Best EUC for commuting (+train)

John Snow

Hi,

I'm looking for a EUC for my daily commute to work, with the train.  

i own a Ninebot one C+ and I love how it's compact and 'light' but i am missing some power and range.

Need something with 20mph (35kmh) and a +20miles (35km) range.

Weight is not actually an issue, but would love a pick up switch for the stairs and a trolley handle for some walking. 

tnxz :)

• Like 1

Think of the weight of you do a bit of stairs. Larger wheels are good for range and potholes but 25kg is fairly heavy. Besides smaller diameters often have more torque and nimbleness, which is good in city trafic. The KS16S is plenty for city use and weights 17kg at most.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

If you utilize the range of the wheel every day and just include a single train commute, the transportability is quite secondary in my book. The quality of those 35kms of range suddenly weigh quite a lot more.

OTOH if you only ride a few kms to the train, continue with a bus or two, and ride again just a few kms to work or such, a much ”lesser” wheel would do.

For me every meter I ride counts for quite a lot, so I would be ready to haul a meheloth around if it would mean that I get to ride the wheel of my dreams for the rest of the way. But this is a balance you must find for yourself personally.

The wheels I’d choose for myself for your situation, from the most portable to the most enjoyable ride:

(V8F?/)16S - Tesla - V10F with reinforced pedals - (16X?) - Nikola/MSX with pedal angle mod - 18XL V1 - 18XL V2

The 18XL really is a marvellous wheel, they’ve now got everything right. It’s perhaps the safest buy on the market, and besides the weight it would serve everyone very well. That’s not to say that it’s the only right choice though.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

Heya, 

thanks for the responses. I like the way my Ninebot one C+ just acts like a  rideable briefcase, easy to hop on/off and easy to hide on the train.

20191105-064226.jpg

however, i'm a bit frustrated when riding with tilted-back pedals 80% of the time.

SO i will try to ride my MSX today and see how it goes ;)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, John Snow said:

SO i will try to ride my MSX today and see how it goes ;)

Good luck with the stairs!

I'd of thought the KS16S or Tesla V2 would suit you best. The Tesla has more power while the KS is probably better built and has better lights. Both have handles and a cut off switch for stairs. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 10:06 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

Agreed!

You need a serious wheel for the required speeds and range. V10F, Tesla, or even bigger. None of the "smaller" wheels will work.

Damn straight.

After riding with 14, 16, and 18 inchers regularly on the Metro, the 16 incher reigns supreme and the others aren't even close.

Hey, I love 14 inchers, they are my favorite wheel size, but they are simply too crash prone to be decent at anything. You need a wheel that can consistently roll at 15 mph over the tricky urban landscape. Presumably, for commuting your safety equipment consists of...nothing at all.

The trolley of the V10/V5 are far superior to any built in extendable trolley. You need that trolley on public transportation.

• Like 1

Today I was extremely happy to have my MSX with me , 

My train was cancelled but i was able to take a faster train and ride the extra distance with my Wheel (fun). 

I also greased the trolley bars and now it works perfectly

stairs are a none issue, i just switch the wheel on and off (the loud beep is a little bit annoying).

Edited by John Snow
  • Like 3