Mavic 3 Announced

Rehab1

Word is out that the Mavic 3 will be available in January 2020. The timing is interesting being that the Skydio 2 will be in full delivery mode at that time.

It appears Mavic 3 will also have some amazing obstacle avoidance capabilities. It should be an awesome duel between the 2 companies.

49036112347_03276bec9c_b.jpg

• Like 2

This is exciting! The battle of the giants. Looks like Mavic 3 is more capable (10km range vs. 3.5), and it folds and easier to hand launch (no down-facing props).

Any word on pricing?

Are Mavics still hackable? (i.e. WRT removing the altitude limit) Mine is Mavic 1 reverted back to .700 firmware, with almost no limits. The 500m altitude limit makes flying in the mountains virtually useless. It can easily fly 1500m and higher.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aneta said:

This is exciting! The battle of the giants. Looks like Mavic 3 is more capable (10km range vs. 3.5), and it folds and easier to hand launch (no down-facing props).

Skydio 2 has been in production for 10 years building off the success of the R1 while providing an open source for app developers to further expand it’s capabilities. Their obstacle avoidance capabilities were superior to the Mavic Pro but that may soon change with the introduction of Mavic 3. 

i have both the Mavic Pro and Phanton 4 for distance flights but for close up tracking with superior collision avoidance is what I’m after, 

Is battery on Skydio completely enclosed in hard shell? I have 3 batteries for my Mavic Pro 1, they have this soft "belly" (side of li-po pack exposed?) and after less than 2 years they are all bulging out (they have maybe 70-80 charges each). This bulge inflates even more during flight, and when it lands, the battery is partially popped out of the craddle! Very dangerous! I'm thinking of doing DIY with replacing li-po pouches with 18650's.

I hope Mavic 3 and Skydio 2 don't have this problem.