Best EUC For Me

Mjkadel

Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade from my Ninebot e+ which I've had for a little over a year. I'm torn over which one to buy. Here are my considerations:

• I'm 220 pounds. It would be safe to round that up to 235 with a fully loaded backpack.
  • I want a trolley handle.
  • I want a headlight.
  • I want some permanent part of the EUC to run a cable lock through. (I'm not leaving it outside in a bad part of town over a weekend, but I may lock it up outside the movie theater for 2 hours in my low-crime rate town.)
  • I don't have to carry it hardly ever.
  • My Ninebot e+'s 12 MPH top speed is annoying. Faster would be better.
  • My commute is shortish. Less than 10 miles round trip.
  • I'm often on the sidewalk, sometimes on the street.
  • I'm probably not going to do much trail riding.
  • I have lots of potholes and uneven sidewalks to deal with.

I'm leaning toward a Gotway Tesla but I'm been tempted by the MSX too given the possibility of a larger wheel providing a smoother ride. The King Songs look good but I'm worried that breaking the trolley handle to get a cable lock off would be just too easy. The Inmotion 10VF mostly fits the bill but I keep reading about the disappointing trolley handle.

And while we're at it, is eWheels the preferred online store around here?

Thanks for all the information on this forum. It's all been very helpful.

• Like 1

I personally suggest the MSX. It's going to provide a much smoother ride (like you mentioned) and you will easily be able to run a cable lock through either the handle on the case, or through the spokes in the wheel. Not to mention, it should be more stable at higher speeds than the 16" Tesla as you inevitably push faster and faster when you gain more experience. Also, based on the design of your DIY trolley handle, the rear-mounted trolley on the MSX probably won't bother you much (I have no issues with it anyway).

Edited by Arbolest
  • Like 1

I have a V10F and a MSX

aside from the trolley handle appearing to be an afterthought on the V10F it actually works much better than the one on the MSX, the MSX has a stupid trolley handle, it also does the job, but I left a huge burnout on the floor of a 7-11 store as I was wheeling it and it spun around and I had to lift the MSX so it didn’t run away LOL

the MSX will also allow a cable lock around the rim as it has space between the rim and motor being an 18” rim

ive not tried one but Kingsong seems to have the best trolley handles

also the headlight in the MSX isn’t as good as the V10F either

the MSX kills the V10F for long distance high speed work, and I think the V10F is better around town, mine accelerates quicker than the 84v MSX and feels more nimble, but it only travels 2/3rds as far and is slower, but you don’t want to go that fast

7 hours ago, Mjkadel said:

I wish there was a way to rent these to compare.

There's a great EUC community in the Bay Area. Check the Local Meetups forum for rides near you. Then, show up and ask about the different wheels you see. 

We're very helpful by nature. I won't presume that everyone will offer their wheel for you to test out but I also wouldn't surprised if many of them do. 

Best of luck!

Being at the heavier side of things, I would lean (heh) towards the 18” wheels. I’m an even 100kg geared up and 193cm tall, and with perhaps the exception of the new 16x3” wheels, I like 18” wheels much much more than 16” (x2.125” or even 2.5”) ones. Doesn’t matter if I’d crawl in a crowd of pedestrians or slaloming through other tight objects, 18” is absolutely the way to go for me.

18XL is a wonderful wheel with very little to no aspects that tend to bug people. MSX is a mixed bag in that if you’re ok with the pedal angle, don’t ride often in pitch black, and don’t mind the challenging trolley handling behaviour etc, it can be a one magnificent ride.

But many other current wheels would also be a huge upgrade from your E+ and do everything you need. Such as the Nikola, 16X, V10F, and even the Tesla. A quick test ride might not actually tell you an awful much, since every new wheel will surely feel strange and wrong at first, but one will get accustomed to pretty much any wheel.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I just this second bought a not very used V10F from a local person so hopefully they're honest and I like the wheel. If it doesn't work out look for a post in the for sale section or a sad follow up about not buying things used. :) 

• Like 2

Just to put a button on this: Turns out the V10F was actual a V10, but because we transacted the sale in person we were able to work that out. I've only ridden about 30 minutes so far, but everything seems to be in order, and it will certainly do my commute without needing a charge in the middle. Going from my e+, the difference in night and day. I can go up hills, for example. Thanks all!

• Like 3

The dealbreaker is the chain outside issue. If this is truly what you want to do then msx seems like a good choice for your size.

If you're like me, and prefer to take the wheel in with you wherever you go, I suggest something like the 18XL. Less power but it has a usable trolley handle. The one on the msx seems it could get annoying really fast.

Also my guess is that an 18XL can take a few tumbles more than an msx and stay water resistant a bit longer. 

I'm riding an old wheel and I'm worried water might get in through the cracks. I check it regularly and silicon the thing up but I feel bad to get rid of my wheel just because of a "maybe". In other aspects it works fine and gives me the right power/weight ratio that I need. There are no real upgrades that don't come with drawbacks.

On 11/13/2019 at 7:32 AM, Mjkadel said:

I had no idea there was space in the 18s to run a cable lock through the wheel. This opens up the King Song 18L/XL too. I wish there was a way to rent these to compare.

On 11/13/2019 at 2:50 PM, Freewheeler said:

There's a great EUC community in the Bay Area. Check the Local Meetups forum for rides near you. Then, show up and ask about the different wheels you see. 

We're very helpful by nature. I won't presume that everyone will offer their wheel for you to test out but I also wouldn't surprised if many of them do. 

Best of luck!

This is late, but what part of the bay are you in? If you ever wanted to try a Nikola or MSX, I own both :) glad to hear you got an upgrade! 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zack Wong said:

This is late, but what part of the bay are you in? If you ever wanted to try a Nikola or MSX, I own both :) glad to hear you got an upgrade! 

I live in Alameda. Now that I'm on a V10 I'm kinda glad I didn't go with an MSX. It feels like the V10 is less likely to kill me and goes plenty fast for my needs. But it might be fun to try something else if the opportunity comes along.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mjkadel said:

It feels like the V10 is less likely to kill me

I know that was just a figure of speech, but with 18 months on a MSX I feel that the wheel does everything in it’s literal power (which it has in spades) to keep me alive and well, no matter the cost. That’s perhaps what I like on it the most, it will never do any stunts because of the manufacturer’s marketing or legal departments.

But the V10F is a nice wheel as well, congrats!

• Like 1