KS18XL 2200W motor

Cuba Gonzalez

Hi All,

First of all I would like to say that I really appreciate the discussion and videos in this thread. This is all VERY useful.

I am thinking about upgrading my KS18L (purchased in May 2018, board v1.1), but I am not sure the 2200W motor is compatible. Does anyone have experience upgrading this first version of the 18L?

Also, on my 18L I had to replace the bearings after about 3000km. Does anyone know if the 2200W has different bearings than the 18L?

Lastly, I have been searching online for EU dealers where I can purchase the motor from, but I have been unable to find one. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good dealer? I live in Spain.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Aneta said:

Does anyone know the weight difference between 2000W and 2200W motors?

If I do end up switching back to the 2000w motor I'll let you know. But I only have a cheap bathroom scale. Not sure how accurate it is.

On 1/13/2020 at 1:50 PM, Purplecycle said:

I am thinking about upgrading my KS18L (purchased in May 2018, board v1.1), but I am not sure the 2200W motor is compatible. Does anyone have experience upgrading this first version of the 18L?

Honestly with the way my 18L is feeling on fw 2.0 I would suggest that a battery upgrade to the ~1600wh one found in the XL would make much more of a positive difference to performance as well as range and safety than this motor "upgrade". If such a thing exists for those of us who aren't (yet) ewheels customers, my searches thus far have been unsuccessful but I haven't reached out to anyone personally. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flyboy10 said:

If I do end up switching back to the 2000w motor I'll let you know. But I only have a cheap bathroom scale. Not sure how accurate it is.

Have you had anymore problems after updating to the new software? Is the swap worth it? 

49 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Have you had anymore problems after updating to the new software? Is the swap worth it? 

If the noise is gone on both motors and with the 2000w I get 25% throttling instead of 50% and more stability at higher speeds with less likelihood of overlean, then yes, it will be worth swapping back if that's what you meant. I love the new firmware. I might give it some more time and see if I can figure out why I keep hearing over lean beeps when I'm at a constant speed. I guess I could do a range test to see if I can beat 62 miles like what I did on the 2000w motor. From initial reports the new motor should have more range.

To sum up, love the software, not so sure about the motor. It might be interesting to swap back and see if I can feel a difference. I rode a friend's original XL but it felt so different from mine I felt like it wasn't a good comparison.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SpaceT said:

Can someone sent me the login password for the soft tuner. I’m trying to “unbrick” my ks16s 4 days now...

username: eWheelsLLC    password: n3verf0g0t

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rywokast said:

username: eWheelsLLC    password: n3verf0g0t

@SpaceT Some quirks to note with the Soft Tuner app to be aware of:

• you need to click the "Bluetooth ON" button in the app when you first open to connect. When it switches to say "Bluetooth OFF", you know you have connected
  • you need to turn the screen sideways (landscape mode) to see the Update Firmware button
  • in the firmware update screen, when you click Update it starts right away without any prompting

10 minutes ago, brockj said:

@SpaceT Some quirks to note with the Soft Tuner app to be aware of:

• you need to click the "Bluetooth ON" button in the app when you first open to connect. When it switches to say "Bluetooth OFF", you know you have connected
  • you need to turn the screen sideways (landscape mode) to see the Update Firmware button
  • in the firmware update screen, when you click Update it starts right away without any prompting

I choose V201 ,pressed update 

but nothing seems to move

is there a case that my Wheel is so screwed up and don’t even take this update?

Just now, SpaceT said:

I choose V201 ,pressed update 

but nothing seems to move

is there a case that my Wheel is so screwed up and don’t even take this update?

I've heard before that people have still been able to do this if their machine is bricked, so hopefully not.

Does it show the "Current" firmware version at the top? If so, you know it's connected. If not, it somehow lost its Bluetooth connection. I would just turn the wheel off, force quit the app, and try it over again. It was acting a little quirky for me too in the last update (in my case, BT kept on disconnecting as soon as I opened the Soft Tuner app), but that helped. 

Current FW version: V

2 minutes ago, brockj said:

I've heard before that people have still been able to do this if their machine is bricked, so hopefully not.

Does it show the "Current" firmware version at the top? If so, you know it's connected. If not, it somehow lost its Bluetooth connection. I would just turn the wheel off, force quit the app, and try it over again. It was acting a little quirky for me too in the last update (in my case, BT kept on disconnecting as soon as I opened the Soft Tuner app), but that helped. 

Current firmware version: V

i can’t turn off the wheel nothing is working expect Bluetooth connection.

My wheel is like this 4 days 

1 minute ago, SpaceT said:

My ks16s seems not to be able to receive any firmware 

it also display the message illegal device 
in the KS soft tuner 

What is the serial number of your wheel?

2 minutes ago, SpaceT said:

My ks16s seems not to be able to receive any firmware 

it also display the message illegal device 
in the KS soft tuner 

Your wheel is now in update mode. In this mode even KS SoftTuner app won't be able to read your device type and serial number.

1. You have to just connect with your wheel by pressing BLUETOOTH OFF button. It may need many trials and errors, so just be patient. At some try it will finally connect. You may need to restart this app several times or restart your wheels until it connects.
  2. When you finally connect your wheel, rotate device so it is in horizontal (landscape) mode. App will seem to reset and connection will be closed. Just reconnect keeping device in horizontal mode.
  3. After connection is estabilished, scroll down and press FIRMWARE UPGRADE button.
  4. Now you have to manually select KS-16S and 2.00 firmware. Be careful not to select other device name.
  5. Finally, press UPGRADE and wait for it to finish.

This should solve your problem.

• Like 1

Just now, SpaceT said:

How to restart my wheel? The buttons doesn’t work 

Press and hold for a few seconds.

30 minutes ago, SpaceT said:

Nothing happened.

maybe should I disconnect the battery?

Worth to try.

18 minutes ago, Preston Palmer said:

Just installed the 2200W on my 18XL and updated to LH 2.0 firmware.  SO GOOD!!!!!  Way more torque.  Seems smoother all around.  Loving it. Like a brand new wheel!

How it is behaving between 25-30mph? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 林延光 said:

How can I tell the upgrade finished? How long does it take? After clicking upgrade, I do not see any indication of progress.

Looks I have exactly the same issue as @SpaceT

if you dont see an indication of progress, then thats bad.. there is a progress indicator both on the app and with your wheels side lights.. also iirc there is a long beep after its finished and the app screen would change... it would be very obvious that its done