How to check for traffic behind me

soundkite

16 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

Same! Although I didn't train it, I just learned it somewhere between 1000km and 3000km just by riding.
Mirror is very narrow, you have to aim it. And it requires a helmet, which I usually don't wear. Too much hassle for little gain, at least for me.

Try it, see if you like it. Mirrors are cheap, it may work for you. :) Or you may decide it's not worth it like I did.

I haven't tried wrist-mounted mirrors, so I can't comment on those.

cool.. i would try it but i dont wear any protective gear so unless i want to use a handheld mirror i have nowhere to put it :P

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GaryL said:

Care to show a photo of how the lights were mounted onto your helmet?  Thanks.

Sure! This is my helmet. I recently upgraded to one with a visor, but I'm waiting on new lights and mirror to arrive.

image.png.8e7f848b637e396a989b8e6222f4ad6a.png

Rear view:

image.png.629b831ddc7abe8d3a13c7ecff444e15.png

These lights came with mounts for bicycles, but I modified them for my use.

For the front light, I drilled two holes in the helmet and routed a ziptie through the mount's webbing straps. I thought might slide around when I first made it, but I cinched up the ziptie really tight and the tension does a good job of holding it in place:

image.png.ada2d8ce5a66baaa2bfd8407fe8f4462.png

For the rear light, I also drilled two holes into the helmet to route the ziptie through. The light's bicycle mount originally had flanges that got in the way, so I cut them off. It also didn't have any good place to route the ziptie through, so I drilled a hole through it sideways:

image.png.eb493df0d467ee552454a293ab1205c9.png

As for the mirror:

image.png.b057c13a2e5742284897e4da94454c70.png

This is a bicycle mirror, and for bicycles they assume you'll have plenty of vent holes to attach to. Since I didn't have any attachment points, I drilled four holes in the helmet and two holes in the mirror mount:

image.png.28e05e59c4611c8815446fa97329f267.png

If you're curious what drilling all these holes does to the protective foam padding... My helmet's not DOT-approved anymore, but I still have plenty of foam to spare:

image.png.f2a2a4b5947a75670a76e47913e25941.png

There were originally two holes here, but when I cinched the ziptie it crushed the foam between them so it's more of a gash. The ziptie ends up securing against the thick plastic of the outer shell.

Overall, I've been very satisfied with how it has worked out.

• Like 1

I use a mirror and it's amazing. Definitely recommend! I live in Copenhagen and riding in the bike Lanes with tons of bikes would be a pain having to turn my head every time. I also think it helps prevent accidents because it's easier to look up than turning your whole body and might losing a bit of balance.

It sucks a little because it sticks out from the helmet quite a bit though (harder to store), but it's just something you have to get used to.

• Like 1

I have been riding a bicycle for many years and seen probably ten thousands of cyclists in real life riding (I never lived in the US). Very very very few of these use a mirror, even though it is easier to install on a bike. I also tried a mirror on the bicycle but it didn't stick for some reason. That lets me believe that if I can turn my head on the EUC as easily as on the bike I should be fine. Despite quite some training I don't feel I am fully there yet (but also haven't given up). EDIT: Maybe if I'd wear a helmet I would give a mirror another try.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mono said:

Maybe if I'd wear a helmet I would give a mirror another try.

For me the awareness of one’s surroundings is notably more important on an EUC than on a bicycle.

Having the mirror attached in the head area is another key point. On a bicycle handlebar any mirror is quite small and the view area is fixed, while on the helmet one gets a wide coverage by just slightly turning one’s head. If I didn’t wear a helmet, I think I still wouldn’t bother with a wrist mounted mirror for example.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2019 at 10:59 PM, zeke said:

If you're curious what drilling all these holes does to the protective foam padding... My helmet's not DOT-approved anymore, but I still have plenty of foam to spare:

I'd use the 3M car moulding double-sided tape, it's crazy strong if attached properly.

One tip that works for me is never adhere it to a surface cold, I used something similar to ironing one side, cover over it till it's semi hot/warm to the feel - then peel and stick. Let it stand pressed for few minutes. Repeat process when adhering onto final surface. Before I'd notice it was falling off and I realized I've been attaching late at night in chilly weather, whereas I've always done it mid day when it's 80+degrees. Removing it, slowly pull, it'll stretch and peel off a little at a time lol, you'll notice how strong and resistant it is to being pulled off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

For me the awareness of one’s surroundings is notably more important on an EUC than on a bicycle.

Hard to see an explanation why that would be so objectively

On 11/19/2019 at 7:37 PM, zeke said:

I think those of us who use mirrors turn our head anyway. The mirror is just there so, at a glance, you can tell whether it's even worth looking without losing sight of what's in front of you. That way, if it's obvious that somebody is in the way, you don't waste precious time turning your head away from the road in front of you.

Same thing applies when you're driving a car: after checking your mirror you turn your head for confirmation. Just because I'll turn my head anyway doesn't mean I'd prefer my car not to have mirrors. :rolleyes:

I agree entirely with this approach.   I use a wrist mirror that I've attached to my left guard, super simple.   I do always turn around before I make a maneuver to double check.

The picture show with a strap but I've ditched the strap and just used velcro to attached to my wrist guard. 

20190222_085604_resized.jpg