Jump to content
Jason McNeil

IMPORTANT: 16X Riders, Please Upgrade from v1.05 to v1.07!

Recommended Posts

On 11/12/2019 at 10:58 PM, Gaz Bon said:

Couple of things I noticed now on 1.07

1 Getting some braking wobbles not at high speeds or low very odd 

2 Had a strange peddle dip today only slightly but enough for a WTF 

All else seems solid enough ,carving seems more fun 

Another issue with 1.07 on my 16X

When charging to 90% 0r 80% with fast charger only on 2A

Charger gets to desired voltage level charger stops ,wheel announces Bluetooth is off ,charger starts up again for 2 sec then hit volt level again and stops wheel then announces Bluetooth is off and charger starts again this repeats over and over .

Unsure of the ramifications for wheel or charger if left in this state unnoticed 

So looks like fast charger now only good for 100% charging only 

 

 

 

Edited by Gaz Bon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aneta said:

Upgradeable FW also gives slack to the manufacturer to release poorly tested product and fix problems later based on user feedback (read: broken bones).

The wheel should "just work", and its "handling"/character should be set in stone. If they update FW, it should only be minor, non-riding related improvements (e.g. changing the LED color patterns, or abilility to speak "please decelerate" in different languages, etc.) Riding character of the wheel is a sacred thing and must be immutable.

It is not that I don't agree with you but if things were only that simple. 

With your opinion then Gotway should be your brand. 

I can only say the my KS18L got a lot better with a year later firmware release. (I don't recall version but might be 1.12 or 1.13)

As for my KS16X I think it is near perfect with fw 1.07. Only thing I really miss is a proper weatherproofing. I almost ride my wheel(s) more than I drive my car. And despite condition here in Sweden, last year my skills developed so I can ride despite icy and snow conditions. 

I chose KS (and Inmotion) due to fw update abilities. Other reasons too. It is also why I would not choose a Gotway, one of the points. If I am right or wrong in my way of choosing I can't say. 

But if let's say a mobile app/os changes so you cannot communicate with a wheel anymore because of fixed/locked firmware, having an update option over USB option as KS would not be a bad idea or? 🤔😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Unventor said:

It is not that I don't agree with you but if things were only that simple. 

With your opinion then Gotway should be your brand. 

I can only say the my KS18L got a lot better with a year later firmware release. (I don't recall version but might be 1.12 or 1.13)

As for my KS16X I think it is near perfect with fw 1.07. Only thing I really miss is a proper weatherproofing. I almost ride my wheel(s) more than I drive my car. And despite condition here in Sweden, last year my skills developed so I can ride despite icy and snow conditions. 

I chose KS (and Inmotion) due to fw update abilities. Other reasons too. It is also why I would not choose a Gotway, one of the points. If I am right or wrong in my way of choosing I can't say. 

But if let's say a mobile app/os changes so you cannot communicate with a wheel anymore because of fixed/locked firmware, having an update option over USB option as KS would not be a bad idea or? 🤔😉

No problem with broken app at all for me, because I use cheap ($30) Android phones for specific tasks, like EUC riding and drone flying. I don't even use Play Store on them, I sideload APKs on them and forget about it - it works, "it just works". I don't crave for new "features". I want my experience with my EUC as rock stable during its serviceable lifespan as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Aneta said:

Is upgradeable firmware a good thing or bad thing? Some EUC models don't have this ability, and are like traditional cars: you buy it, and it drives (handles) years later exactly the same when on day 1. Upgradeable FW may turn your $2000-3000 golden carriage into a pumpkin (or even worse - a brick), and you can't go back. It can also present you with difficult choices, like if they fixed critical issue A, but ruined feature B you loved - now you're sitting between two chairs, you can't have both A and B, what to do, what to do?

Upgradeable FW also gives slack to the manufacturer to release poorly tested product and fix problems later based on user feedback (read: broken bones).

The wheel should "just work", and its "handling"/character should be set in stone. If they update FW, it should only be minor, non-riding related improvements (e.g. changing the LED color patterns, or abilility to speak "please decelerate" in different languages, etc.) Riding character of the wheel is a sacred thing and must be immutable.

Us Gotway riders having been living like this forever. There can be downsides (once there was a firmware bug which required opening all of the wheels and updating the firmware, which could only be done by the dealer (shipping your wheel). But by and large we have survived.

I think all wheels should have the capability of getting the firmware updated, as we can with KingSong. However, this capability should include the ability to load whichever version you want. I despise that way the KingSong does it - there's no going back, so your golden carriage could indeed be turned into a pumpkin.

Edited by Marty Backe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gaz Bon said:

Another issue with 1.07 on my 16X

When charging to 90% 0r 80% with fast charger only on 2A

Charger gets to desired voltage level charger stops ,wheel announces Bluetooth is off ,charger starts up again for 2 sec then hit volt level again and stops wheel then announces Bluetooth is off and charger starts again this repeats over and over .

Unsure of the ramifications for wheel or charger if left in this state unnoticed 

So looks like fast charger now only good for 100% charging only 

WTF (excuse my French)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

WTF (excuse my French)

That’s what i thought.

I am struggling a few weeks now, one day i think tomorrow I’ll do the update and the next day i read new things that i don’t like that make me think f... it better not. :laughbounce2:

Its driving me crazy, so i think i will wait for 1.08 and be over with. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

That’s what i thought.

I am struggling a few weeks now, one day i think tomorrow I’ll do the update and the next day i read new things that i don’t like that make me think f... it better not. :laughbounce2:

Its driving me crazy, so i think i will wait for 1.08 and be over with. :D

You and me both brother :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Aneta said:

Is upgradeable firmware a good thing or bad thing?

As pointed up by Unventor and Marty, there are notable good and bad points to both approaches. Besides the well known MS3 firmware rodeo issue, Gotway had to silently modify the MSX firmware as well after the very first batch. My guess is they have had to do some other fixes on some models as well, but some bugs like the MSX distance reset are just left there. ”Set in stone” would only work well if they had the resources (and if the markets would allow) to test each wheel rigorously before release. And we all know that that isn’t and won’t be happening. With car manufacturers sure, but small EUC manufacturers in a fast paced new market sector, not so much.

But removing features, restricting top speed or otherwise limiting performance without a possibility to go back, that is the manufacturer abusing it’s position. I was able to dodge the bullet when an Airwheel mobile app update decreased the A3 top speed from 17 to 15 km/h (13%). If I didn’t, I’d have sent furious emails to Airwheel every week for the past three years.

The requirements we as customers set for the wheels change at a fast pace. The current trend in riding mode hardness for example, the difference is huge to wheels made just two years ago. I’d be the first to jump the gun if I had the possibility to upgrade a 2 year old wheel to current hardness standards.

”It just works” is a suitable approach for many simple things, but even a toilet paper holder may hang from a single loose screw, and only ”sort of” work. Add the complexity of a self-balancing vehicle that you have to trust with your life and we are entering a very different area of what ”working” entitles.

Having the possibility to keep one’s devices original is what @Aneta is embracing. Note the word possibility. Others may like the possibility to get new features. Gotway doesn’t give us the possibility to choose, others do. 

8 hours ago, Aneta said:

Riding character of the wheel is a sacred thing and must be immutable.

I don’t think many first adopters of MSX, 16S, 18XL or V10F agree with you on this one...

 

7 hours ago, Gaz Bon said:

Another issue with 1.07 on my 16X

When charging to 90% 0r 80% with fast charger only on 2A

Charger gets to desired voltage level charger stops ,wheel announces Bluetooth is off ,charger starts up again for 2 sec then hit volt level again and stops wheel then announces Bluetooth is off and charger starts again this repeats over and over .

That sounds to me like the (3rd party) charger wouldn’t be adjusted correctly. I’d contact the seller and ask for a support. Even the eWheels provided fast chargers have duds amongst them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

30 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Probably the biggest difference that I notice is the smoothness... I think that v1.07 is "softer" across the whole charge - and I don't mean that in a bad way, just that it is perhaps more forgiving or maybe less harsh in how it reacts to the situation.

I’m confused. Most people have said the 1.07 to be harder. Which riding mode do you use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

That sounds to me like the (3rd party) charger wouldn’t be adjusted correctly. I’d contact the seller and ask for a support. Even the eWheels provided fast chargers have duds amongst them.

Worked fine on 16X with 1.05 firmware works fine with my MSX 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gaz Bon said:

Another issue with 1.07 on my 16X

When charging to 90% 0r 80% with fast charger only on 2A

Charger gets to desired voltage level charger stops ,wheel announces Bluetooth is off ,charger starts up again for 2 sec then hit volt level again and stops wheel then announces Bluetooth is off and charger starts again this repeats over and over .

Unsure of the ramifications for wheel or charger if left in this state unnoticed 

So looks like fast charger now only good for 100% charging only 

 

 

 

I use the fast charger from 1radwerkstatt without any problems @90% with 1.0.7. 

The charger stop charging at 82V (displayed voltage on the charger) and the wheel shut off completely. 

Edited by buell47

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I’m confused. Most people have said the 1.07 to be harder. Which riding mode do you use?

I change riding mode between "Rider" and "Experienced" all the time... I prefer the firmer ride of "Experienced", but there are a lot of (significant) hills in my riding and I find dropping to "Player" mode works better uphill.

Possibly more significant is the fact that while I ride fast, I don't ride quick! By this I mean that while I ride up to 50 km/h, I do not get there quickly, rather I take my time accelerating slowly - and braking slowly too (unless something faster is necessary). Perhaps this alters the perception of the different FW handling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I change riding mode between "Rider" and "Experienced" all the time... I prefer the firmer ride of "Experienced", but there are a lot of (significant) hills in my riding and I find dropping to "Player" mode works better uphill.

Possibly more significant is the fact that while I ride fast, I don't ride quick! By this I mean that while I ride up to 50 km/h, I do not get there quickly, rather I take my time accelerating slowly - and braking slowly too (unless something faster is necessary). Perhaps this alters the perception of the different FW handling?

I think yes if you accelerate slow and decelerate slow. And if it is ok to change to different riding mode near hills difference between FW minimum.

But in emergency situation you need to decelerate fast and then 1.05 is better imo.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be great to know if KS is working on 1.08...is anyone giving them direct feedback? For all we know, they may think everyone is happy with 1.07 and may not be really working on anything. So far it seems like all the feedback about 1.07 is all personal opinion and nothing concrete other than the beeping introduced by fast chargers > 4A. 

For now, I'm sticking with 1.05 until I see some actual data saying that the wheel's response and battery life is better and the throttling thresholds introduced is something I can live with. I would like the other bug fixes pertaining to lighting, but I can live without it. 1.07 doesn't seem bad by any means, but there's really nothing in the release driving me to update.

Like I've mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I've taken my wheel to max speed a lot and have ridden it until the battery is dry without worry. Hopefully my luck will not run out, but so far 1.05 has been extremely fast, responsive and safe for me.

Edited by HarpMudd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, i have upgraded to V1.07 since October 1st. Basically, acceleration on V1.07 is more sensitive than it on V1.06
As for someone saying emergency brake causing wobbling, I don't have that feeling. While I find it's different with different outer tyre and inner tire pressure.

I used the hercules tyre, the original production used in KS-16X. My weight is around 74.5kg, it's obvious that 3.2 bar brake distance is short than 2.0 bar, also 3.2 bar emergency brake is a little stable than 2.0 bar. This feeling are on city roads, like cement pavement.

For offroad or off-city, I prefer 2.8 bar since it's more comfortable to ride than 3.2 bar, since there is not too much emergency brake. No need to worry about brake distance becoming long.

As for CST tyre, I didn't try it so that i couldn't tell the difference and feeling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I updated to FW 1.07 today and it's great.
I would be interested to know at what battery voltage / percent you guys can hit 50kmh.

Details here:

 

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I updated to FW 1.07 today and it's great.
I would be interested to know at what battery voltage / percent you guys can hit 50kmh.

Details here:

 

image.png

For those of use who don't think in 'voltages', approximated what battery percentage does 71-volts equal?  Likewise 63-volts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

For those of use who don't think in 'voltages', approximated what battery percentage does 71-volts equal?  Likewise 63-volts.

edit: not true, see @RoadRunner post below

16X only:

84V 100%

83V 95%
79V 76%
75V 57%
71V 38%
67V 19%
63.25V 1.2%

63V 0%

The voltage measurements aren't nearly good enough for this level of detail though. So real results may vary.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

16X only:

84V 100%

83V 95%
79V 76%
75V 57%
71V 38%
67V 19%
63.25V 1.2%

63V 0%

The voltage measurements aren't nearly good enough for this level of detail though. So real results may vary.

This is what the booklet of the 16X says. :huh:

9BFDD427-D201-4CB5-B2BC-CCD797DFD950.jpeg.78e581ef2b40d9590b7802d7a2917bde.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

For those of use who don't think in 'voltages', approximated what battery percentage does 71-volts equal?  Likewise 63-volts.

I will update my post with this image as well.

Recalculated using V-value-63*5.

image.png.1c2be45b540b11dcc77668d73fbe3a4d.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

This is what the booklet of the 16X says. :huh:

I assumed that a) 84V is full (like they used to do, but apparently here it's 83V) and b) that they go linearly between 63V and 83V (then at least 2V would be 10%)

Neither is true for that table.

So KS did... some formula. Maybe related to a realistic discharge curve? Another mystery in the world of EUCs:whistling:

Edited by meepmeepmayer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...