KS18XL 2200W motor

Cuba Gonzalez

2 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

if you dont see an indication of progress, then thats bad.. there is a progress indicator both on the app and with your wheels side lights.. also iirc there is a long beep after its finished and the app screen would change... it would be very obvious that its done

Thanks! Finally got it working. I just kept trying and magically progress bar showed up. Then it is done in 2-3 minutes.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

My ks18xl 2200w motor only shows version v1,12 and says it's the latest upgrade..I even downloaded the latest kingsong app today.

Cannot be upgraded to v2?

1 hour ago, Eric plam said:

My ks18xl 2200w motor only shows version v1,12 and says it's the latest upgrade..I even downloaded the latest kingsong app today.

Cannot be upgraded to v2?

You will need to use the KingSong tech app to update to the LH software.  Or try DarknessBot

16 minutes ago, Preston Palmer said:

You will need to use the KingSong tech app to update to the LH software.  Or try DarknessBot

I've tried the kingsong tech app but the wheel just doesn't even connect. 

I'll try darknessbot

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 4:07 AM, Flyboy10 said:

If the noise is gone on both motors and with the 2000w I get 25% throttling instead of 50% and more stability at higher speeds with less likelihood of overlean, then yes, it will be worth swapping back if that's what you meant. I love the new firmware. I might give it some more time and see if I can figure out why I keep hearing over lean beeps when I'm at a constant speed. I guess I could do a range test to see if I can beat 62 miles like what I did on the 2000w motor. From initial reports the new motor should have more range.

To sum up, love the software, not so sure about the motor. It might be interesting to swap back and see if I can feel a difference. I rode a friend's original XL but it felt so different from mine I felt like it wasn't a good comparison.

Hi @Flyboy10,
could you give an update on how the wheel performed over the last three month with the new motor?

How much does the wheel throttle starting at 50% point and from there on (max speeds)?

How is the milage with the new motor?

Are you switching back?

I am asking these questions because I am just about to buy a new wheel and was thinking of getting the 18XL with the 2200W motor (coming from 840 Wh 16s).

Greatings from Germany 😄

Unfortunately, I have not done much testing since getting my MSX. I have yet to do a range test. Throttling still happens around 50% I believe but it is very gradual. Unfortunately, I broke my collar bone so I won't be able to give you any more answers soon. From what I understand, all 18xl wheel come with the new motor. So unless you buy used there is no choice. The 18xl is an amazing wheel and I honestly think I the only reason I don't like it as much anymore is because I ride a Gotway more often. Everytime I get back on the 18xl I smile though and enjoy the ride. It's just too slow.

On 5/6/2020 at 6:59 PM, Flyboy10 said:

Unfortunately, I broke my collar bone

That sucks! Did you break it coming off a wheel?

I have a metal one from a dirt bike mess up. They are the body's crumple zone!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Flying W said:

Did you break it coming off a wheel?

Yes. Classic cutout due to low battery (unknown to me) 

• Like 1

@Flyboy10 sorry to hear that. hopefully you have a speedy recovery.

what would you say the difference is that still makes the 18xl a wheel that makes you smile still at the lower speeds that a the msx can't provide at those speeds? i can't really decide what i want to upgrade to

2 hours ago, someguy152 said:

what would you say the difference is that still makes the 18xl a wheel that makes you smile still at the lower speeds that a the msx can't provide at those speeds? i can't really decide what i want to upgrade to

comfort, nimbleness, practicality, range, looks, assembly.. lol literally the only thing the msx has over it is speed

edit: not me personally but yes i know some prefer the wider tire that provides more cushion on the msx.. i personally prefer thinner tires but thats up to your preference its not objective

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 1:37 PM, Gatrixx2k said:

could you give an update on how the wheel performed over the last three month with the new motor?

How much does the wheel throttle starting at 50% point and from there on (max speeds)?

How is the milage with the new motor?

Are you switching back?

I am asking these questions because I am just about to buy a new wheel and was thinking of getting the 18XL with the 2200W motor (coming from 840 Wh 16s).

I also did the 2200W motor upgrade from an original 2000W 18XL.

Recently I was able to repeat a 50km ride to compare stats. The terrain was mostly on paved road, with a lot of hills.

2000W (firmware v1.12)
Avg speed: 29.5 kph
Battery usage: 65%

2200W (firmware v2.0)
Avg speed: 31.5 kph
Battery usage: 75%

Temperature for both rides: ~7-deg Celcius

The upgraded 2200W was a pleasure going up hill. I could really attack the hills with less effort and foot fatigue. This more aggressive riding likely caused the additional battery usage, along with the higher wind resistance at higher speed.

The ride out was more fun because of the additional torque and acceleration available on the 2200W motor, however, the ride home was a bit of a bummer with speed warnings kicking in at 50% battery.

Overall I'm very happy with the 2200W 18XL. 

• Like 2

On 5/8/2020 at 10:41 PM, Flyboy10 said:

Yes. Classic cutout due to low battery (unknown to me) 

it's a little funny to see someone say that the 18XL is too slow, who recently broke their collar bone from a low battery cutout which is directly correlated to speed O.o not harshing just thought it was a little ironic... luckily (or not depending how you look at it) the wind here more often than not makes it quite a nuisance to actually go 50+ anyways.. could be why I haven't died yet.. anyways sounds extremely painful hope you heal up quickly and get back on as normal

On 5/8/2020 at 11:11 PM, someguy152 said:

How quiet the ride is. the comfort and everything that everyone above mentioned. I feel safer on the MSX than the 18XL any day. 

On 5/9/2020 at 1:27 PM, Rywokast said:

... the 18XL it is my absolute favourite wheel I could be on it all day

I agree with you 100%. I absolutely love my 18xl with the 2200W.  I can ride it all day. No complaints. It's the best well rounded and refined wheel available at this time. 

• Like 2

I would go with rywokast opinion. But adding that I indeed prefer the 2000w motor. It doesn't throttle at50% like the 2200. Had them both and kept the first..

But if the v10f had just a little more power and battery it would have been my favorite. Sooo comfortable

Msx is fantastic, but it's grinding my calf and really not as robust as the xl..they say it's a nice off road wheel, but you might also destroy it.. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Preston Palmer said:

I agree with you 100%. I absolutely love my 18xl with the 2200W.  I can ride it all day. No complaints. It's the best well rounded and refined wheel available at this time. 

Do you prefer it over the 16X?