winter storage of euc in heated storage room ...

bpong

y'all;

just looking for confirmation that this is the proper storage method to follow:

- i have discharged my tesla V2 down to 50% (as i have gathered from prev postings on this site)

- this will allow my wheel to be stored without affecting the battery's charging capacity.  the storage space is 'heated' but the temperature

range is basically from 5 degrees Celsius (41 degrees Fahrenheit) to 15 degrees Celsius (60 degrees Fahrenheit).

the storage period is from end of november to early april.  the euc is brand new,  only ridden a few hundred feet to test unit - its all okay.

i will drop by once a month to check the voltage and charge it up abit if needed - but not above 50%.

so,  will this be the best procedure to follow for winter storage of the unit ?

thanx in advance,

bpong

• Like 3

As far as I know, for the batteries the cooler the better.

The other elements shouldn’t care much as long as it’s not under 0c where some gaskets, glue and what not might not like it.

5c sounds ok to me, as long as it’s dry. I wouldn’t use energy heating more than that.

The voltage shouldn’t drop any significant amount over a few months, you should be good there.

Anyone, correct me if I’m wrong.

Edited by null
  • Like 2

Sounds good to me. The Tesla V2  does not have any other requirements that I am aware of.  Some wheels have a slow battery drain but not the Tesla. The only additional advice would to be to store it on a stand so that the tire will not flat spot. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, bpong said:

the storage period is from end of november to early april.  the euc is brand new,  only ridden a few hundred feet to test unit - its all okay.

Sounds like your answer is covered. Sad that your storing your wheel for that length of time especially since you’ve only ridden it a few hundred feet. Is your weather that horrible? 

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Sounds like your answer is covered. Sad that your storing your wheel for that length of time especially since you’ve only ridden it a few hundred feet. Is your weather that horrible? 

the problem is that the city of toronto uses SALT on the city streets during the winter months.  and salt is an enemy of aluminum and aluminum alloys... damn...

i still have my glide 3 to ride but still,  i only ride it when its dry and cold,  so that the least amount of salt and salt-water gets into the wheel well.  so when im not riding,  im walking.  the walking is fine,  i need the xtra exercise (5 miles total, to and from work)...

once early spring hits,  and the spring rain washes the salt away,  it will be riding season once again.... YEE HAA !!!!

have a great holiday season coming up too !!!!

bp

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 5:58 PM, bpong said:

so,  will this be the best procedure to follow for winter storage of the unit ?

sounds pretty good. I'd assume that 40% charge is better than 50% but I also assume the difference is not really relevant. I just stored away a battery at 50%, because I found it too inconvenient to do the discharge.