rules and how to fight spam

John Eucist

For me in this case not the siganture is the problem.

It is more the postings.

So the user should get a warning first (and of course posting/s are be deleted), then....

Personally I really like signatures they tell me somthing for quick infos about the "member"

Signature is fine, if they first properly introduce themselves and state their agenda. It's the seemingly random posts that annoy the hell out of me. To get post count up or whatever so it looks like they're not a one post wonder, they just spam a bunch of other threads with useless crap and that pisses me off. It kind of insults the intellegence of other forum members, thinking that we won't see through that, and can be misleading to new forum members.

I do not know why signature is unwelcome here? Signatures is a good way to explain what they do,what they can do,just Tom said : signatures can tell you something for quick infos about that one.

Time is valuable,when you posted a question,many guys will answer you,but who is professional? whos answer is right? but, we can know a few info about the follower from their signature,so that we can pick their's brains better.

I think it is ok as long as do not posting Ads everywhere.

I do not know why signature is unwelcome here? Signatures is a good way to explain what they do,what they can do,just Tom said : signatures can tell you something for quick infos about that one.

Time is valuable,when you posted a question,many guys will answer you,but who is professional? whos answer is right? but, we can know a few info about the follower from their signature,so that we can pick their's brains better.

You failed to understand what we are trying to say! No one has any problem with you posting an ad in the ad section or having a signature linking to your website. The problem is you posted a lot of crap in other threads just to get your post count up. What you said in all your other posts did not add anything valuable to the forum. This was the problem - not your ad or your signature.

Now instead of listening and apologizing, you went all defensive and I'm sorry to say you've probably already lost respect on this forum.

Meritus.  As noted by yes8s, your signature is fine.  Even your signature before this current edited one was fine.  The problem is that you are creating a lot of comments on multiple threads that don't contribute to the discussion for the sole purpose of spamming your signature.  I am pretty sure you understand, and if not, you should understand now.  If not, please ask a translator.

This is like a town hall lynching. You put him/her on blast when you could have PM'd him/her and went about your business. Now everyone wants to put their 2cents in and it's pretty rude and you're acting like jerks. Admin, you could have treated with respect to everyone. All you did was point a finger. 

I think there is often a lot that is "Lost in Translation" especially as most of us are using online translation in both directions.

I try to tread gently and make allowances for possible misunderstandings.

This is like a town hall lynching. You put him/her on blast when you could have PM'd him/her and went about your business. Now everyone wants to put their 2cents in and it's pretty rude and you're acting like jerks. Admin, you could have treated with respect to everyone. All you did was point a finger. 

It is a never ending story and at "this" end you will not have enough finger to point.

PM are fine, but not effective at first (in my opinion), so other are warned even befor they try (it is not the first time in here)

If you take time to make a post in the ads and take the time for your signature, then you should have time make posting with sense, otherwise something is in the soup it hasnt be there at all.

Also as a newcomer usually you post never a half a dozen of postings at the first hour.

And as a ADMIN is is never easy and a forum can be easier messed up then repaired in a short time!

BUT good we have this thread to talk about it freely.

It is a never ending story and at "this" end you will not have enough finger to point.

PM are fine, but not effective at first (in my opinion), so other are warned even befor they try (it is not the first time in here)

If you take time to make a post in the ads and take the time for your signature, then you should have time make posting with sense, otherwise something is in the soup it hasnt be there at all.

Also as a newcomer usually you post never a half a dozen of postings at the first hour.

And as a ADMIN is is never easy and a forum can be easier messed up then repaired in a short time!

BUT good we have this thread to talk about it freely.

PM's should be the first step to guide them to the rules and regulations to resolve any issues. Do it privately, it's a win-win situation for everyone and nobody loses face. If he/she ignores it then that's a different matter. The Admins/Moderators should be able to handle the situation quickly and swiftly. They don't need "cheerleaders" (not saying names, you know who you are) to make something out of nothing.

I agree with you that if you're going to post something then try to contribute. Keep in mind, translators don't always work with intended results. So be flexible and don't rush to judgement. 

If someone takes the time to post in the ads and takes time to make their signature informative and pretty, or whatever, then have the common courtesy to NOT post garbage that is spiteful to their respective ad that has nothing to do with what he/she is trying to promote.

Several members already pointed it out in the threads where he was spamming.  It was not private to begin with.  I am thinking that he's pretending (faking) to not understand what we're saying.  I did PM him.  I didn't name him by name in this original post.  The purpose of this post is to discuss and get ideas from other members on how to deal with members who abuse in this sort of way for future forum policy purposes.  He joined this new thread voluntarily himself.  Normal admins and mods would have just mass deleted the spam and banned and that would have been the end of it.

Several members already pointed it out in the threads where he was spamming.  It was not private to begin with.  I am thinking that he's pretending (faking) to not understand what we're saying.  I did PM him.  I didn't name him by name in this original post.  The purpose of this post is to discuss and get ideas from other members on how to deal with members who abuse in this sort of way for future forum policy purposes.  He joined this new thread voluntarily himself.  Normal admins and mods would have just mass deleted the spam and banned and that would have been the end of it.

If there's a kid making a whole lot of noise in a crowded room you pull him/her aside and explain to him/her the rules. Then you ask them to tone it down a bit. Problem solved. If it didn't then at least you tried. Then they suffer the consequences.

You didn't have to name him in the post to know exactly who you were talking about. I'm new and I knew who you were talking about. Look, I think you're doing a good job as an Admin. I'm sure we can both agree that spamming doesn't have a place anywhere. Where we differ is how it was handled. 

If there's a kid making a whole lot of noise in a crowded room you pull him/her aside and explain to him/her the rules. Then you ask them to tone it down a bit. Problem solved. If it didn't then at least you tried. Then they suffer the consequences.

You didn't have to name him in the post to know exactly who you were talking about. I'm new and I knew who you were talking about. Look, I think you're doing a good job as an Admin. I'm sure we can both agree that spamming doesn't have a place anywhere. Where we differ is how it was handled. 

The difference here is that I wanted to discuss with the other members here on how something like this should be handled in the future.  It's an unprecedented spamming strategy (for this forum).  I cannot do this without talking about it.  I also genuinely care about what the community thinks.  The issue has been brought up in the threads by several people already.

It isn't standard spamming.  The comments left by the user can arguably be considered legitimate despite being of low value.  The underlying incentive is to maximize exposure of the ad in the signature.

I was contemplating to make a rule so that ADVERTISING (with links) in a signature would be disallowed.  With this rule the user would no longer have an incentive to replying to 16 different threads in a row with random low-contribution comments for the SOLE purpose of maximizing the exposure of the advertising content in their signature.

However, based on feedback (which couldn't have happened if I didn't ask) it appears most want to allow advertisements in the signature.  Hence, at this time, I will continue to allow advertisements in the signature unless it becomes heavily abused again.

Archived