNAFU'd them like they did with oscillating MSX 1860Wh, to make an educated decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Declan acoustic-unicyclist said:

26mph (41km/h) on a flat surface

What's Mten3's SEF*?

 

* Speed Exaggeration Factor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Declan acoustic-unicyclist said:

These are real world values, based on GPS verified speedometers

26 is where i caught a pedal dip so probably the edge of what’s possible on mten before faceplant. I don’t recommend it at all, keep it around 24 to be safe. 

180 lbs + 10lbs gear/bag/junk. 

PS: 712 miles on that wheel? you’re getting your moneys worth! 😂

Edited by Ben Kim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings everyone, newbie here. Just got my Mten 325Wh/84V about 7 hours ago... Added some air, installed the gateway app, finished baby-proofing it too ;).

Quick question please, could someone tell me what that small button by the handle is for? Thanks in advanceviber-image-2020-01-17-00-39-18.jpgviber-image-2020-01-16-22-13-38.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Terzo said:

Greetings everyone, newbie here. Just got my Mten 325Wh/84V about 7 hours ago... Added some air, installed the gateway app, finished baby-proofing it too ;).

Quick question please, could someone tell me what that small button by the handle is for? Thanks in advanceviber-image-2020-01-17-00-39-18.jpg

The most recent update to the Mten3. Assuming that you are right-handed, press that button with your thumb just prior to picking up the Mten3, and the motor will be disengaged (as long as you are pressing button). Very handy for when you want to pick up the wheel when walking up stairs, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Confirmed... thank you so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What would be really nice is if the 325Wh version was is battery packs (removalable) so we could take a wheel on the airplane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2019 at 12:05 PM, Marty Backe said:

Many airlines will not even allow an EUC that is demonstrated to have no batteries, allowed on a plane.

The inside of the Mten3 is tight and the battery pack is small. I don't think it would be realistic to break it up into multiple components. And if you did, that would certainly raise the manufacturing cost (and therefore purchase price).

that might change it it show the batter is removed... just saying it removed is not enough... A lot of people travel with their onewheel, it would be nice if this was an option for an EUC... If the watts is clearly marked on the battery(s) and you can clearly see it removed from the EUC you could get it by the TSA... I used to travel a lot with electronics it annoying but most of the time the TSA is reasonable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2019 at 7:54 AM, Jason McNeil said:

Working on a deal with Gotway, for offer an 'entry' level MTe3n in the next 40-50 days for around $590, or $400 less than the current 512Wh/84V model. 

The choice is either a larger capacity 420Wh/67v or the 325Wh/84v, weight difference between the two is negligible, but the question is whether it's more advantageous to have another 95Wh capacity on the 67v or the extra 5MPH of speed head-room. For a 10", does anyone actual ride this at the 25MPH limit, or is 20MPH sufficient? Which would you choose?  

I have been look at these on your site waiting for them to become available more than likely I will get the 84v. the extra room would be safer and you could possible upgrade the battery later yourself... I don't see use this wheel for long distances, but I will use it at work (We not have two buildings and I have to go between them for meeting and the wheel is more fun than a shuttle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I think Jason’s lower priced entry strategy is working as you can add me to the list of newbies who just purchased the 320wh/84v MTen3 as their first EUC.

This will strictly be for learning/ play use, so I’d rather have the extra grunt rather than the range - especially since I’d like to eventually do some light off-roading on the bike trails around me.

I was seriously looking at the Onewheel but the number of reports of nosedive incidents and the resulting trauma gave me second thoughts and led me to stumble upon the EUC world.

Thanks for such a friendly and helpful forum. Although, I think you all will be an expensive bunch to hang out with...

 

Martog

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone, good day to you all. Couple of days in, still practicing... sore but having a blast. Anyhow, I'm kinda in the same situation with @WildHuman having to travel from building to building. I work in Healthcare and currently need to be doing quality and compliance rounds so I visit quite a few clinics and departments often, so I totally understand the feeling. Short trips so I don't need the range. The power, to me in this case is like insurance. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it (safety reasons). As to what he mentioned though... just upgrade the battery later, is it really that simple? @Jason McNeil do you sell those components? though I could probably search thru Mr @Marty Backe channel on how to do so. I've already learned a lot from watching these pros. Thank you bytheway @Marty Backe, most of my safety gear are per your recommendation (saw your vid and the weblink). I worked in physical rehabilitation (for a decade) prior to transferring to compliance, so I've seen quite a few injuries in my career. 

Have fun everyone, and stay safe! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Martog said:

Well, I think Jason’s lower priced entry strategy is working as you can add me to the list of newbies who just purchased the 320wh/84v MTen3 as their first EUC.

This will strictly be for learning/ play use, so I’d rather have the extra grunt rather than the range - especially since I’d like to eventually do some light off-roading on the bike trails around me.

I was seriously looking at the Onewheel but the number of reports of nosedive incidents and the resulting trauma gave me second thoughts and led me to stumble upon the EUC world.

Thanks for such a friendly and helpful forum. Although, I think you all will be an expensive bunch to hang out with...

 

Martog

 

Congrats on the Mten, if you're looking for grunt, grunt you'll get, the wheel is so small and light it's hard to believe something that small can squirt forward the way it does, the only thing to me about learning on the Mten is mounting it, I learned on a larger wheel that is easier to mount, this thing is small and takes some getting used to because it moves around easily, definitely hang onto something while mounting for a bit.  I bought the same version as you and the first day I went out and played for a few hours and still had 30% battery remaining (started at 80%), very few hills however but I weigh 210 so no lightweight, I am happy with my choice and am sure you will be too.  Happy wheeling!!

Edited by RetroThruster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Terzo said:

Hello everyone, good day to you all. Couple of days in, still practicing... sore but having a blast. Anyhow, I'm kinda in the same situation with @WildHuman having to travel from building to building. I work in Healthcare and currently need to be doing quality and compliance rounds so I visit quite a few clinics and departments often, so I totally understand the feeling. Short trips so I don't need the range. The power, to me in this case is like insurance. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it (safety reasons). As to what he mentioned though... just upgrade the battery later, is it really that simple? @Jason McNeil do you sell those components? though I could probably search thru Mr @Marty Backe channel on how to do so. I've already learned a lot from watching these pros. Thank you bytheway @Marty Backe, most of my safety gear are per your recommendation (saw your vid and the weblink). I worked in physical rehabilitation (for a decade) prior to transferring to compliance, so I've seen quite a few injuries in my career. 

Have fun everyone, and stay safe! 

All Mten3's have the same battery pack configuration - a hard plastic shell that contains the batteries. Upgrading the battery pack would be a matter of buying a whole new battery pack. It's not possible to actually "upgrade" the smaller pack. In many cases, two battery packs may look physically identical but they have different capacities because the internal battery types are different.

For just about every EUC available, it's very expensive to upgrade the battery pack and usually not worth it. Always best to buy the wheel with the battery capacity that you need. If you latter need more capacity, sell the wheel and buy a new one.

Knowing what I know now, and how I use the Mten3, I would be totally satisfied with the 320wh version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you ever get to making a DIY pack for Mten3 to increase the capacity (325Wh version uses 40pcs. Sony V3 2250mAh cells; 512Wh uses 40pcs. Sanyo 3450mAh), consider rearranging it into 2x independent 20s1p connected in parallel (with two output connectors) configuration, vs. current 2x 10s2p connected in series (with one connector). This is to replicate the battery redundancy that exists in many wheels with independent battery packs on each side. With current configuration, if the power connector or series nickel strip burns, you're kissing the Earth; with redundant configuration, you simply lose half the range.

Edited by Aneta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Aneta said:

If you ever get to making a DIY pack for Mten3 to increase the capacity (325Wh version uses 40pcs. Sony V3 2250mAh cells; 512Wh uses 40pcs. Sanyo 3450mAh), consider rearranging it into 2x independent 20s1p connected in parallel (with two output connectors) configuration, vs. current 2x 10s2p connected in series (with one connector). This is to replicate the battery redundancy that exists in many wheels with independent battery packs on each side. With current configuration, if the power connector or series nickel strip burns, you're kissing the Earth; with redundant configuration, you simply lose half the range.

if i were to do an mten3 DIY pack it would be a 20s2p with those big 50T cells gotway is using now. 900Wh would make it more useful for longer rides. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will 20s2p made of 21700's fit there? Very doubtful. That's 50% more volume and 740Wh capacity, not 900.

Edited by Aneta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Aneta said:

Will 20s2p made of 21700's fit there? Very doubtful. That's 50% more volume and 740Wh capacity, not 900.

ah my mistake. i was thinking of the Wh in a 24s2p pack not 20. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone thought about making auxiliary battery packs on the sides? One layer of 18650's is 18mm thick, 20s1p can be arranged in 2 lengthwise by 10 diameterwise (130mm by 180mm by 18mm) that can be attached to the side, with a 3D printed cover, for only 20-22mm extra thickness on each side. Provided that you redo the built-in pack with Sanyo GA and auxiliary packs with Sanyo's as well, you'll have a 20s4p configuration, with 1024Wh capacity and 3x redundancy factor!

Question for those who own Mten3: would adding 20mm slab on each side make it uncomfortable/impossible to ride?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...